PDA

View Full Version : Suicide

Intolerable
01-27-2007, 08:56 PM
I am ashamed to admitt it, but during some of my darkest moments I have contemplated commiting suicide. I'm sure many of you have been there before, whether it be because of depression, a tramatic event, etc.

That's what this song appears to be about...allow me to elaborate...

A groan of tedium escapes me,
Startling the fearful.
Is this a test? It has to be,
Otherwise I can't go on.

From my experiences, it sounds like the singer is experiencing depression, now to the extent that he is contemplating suicide. Everything is boring, meaningless (tedium). The singer is experiencing some deep emotional pain ('this')...and it hurts so badly that it's almost not worth putting up with anymore. The pain has to be a 'test'...because otherwise it would just be meaningless, and seemingly never-ending, pain. The singer needs to convince himself that it all will go away, because otherwise he would give in and end it all right away.

Draining patience, drain vitality.
This paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

He's trying to endure, but his patience and vitality are both being drained. The 'paranoid paralyzed vampire act' is life, and it's getting "old" in the sense that it seems to be without purpose.

But I'm still right here
Giving blood, keeping faith
And I'm still right here.

Despite all of the suffering, all of the serious contemplation of suicide, he's hanging in there (so far)...he's still keeping faith that the pain will go away, that things will have meaning again.

Wait it out,
Gonna wait it out,
Be patient (wait it out).

It's all a "test"...right? He just needs to pass the test, to wait it all out, things will get better...right?

If there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through

When I was going through this, I kept telling myself that life will get better...there's so many things that I haven't experienced...and I had my loved ones to help me through it. They're "rewards" in the sense that by passing the test (not commiting suicide) you get 'rewarded' by experiencing the joy again.

This tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

That's all that's keeping him here...and were it not for the thought of a better tomorrow (which may never come) and loved ones, he would have ended his life already.

Gonna wait it out.

Still not giving in to the temptation again...

If there were no desire to heal
The damaged and broken met along

Just another reason that he'll hang in there...he wants to overcome this, and not succumb to it...but it's getting tougher.

And I still may ... (sigh) ... I still may.

Despite all his attempts at rationalization, and all of these reasons for sticking around, the pain isn't going away. He still may end his life.

Be patient.
I must keep reminding myself of this.

Think of the quote as " 'Be patient': I must keep reminding myself of this. " He needs to keep reminding himself to be patient, to not give up, to hang in there.

And if there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.
And I still may.

This is just repeating the process described above, the rationalizing and self-convinving, and the never-ending urge to commit suicide nonetheless. It's also significant to note that he repeate "And I still may" several times.

Gonna wait it out.

He sticks to his guns, and don't succumb. He's going to be 'patient' and wait it out. He's managed to convince himself that the pain will end.

Mattywasaracecardriver
01-28-2007, 06:25 PM
With depression in mind, this definatley seems to be an appropriate song to link with suicide. though this song has the ability to be linked with any personal struggle or problem, and i think that is one of the reasons the song is called the patient. "the Patient" is anonomous, we are all patients. we all have problems, and this song portrays that feeling of battling with the problem.

also another little idea i had, so ill just say it on the end of this post, is that the beat to this song sounds like a movement of time. like its beating down, counting down, or just the sound of a mechanism of a clock. this fits in with the idea of being patient and waiting it out, its all a matter of time, one just needs to see if they can endure it long enough to get through it. This perhaps links with your idea of contemplating suicide.
just something i find interesting about the music creating the atmosphere of this song.

TheJameck
01-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Awesome stuff. I love this song and how it applies to my own life. It gives me hope in gloom hours and reminds my that the sun will still rise tommorow.

Arkham Asylum
01-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Suicide is one very appropriate interpretation for this song. I agree with one of the other posts that "The Patient" can refer to any struggle. It's a beautiful song that can help remind anyone that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes all you need is a little inspiration.

Mr. Electric Ocean
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Well done Intolerable.

