PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you ever thought of just listening to tool music for the beauty of it?

corgansthirdeye
11-28-2002, 01:11 PM
I mean, its great that the band has inspired you to inform yourself. It's not as if i listen to the music because they have 'badass guitars' or 'kickass drums'. I don find the music to be quite inspiring, but i just think that some of you take the music and go too far with it. Havent any of you ever thought of just, relaxing and letting the music flow through you? I can almost imagine some of you people with notebooks and encyclopedias at their concerts, trying to see what the conection with the video of a snake eating itself could be with tool.

corgansthirdeye
11-28-2002, 01:40 PM
Scrap that, i DO find the album to be quite inspiring. Screwed up

TrueBart
11-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Even though you want to scrap it, going to respond just for the hell of it...

It is hard to just listen to the music with the kind of Lyrics Maynard is singing, you're sitting there, listening to it but at the same time I feel the need to reflect on the Lyrics, it's just a natural thing.

I love tool for it's talent in both forms, Musical, and Literal.

scorpioali
11-28-2002, 04:49 PM
well, all of this analyzing comes AFTER letting the music touch us. we wouldn't be here to analyze it in the first place if we hadn't first just let it blow us away on a sonic level first.

scorpioali
11-28-2002, 04:54 PM
and i would like to add that i am insluted by that comment that some of us are at concerts with encyclopedias. i do agree that some do overanalyze some things, but we all first feel the emotion and realize the beauty when we listen to tool's music. and besides that, there is a lot of science and thought that goes into their music anyway (ever heard of carl jung??), so you can't really blame us for it.

ragna16
11-28-2002, 05:37 PM
Think of it this way. Tool puts alot of effort into their music. Shouldn't you put some effort into trying to understand what the song says, instead of just humming a tune.

flipmojo
11-30-2002, 08:04 AM
i have to agree with corgan, to an extent. how can you become inspired to do something with your own skills if you are too busy trying to over-analyze Tool songs. some of the things that people are writing implies a lot of effort and time spent on these songs. at some point, you have to let things come natural and turn your mind off and open your heart up. you may actually find more truth from the songs that way. facts and comparisons can become lifeless, if exhausted.

on the other side, Tool does give its fans alot to think about (like ragna said).

akinoyugure
12-04-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by flipmojo
i have to agree with corgan, to an extent. how can you become inspired to do something with your own skills if you are too busy trying to over-analyze Tool songs. some of the things that people are writing implies a lot of effort and time spent on these songs. at some point, you have to let things come natural and turn your mind off and open your heart up. you may actually find more truth from the songs that way. facts and comparisons can become lifeless, if exhausted.

on the other side, Tool does give its fans alot to think about (like ragna said).

First of all, no one is holding an encylopedia at a concert. Let's do away with the hyperbole. At most someone is writing down a setlist, personally I can't stand to do that, but to each his own.
Also, I would assume that if someone is serious enough to analyze tool's lyrics, and can do so intelligently, they probably do have other skills of which they make use of. I don't know anyone who is so obsessive that actually lets tool's lyrics deter them from eating a good healthy three meals a day. If there is someone like that, there is someone like that for everything, making it a moot point.

Maynard states that he would like the music/lyrics to "inspire" and to be "used as a backdrop". For this to happen, one has to understand the meaning and the complexity of the songs. There is more to tool than meets the eye, which is something that tool provides over most other music today. I would say that tool makes an incredible amount of money through people who don't analyze, who don't get the message, who just like the sound and buy. I'm sure they appreciate that in a monetary sense. I guess you could call those listeners Useful Idiots.

What do you mean by "turn off your mind"? Do you mean "Embrace the moment"? If that is so, then I agree. However, I believe that having a greater understanding of the lyrics and music allows you to have a greater feeling when embracing the moment. The analyzing is of course done at a seperate time than when enjoying the music.

Cracker
12-04-2002, 04:10 PM
I have a tendancy to not pay much attention to lyrics with any band. Being a musician, I can't help but put most of my attention on that. I still pay attention to the singer, but I mainly pay attention to the melody he/she sings.

When I here something from any band that completely blows me away, I try and figure out why it has such an impact, and then uses such techniques in my own music. So, I'm taking something from tool and creating something positive, which is what Maynard always rants about.

After listening to an album for so long, I usually look up the lyrics out of interest. When they turn out to be good, it just adds to the already tasty taco.

