PDA

View Full Version : ticks and leeches LIVE

thirdPRIEDeye
06-24-2003, 06:53 AM
I can't quite remember who it was in this forum who had said Tool has NEVER played Ticks and Leeches Live, but they were wrong, because I have a bootlegged video of them playing it in Ft. Lauderdale on their last show with Phantomas. They decicated it to them because it was a song they don't usually do. It was great as well, but it was one of the shows where Maynard isolated himself off in the corner, so you can't see him singing but you sure can hear him.

~PEACE_

TheDisturbed1
03-02-2004, 08:43 AM
I can't quite remember who it was in this forum who had said Tool has NEVER played Ticks and Leeches Live, but they were wrong, because I have a bootlegged video of them playing it in Ft. Lauderdale on their last show with Phantomas. They decicated it to them because it was a song they don't usually do. It was great as well, but it was one of the shows where Maynard isolated himself off in the corner, so you can't see him singing but you sure can hear him.

~PEACE_

i have that video aswell.this song has been performed once or twice i think!

Maynard used some kinda effects in this performance..didn't he?

Abhored-Paradox
03-02-2004, 12:14 PM
i was at the Ft.Lauderdale show Ticks and Leaches along with the rest of the show was amazing and out of all the Maynard concerts TooL and A Perfect Circle i've NEVER heard his voice crack.

Mehhico
03-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Well, this is my take on the whole T&L phenomena:

When recording it, Maynard fucked his voice up pretty bad and it took him a few days to get over it. Hence, he doesn't really want to risk singing it live.

The band has, however, performed it live as stated, but with very crazy voice effects to assist him with those long, scratchy screams. (If anyone knows what Maynard uses to get these effects, let me know).

Don't quote me, though, because that is only what I have heard.

Take care,
Andy

Chaos Theory
03-03-2004, 08:04 AM
The band has, however, performed it live as stated, but with very crazy voice effects to assist him with those long, scratchy screams. (If anyone knows what Maynard uses to get these effects, let me know).

Perhaps the screams are a direct sample from Lateralus. It would give the same sound without any risk of voice blowout.

Just a thought...

Mehhico
03-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Perhaps the screams are a direct sample from Lateralus. It would give the same sound without any risk of voice blowout.

Just a thought...

Possibly, but there is something in it which sounds very flange-like. I dunno, it still sounds pretty alright though. I mean, I wouldn't be complaining if they played it at a gig (still waiting to go to a Tool concert, very upset about this.......)

Regards,
Andy

crazypsycho6666
04-26-2004, 03:48 PM

I read somewhere that he uses the digitech voice proccessor.
i think that this one is it
http://www.digitech.com/products/vocal300.htm.

damn can someone please tell me where to find the T&L live video PLEAZE!

Echoghost
04-26-2004, 05:03 PM
I thought I read in the FAQ that he will never perform it live, because it was 3 weeks where MJK lost his voice.

swaps
04-26-2004, 06:49 PM
damn can someone please tell me where to find the T&L live video PLEAZE!
Can't help with the video, but there's audio here (http://tinyurl.com/2m2ud).
I thought I read in the FAQ that he will never perform it live, because it was 3 weeks where MJK lost his voice.
Kabir will update the FAQ sometime in the future. Ticks and Leeches has been performed live 15 times (http://www.distortiononline.com/content/stats.php?songID=47&playedSongs=type).

blue/shimmering
07-16-2004, 07:47 AM

~PEACE_

where can i get that video?

Harold
07-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Kazaa

chrisN
08-11-2004, 06:15 PM
They performed it in Ca. Maynard uses a sound effect that beautifully distorts his voice. Prior to playing he talks about how they "have some very important hollywood guests in the audience". He asks if they can get them "anything, beer, a pillow for your fucking seat." That little speach could shed some light on the meaning. However, don't focus on the words more than you do the music. The music is far more entertaining than the words because there is no argument that it is filled with anger.

Cyanide ChrYst
08-23-2004, 01:00 AM

Take care,
Andy

They're probably just completely pre-recorded. That's what I'd do. And it's not like anybody would ever be able to tell.

TheHolyGift
08-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Possibly, but there is something in it which sounds very flange-like. I dunno, it still sounds pretty alright though. I mean, I wouldn't be complaining if they played it at a gig (still waiting to go to a Tool concert, very upset about this.......)

Yeah, that video actually had me playing Ticks and Leeches on guitar with flange for a while. Personally, I think the flange on his voice sounds terrible. It seems like it dulls and distorts it. But I guess I shouldn't complain; we're lucky they even performed it at all.

Cyanide ChrYst
08-27-2004, 02:31 PM
I have a live version of The Patient that is so amazing. The video and sound quality are so much better than any other live videos of theirs I've ever seen.

Oeps
08-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Cyanide ChrYst; where have you found it; could you please send it to me?
[email protected]

I've seen ticks & leeches in Nijmegen Ozzfest too. It's like Maynard is screaming into a guitar which alterns his voice. pretty cool guitar if you ask me and the song sounds great live!

Cyanide ChrYst
08-28-2004, 10:09 PM
I found it on kazaa. type in "Tool Live" and download the video. It took me like twelve hours because there was only one fucker who owned it. I've even got cable. *sigh*

Lackymacky
08-30-2004, 09:46 AM
awww

someone send me shiiit pleaseeeeeeeee i have sloowwww internet

and i dont have any videos of them

NOR have i seen them live

=( someone help this N00b of a tool fan

Cyanide ChrYst
08-30-2004, 02:25 PM
It would take 2 hours for me to send it and 30 hours for you to receive it.
Do that on yer own time, sweetheart.

Lackymacky
08-30-2004, 09:00 PM
:(

i dont have kazaa!

or ares!

or WINmx!

:-/

Raev'n
09-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Yeah i have the good version of the patient too. And a WICKED version of Lateralus. I dunno if anyone here has it but at the end they all get together and huddle on the stage at the end...?

GAiDEN-CHaKRa
12-02-2004, 06:18 AM
(If anyone knows what Maynard uses to get these effects, let me know).

I've seen the video live as well, but what he is using for his voice is a flanger effect I do believe. I think it will make him so he doesn't have to scream as much, more sing into the mic with the flanger and it will give the nasty sound. Of course not as good as original voice, but atleast they can play it.

Useful Idiot
09-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Well,reading about him singing into a guitar looking thing made me think that maybe he was singing through the guitar pick-ups.This is completely possible,with certain effects of course(I'm guessing,I've never tried it).I do know it's possible because Brandon Boyd of Incubus does that in the beginning of the studio version of "Make Yourself".I know this because I've read that it's what he does,and there's a video of him doing it on the When Incubus Attacks,Vol. 2 DVD(for those curious Incubus fans here,I know there are some).

Tool Aenema462
10-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Well,reading about him singing into a guitar looking thing made me think that maybe he was singing through the guitar pick-ups.This is completely possible,with certain effects of course(I'm guessing,I've never tried it).I do know it's possible because Brandon Boyd of Incubus does that in the beginning of the studio version of "Make Yourself".I know this because I've read that it's what he does,and there's a video of him doing it on the When Incubus Attacks,Vol. 2 DVD(for those curious Incubus fans here,I know there are some).

Nice F-ING Picture there Bro. Layne rules!!

Useful Idiot
10-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks man,Layne's one of my top singing heroes.He helped me take my voice to new levels.