Gently
02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
i like how you connected with this, i have too.

suicide? that too.

fixmenow
02-19-2007, 08:49 AM
oh i love the patient... i definitely can relate to this as im sure we all can somehow within our darkest days and pasts

a-groan-of-tedium
02-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I have had an unfortunate event happen, and I’ve thought of suicide. This song will be medicine. So, thanks for you interpretation. I've never thought of suicide during this song, just a small struggle.

dseecs
02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
I have to agree, thats why I love tool so much, any one song can mean so many things, they all help me through he dark times (such as contemplating suicide).

This song has so many meanings, and they all fit so well.

O.G.T.92
03-11-2007, 05:34 PM
this is the best lyrical interpretation i've seen in a while. I hadn't thought of this idea before, and it has now become yet another story I think of when hearing this song. If people only understood the power in this band, goddamn they're good.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Well done Intolerable.

Agreed.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-15-2007, 08:07 PM
this is the best lyrical interpretation i've seen in a while. I hadn't thought of this idea before, and it has now become yet another story I think of when hearing this song. If people only understood the power in this band, goddamn they're good.

The power of this band is amazing and personally i dont give a sh*t people do not listen to TOOL. They are just short-minded dumbass's so if they dont want to listen well then F**k them.

Tool Rules.

burning_purity
03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Now that you mention that, it does kinda relate, although I doubt that was Tool's singular purpose. Thanks man. Now I have yet ANOTHER way to listen to this, haha.

Cheesegreater
03-22-2007, 08:20 AM
The power of this band is amazing and personally i dont give a sh*t people do not listen to TOOL. They are just short-minded dumbass's so if they dont want to listen well then F**k them.

Tool Rules.

Dude... I love how straight-fucking-forward you are. I agree that they are "short-minded assholes" but hardly anyone has the balls to just say it like that. Tool's music is very enriching, and a lot of people are just afraid to go that deep. The music or message gets to deep and its right back up to the surface again. I think a lot of people don't want to believe Tool has messages like they do. They want to believe they've already got their philosophy on life figured out, and they'll be damned if some metal band is going to try to suggest different ideas to them. Escpecially people who keep their distance from Tool. A lot of those folks just want to believe that they are some kind of Devil worshippers trying to hypnotize people with their trance-like music to do Satan's bidding. Stupid fucking people run-a-muck. Oh well.

I definitely see the suicide theme. When you contemplate suicide you look at life as being this test. You are filled with questions and dissatisfied wondering if you are being tested. You feel like you're being drained. Excellent work Intolerable.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-22-2007, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=Cheesegreater;1820347]Dude... I love how straight-fucking-forward you are. I agree that they are "short-minded assholes" but hardly anyone has the balls to just say it like that. Tool's music is very enriching, and a lot of people are just afraid to go that deep. The music or message gets to deep and its right back up to the surface again. I think a lot of people don't want to believe Tool has messages like they do. They want to believe they've already got their philosophy on life figured out, and they'll be damned if some metal band is going to try to suggest different ideas to them. Escpecially people who keep their distance from Tool. A lot of those folks just want to believe that they are some kind of Devil worshippers trying to hypnotize people with their trance-like music to do Satan's bidding. Stupid fucking people run-a-muck. Oh well.

I feel the same way man...its like people avoid TOOL like you said. they are just so caught up on this mainstream bullshit that is constantly on the radio and if they havent heard a song a billion times before they dont wanna bothered. i also think that people are afraid of TOOL because they are a progressive band. they just want a 3 min song that has no substance and smoke their fu*kin weed. but like i said if they dont have the patience to listen to Tool and understand their messages...More TOOL for us man. Plain and simple. Love TOOL.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Dude... I love how straight-fucking-forward you are. I agree that they are "short-minded assholes" but hardly anyone has the balls to just say it like that. Tool's music is very enriching, and a lot of people are just afraid to go that deep. The music or message gets to deep and its right back up to the surface again. I think a lot of people don't want to believe Tool has messages like they do. They want to believe they've already got their philosophy on life figured out, and they'll be damned if some metal band is going to try to suggest different ideas to them. Escpecially people who keep their distance from Tool. A lot of those folks just want to believe that they are some kind of Devil worshippers trying to hypnotize people with their trance-like music to do Satan's bidding. Stupid fucking people run-a-muck. Oh well.

