PDA

View Full Version : love??

toolrox19
01-25-2007, 07:59 PM
i was listining to this song the other night and FOR ME it seemes like a message that love is like intoxicating, as in 'why cant we not be sober' not in love...
'i just want to start things over' pretty self explanotory
'i am just a worthless liar, i'm just an imbicile (spelling?)...' you dont think you are good enough for her/him

just a little thought

toolrox19
01-31-2007, 04:12 PM
here this one is better and is on lyrint.com

for me parts of this song seem to be about love and how it can seem intoxicating, like alcohol
'why can't we not be sober' you don't want to be in love sometimes but it happens
'just want to start this over' if you have a second chance you can work past the pitfalls
'i am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile,...' you don't think you are good enough but are willing and wanting to give it a try
just a little thought I had one night while listing to it

and those who say tools songs are only about one thingand try to figure out their meanings, sure there was a specific meaning to Maynard but TooL's songs are suppose to be inspiring for the listener and are about whatever you want them to be about

Gently
01-31-2007, 05:11 PM
wow, why didnt i see this??

i really like this interpretation, and it makes perfect sense...

resonance.
01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
... and where does Jesus come in?

toolrox19
01-31-2007, 05:40 PM
yeah, idk just some parts came together to make the love metaphor, this is just what i releat to when listining to it

dissected-detcessid
01-31-2007, 06:46 PM
Jesus preached love, I think.

toolrox19
02-01-2007, 04:07 PM
jesus,and mother marie remind me of people in my life who have more power ex. parents
they just remind you of the 'past and done' about your failed relationships and that makes you feel bad or mad

sorry about putting this interpretation up little by little, but i just had a little thought about the song and now it has grown

Gently
02-01-2007, 06:55 PM
its coming together nicely

toolrox19
02-02-2007, 03:01 PM
ok, ill try to put this together for easier reading

There's a shadow just behind me,
shrouding every breath I take,
making every promise empty,
pointing every finger at me.
Waiting like a stalking butler
who upon the finger rests.
Murder now the path called "must we"
just before the son has come.
(i think of this part as past relationships and how they've failed and you just keep in mind that these troubles in the past can happen again and that thought is like a 'shawdow' following you everywhere)

Jesus, won't you fucking whistle
something but the past and done? (jesus is a metaphor for people with power in your life that keep reminding you about 'the past and done' and all the pitfalls of love)

Why can't we not be sober?
I just want to start this over.
(love is intoxicating, we do weird things when in it, you dont want to be in love but you still want to have someone to be with, and you think you can do better if you try it over.)

Why can't we drink forever. (we want to still have fun with the opposite gender, and the same for all you homosexuals, but not have to fall in love)

I just want to start things over. (again, you want to start over and give it another shot, because you think you can do better)

I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.(you dont feel good enough for this person but you are willing and kind of want to give it a try)

I will find a center in you.
I will chew it up and leave,
I will work to elevate you
just enough to bring you down. ( you will find a bad thing in this person and over exagurate it, just to feel like you have power)

Trust me. (you know its true, and they dont belive you)

Mother Mary won't you whisper
something but what's past and done. (mary is a metaphor for people with power in your life that keep reminding you about 'the past and done' and all of your past faliures of love)

Trust me.

i just got these lyrics from tdn but some parts are left out

and this is what this song reminds me of its not what it ment to maynard, its what it means to me

toolrox19
02-05-2007, 03:41 PM
there its all up there now

=]]

toolrox19
02-10-2007, 10:31 AM

Gently
02-10-2007, 11:15 AM
good job! and uh...love bites.

toolrox19
02-10-2007, 12:27 PM
haha true but it can be great too. i think song is more the biting part of love

toolrox19
04-05-2007, 06:52 PM

toolrox19
07-07-2007, 07:30 AM
but yeah this song can get u through any bad parts or relation ships just think about it and a solution comes up, or not but thats where listening to this song helps out

opiated
07-24-2007, 09:04 AM
... and where does Jesus come in?

You should really read that line as, "Jesus! Won't you fucking whistle." Basically, if you were an uptight Christian, you would see/read that as taking the Lord's name in vein. It's not directed to Christ, as some people choose to read it.

toolrox19
07-25-2007, 09:58 AM
yes, but thats so stright foward i was just looking at the meaning to me ,and sharing with all yall

jiana54
07-25-2007, 12:50 PM
i like the interpretation....but are you going through a bad breakup?

toolrox19
07-25-2007, 12:54 PM
no its just my view on this song helping breakkups i brokeup w/my grlfriend like 5 months ago then i discovered this