PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I'm surprised that...

Disco Stu
06-23-2003, 10:28 AM
I'm not reading more people realizing that those who post here are most likely the ones that annoying the shit out of Maynard. I always thought of this song as Hooker with a Penis 2.

Pry3rdEye
07-12-2003, 08:24 PM
i agree disco.....he's just sayin fuck you to someone....somethin......

BigCheese
08-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Probably yeah, it could be about fans, music industry, record company, etc. Like you want more "angry Tool" because you're too shallow to forgive, be patient, and push the envelope, so here you go, and I hope you choke.

NoOne1669
08-20-2003, 10:52 PM
There was a reason for the 6 year wait before Lateralus was released. Tool and their record company (I forgot what it is at the moment) were in a huge legal battle. The record company was sueing them for breaking their contract, while Tool didn't think they were in violation. This court case went on for years, they had to pay lawyers and appease the record company, who were "sucking them dry" like the parasitic "Ticks and Leeches" they are. So finally, Tool said fuck it, gave their record company a huge amount of money, and quit. I believe Lateralus was released under either another record company or thier own.

Mehhico
08-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Although it does make a lot of sense, I don't think it is entirely about that. I have taken a big lean towards the idea of the entire album to be a brief story outline of "The Book Of Enoch". Therefore, this songs fits in as Gods vengeance on the fallen angels who betrayed him by falling to Earth primarily because of their lust for "the daughters of men", while they also fortold the secrets of the heavans including weapons and the polotics of war. The song is a warning and reply from God to the angels (first person account), referring to The Great Deluge.
This is very well explained in the thread in the Lateralus forum; and this is now my best understanding of the entire album. It flows so well and has countless references to the canonised and uncanonised text of ancient books/bible.

Etamina
09-07-2003, 11:44 AM
I'm doubting that you could take Lateralus as a whole album and set it something that specific. By saying it's about this "Book of Enoch," you are limiting it so much. It's cuts off a lot fo possibilities and that kind of goes against the point of their music. There is no wrong answer, to be sure, bu I don't think it's the way that Tool intended the album to be interpreted.

animate
09-07-2003, 11:44 AM
i think that these lyrics meant little or nothing to maynard when he wrote them. the lyrical patern for lateralus: don't hold grudges, have patience, communicate with your counter parts, we are all eternal entities, fuck you i hate you. this song doesn't fit. i think that maynard realized the music for this song is really sweet, so he comprimised his lyrics for the better of the song. if you think about it, nothing but spitefull angry lyrics would fit to it.

P.S. these lyrics are shit (aesthetically) compared to all of the other poems on this album.

Mehhico
09-17-2003, 04:53 PM
I'm doubting that you could take Lateralus as a whole album and set it something that specific. By saying it's about this "Book of Enoch," you are limiting it so much. It's cuts off a lot fo possibilities and that kind of goes against the point of their music. There is no wrong answer, to be sure, bu I don't think it's the way that Tool intended the album to be interpreted.

Have you even read about this so-called Book of Enoch. my guess is you haven't.
I don't at all think that the members of Tool set out to create this album based entirely on the Book of Enoch, but I don't think you can say for sure that they never thought about these references. And, please tell me how broadening my understanding/interpretations of this album is limiting myself. I think you are the one who is limiting yourself by saying "that sounds like bullshit, I think I will just diss this guy without even looking into it."
I don't mean to be rude or anything, I just get annoyed at people who think that just because somebody writes an interpretation, they instantly think that it is that persons only view of it. The album has been out for a few years now, most people are probably onto their 10th understanding of the songs by now. Some ideas change because of changes in their outlook on life, and the way the individuals think, or situations in their life alter their perception on certain subjects, etc.
I might have another interpretation of the album tomorrow, but that doesn't mean I have to throw the old one out, does it?

Go here for more info:
http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=8595

Kind regards,
Andy

p.s. do you want to tell us what you think the song may be referring to?