I feel the same way man...its like people avoid TOOL like you said. they are just so caught up on this mainstream bullshit that is constantly on the radio and if they havent heard a song a billion times before they dont wanna be bothered. i also think that people are afraid of TOOL because they are a progressive band. they just want a 3 min song that has no substance and smoke their fu*kin weed. but like i said if they dont have the patience to listen to Tool and understand their messages...More TOOL for us man. I like to be a straight foward with alot of topics..thanks for your compliment dude. Love TOOL peace

Alex in Chains
03-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I also relate to this song a lot. After my second year of college, I was seriously considering not going back, but this song ("If there were no rewards to reap/No loving embrace to see me through/This tedious path I've chosen here/I certainly would have walked away by now") was instrumental in my decision to finish.

Elgyn
03-22-2007, 11:56 PM
I've had this interpretation myself numerous times in the past, but I try and take something more positive from it these days. It really does work with the question of whether or not to go on with life, and to me this song's always been positive, a reminder that there are things around to make it worthwhile.

But anyway, a quote from 2002-10-11:

"Every now and then, you get caught up in your daily return, you get bogged down by the bullshit, and you lose touch with why you chose to do what you do. You lose touch with what matters. And then you come to a place like this, and you're reminded. So thank you for reminding us why we do this. This is a song about remembering why you do what you do..." - Maynard.

I've also thought, along the way that Maynard might have been singing about the process of song-writing / being in a band. Kinda cool to hear.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
03-24-2007, 01:06 PM
I also relate to this song a lot. After my second year of college, I was seriously considering not going back, but this song ("If there were no rewards to reap/No loving embrace to see me through/This tedious path I've chosen here/I certainly would have walked away by now") was instrumental in my decision to finish.

Classic TOOL motivation. Good Stuff. Congrats.

masta killa
03-26-2007, 02:25 AM
I think the thought of suicide is a way to look at this song for sure...("but i'm still right here, giving blood, keeping faith). I've never thought of it like that myself, but hell, it makes perfect sense.

And yes, fuck people if they don't want to take the time to absorb Tool's music and message...it's their loss. I've gained and it was worth every minute.

marek
04-04-2007, 04:16 AM
With depression in mind, this definatley seems to be an appropriate song to link with suicide. though this song has the ability to be linked with any personal struggle or problem, and i think that is one of the reasons the song is called the patient. "the Patient" is anonomous, we are all patients. we all have problems, and this song portrays that feeling of battling with the problem.

also another little idea i had, so ill just say it on the end of this post, is that the beat to this song sounds like a movement of time. like its beating down, counting down, or just the sound of a mechanism of a clock. this fits in with the idea of being patient and waiting it out, its all a matter of time, one just needs to see if they can endure it long enough to get through it. This perhaps links with your idea of contemplating suicide.
just something i find interesting about the music creating the atmosphere of this song.

Oh Fuck!! I was wondering if someone is hearing that clock too. Man, I was thinking about it the same way... I was explaining it to myself like "trippy clock mechanism"... Especially guitar on the start and at the end.

And it has something to do with my explaining of the song.
Clock at the start and at the end - Like a Birth and Death. Everything ends how it starts...
I have to wait my life out to release my self from it.
Life is but a dream!!! Gonna wait it out...

marek
04-04-2007, 04:20 AM
But I like that thought of suicide too... At least its nearly the same idea..

Kelley
04-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I have to agree with everything said here. The song is a great link to suicide.

When I listen to it, it reminds me of my job. I am not always happy at work, and wonder if this has been the right career move.... "if there were no loveing embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here I certainly would have walked away by now"...it explains excactly how I feel...gives me goosebumps.

