PDA

View Full Version : Greatest song

barffyman
01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I personally believe this to be one of their greatest songs. It's the only song I actually wept to. I was driving home, and listening to it for the 100th time something clicked with the lyrics and my eyes started watering. However, I found a personal link from this song to a salvia experience, which caused an overwhelming flow of emotions. I wish I could hear this live.

Though I usually smirk when he sings, "before I/we pine away", because I'm always reminded of Monty Python's Parrot Sketch - "Pining for the fjords?"

Does anyone know what that instrument being played in the beginning is (it also appears in Triad)? It sounds like some middle-eastern woodwind, but I guess it could just be a clarinet or something.

Arkham Asylum
01-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Coincidentally, this is also the only song (ever, not just Tool's) that has brought me to tears. That is part of the reason why it is my favorite song (ever, not just by Tool). I'll elaborate more later because I'm kinda tired right now.

resonance.
01-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Arkham... I'm stealing your avatar.

Pavlov_Dog
01-29-2007, 06:37 PM
I definitely have to agree with this. Though no song has ever made me cry, this one definitely gives me chills and makes me experience emotions I don't usually experience.

At first Lateralus was my favourite from the CD, then after getting into Reflection, it quickly shifted. Definitely Tool's greatest work in my mind.

APT
02-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Does anyone know what that instrument being played in the beginning is (it also appears in Triad)? It sounds like some middle-eastern woodwind, but I guess it could just be a clarinet or something.

It's a Sarangi. I'm not sure who plays it though.

barffyman
02-10-2007, 10:32 AM
It's a Sarangi. I'm not sure who plays it though.

thank you!

here's a link to wikipedia's entry on the instrument:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarangi

mr. nikki jensen
02-10-2007, 01:25 PM
probably one of their greatest songs...