As for Tool themselves, I dont know how many times I have tried to get my girlfriend to listen to Tool, and she has always wanted nothing to do with them...so after a while I just gave up and thought 'you can listen to your mainstream crap, whereas I will continue to be enriched with everything Tool teaches me'

Enough said.

Alex in Chains
04-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Classic TOOL motivation. Good Stuff. Congrats.

Thanks, but I think my parents would roll their eyes if I told them a rock song (partly) inspired me to finish my degree. I guess I'm a hopeless music geek.

Esurient4Truth
04-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks, but I think my parents would roll their eyes if I told them a rock song (partly) inspired me to finish my degree. I guess I'm a hopeless music geek.

:)

I feel ya.

PShepherd11
04-04-2007, 05:28 PM
The suicide idea is an interesting one. More often, I relate this song to a difficult relationship, but another thought I had was the singer addressing himself, encouraging himself through rough times; not exactly suicide though. Good idea.

I also think the title bears both meanings of the word at once. "The patient", as in the ones who are patient (having patience) and "patient" as in someone needing to be cared for.

Clutch_The_Cornerstone
04-04-2007, 07:34 PM

if you tell them say this "Mom...Dad...this is what helps me through my difficult times...a little band called TOOL..thanks maynard" haha enough said. Cheers

There is no spoon
05-02-2007, 05:26 PM
This song is about Maynard taking care of his mother. The Patient is his mother. Plain & simple. Look at the lyrics.

mawrestler_140
05-02-2007, 06:42 PM

When I listen to it, it reminds me of my job. I am not always happy at work, and wonder if this has been the right career move.... "if there were no loveing embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here I certainly would have walked away by now"...it explains excactly how I feel...gives me goosebumps.

As for Tool themselves, I dont know how many times I have tried to get my girlfriend to listen to Tool, and she has always wanted nothing to do with them...so after a while I just gave up and thought 'you can listen to your mainstream crap, whereas I will continue to be enriched with everything Tool teaches me'

Enough said.

Next time I have a girlfriend I will literally spend all my time getting her to like tool. I dont think I could date a girl who only liked mainstream pop and shit.

Cheesegreater
05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Next time I have a girlfriend I will literally spend all my time getting her to like tool. I dont think I could date a girl who only liked mainstream pop and shit.

Do it man. It's easy to convert people. I've seen people from all types of backgrounds get into Tool. With how much I listen to Tool I couldn't stand a girlfriend that didn't "get" them or like them at all. It would just kill me. It'd be like a jew dating a catholic... I don't know.

weesper
05-03-2007, 07:56 AM

Enough said.

He I just like to post this real quick. Last sunday I was out with this girl and after spending time in a musuem and having drinks after we go to my place and by the third bottle of wine we come upon the subject of scuba diving and I bring up that everything down there is just so beautiful that 'well it makes me think of this song by a band called Tool, you might know them?'. Turns out she's the biggest Tool lover, knows all the lyrics and completely has her own ideas about songs. Never met any girl like that (dont start asking where we are now, both our situations are a little 'complex').

As for 'The patient', in my opinion the song is literally about donating blood; you're sitting in that chair with a huge needle up your arm, and you can actually see and feel the blood being drained from your body. All you can do is be patient and wait it out even though there is no reward to reap. Plain and simple but a very MJK subject to write a song about.

OuRsOuLsInMoTiOn
05-03-2007, 08:27 AM
This song for me is about my life in general.

I have conformed to what everyone else has wanted me to do for a long time, Ive been bored and felt trapped. But I've also tried to be patient. I'm scared to move on by myself as it's not just my life I'm in control of. My fear of stumbling has held me back more than I realised.

I've never discussed any of this with anyone, I have never even expressed my thoughts on tool with anyone and now im sitting here telling a bunch of strangers how this band makes me feel. Tool lights my life, this song is my lowest point expressed in a way that gives me hope.

Eulogy33
05-30-2007, 09:26 PM
"gonna wait it out"...whatever dark/depressive things may happen in life, you always have to have hope and wait it out.