The great thing about Tool is that it has appeal on many levels. 1) It sounds awesome, 2) Its technically awesome (not so much the playing, which still is awesome, but the actual composition) 3) Its lyrically awesome.

dissociation
12-04-2002, 05:19 PM
don't any of you find it hard to listen to a wonderful album with a short and bald dork singing? ...cause i don't. :)

stagger lee
12-05-2002, 02:19 AM
its a matter of finding the right balance. what is right for you may not be right for others. lets be liberal here: suit yourself but dont be a nuisance.

but i agree that the spontaneous reaction is as valid as the analysing one.

Dissonance
12-06-2002, 01:48 AM
Tool is one of the very very few bands that you get out of them exactly what you put into them.

If you simply like the beauty and melodies of the music, perfect, you get it.

If, like me and others, you find beauty in the symmetry of the lyrics and the depth and complicated word puzzles therein, and like unraveling the labryinthian strata of the songs musically and lyrically, then you get that much more out of it.

Tool is a universal band. Musical geniuses, lyrical geniuses, and everything in between.

Also, i would ask, why would you bother admonishing us for discussing the deep mysteries of Tool when you clearly came into a forum built for just that reason?

But in anycase, Tool's output is directly proportional to your input. Very few bands can boast that.

Jerk off
12-06-2002, 06:38 AM
If I didn't feel the songs were beautiful, I would not like Tool. I have personal meanings for all the songs and I come here to read what others Opinions are. Also, I can fund beauty in the dissection of ideas, this forum full of people who love the music and Ideas on why it was created is beautiful.

MW

McBastard
12-13-2002, 05:26 AM
The thing i love about TOOL is the fact that in one listening you CAN over think it all, and wonder what it is exactly thats being said, and an hour later when your CD player hits 'repeat all', you can lay back and think "bugger me, thats a kick arse riff/bass line/beat".

you can take it superficially, as you can with most music, but it has the added bonus that if you so choose, you can look a little deeper.

So much music these days is obvious and one dimentional. Play a song once, and everything is just there...lyrically and musically.

TOOL's music is some of the rare stuff where you can either get right into it emotionally, or, if you cant be arsed, just kick back and drag out the cricket bat for a bit of air guitar work.

Dhalz
12-17-2002, 01:34 AM
to corgans third eye if youre so not into tool why didnt you put youre own name up instead of one from a tool song. and furthermore if tool were not wanting to be analysed by people like us then they would come out and explain theyre songs insyead of the shroud of mystery.

LostQuater
12-18-2002, 04:59 PM
There songs put in me in a wierd Trance/other world.....i mean i havent even attempted Driving and listening to Tool at the same time.....i figured id probably have thought i was in another owrld and hit some old lady crossing the street....
and id probably be in a Wheel chair...or put many other people in them....but ill try it one day or another.....but ill make sure i do it in a populated area so atleast when i wreck it will be like world news.

Metatron's Cube
12-23-2002, 03:38 AM
I ditto what Dissonance, TrueBart, scorpioali, and others said. If you dont want to analyze tool's lyrics, then dont. If others do, great, why do feel the need to correct anyone for doing so? Do you think we DONT listen to the music?

You think we are taking lyric interpretation too far? I would suggest not reading the posts at a site devoted to song-by-song thoughts on tool songs.

aneerudh
12-23-2002, 06:07 AM
in reply to the subject.. no.

Frankly, if i were to just let the music flow, the effect of tool and the effect of britanny spears would be the same, i refuse to put the two on the same level.

Also, tools music does hit us all, just on differant levels. The interesting part is not the fact that it does hit us, its why it hits us.

In either case, let people do what they feel like... its their own choice.

'its really a choice to shoot or not to shoot' - l'etranger...Albert Camus

Wiat it out....

MushroomStamp
12-23-2002, 06:41 AM
I think this horse is dead. Lets leave it alone.

On a side note, it is interesting to analyze the mysteriously modulating size of britney spears' breasts.

4nick8
12-30-2002, 10:03 AM
Wow, it interests me that a few (seemingly right-brained) individuals here are vehement in their misunderstanding of lyrical analysis. Not only is it a major part of the music, it is something that some people are ingrained with from birth. Some people live their whole lives not understanding how the world they live in works. Then you have tinkerers, on an endless quest for knowledge.

It is obvious to me that corgansthirdeye must not be a tinkerer.

Why must analysis of the lyrics, and enjoyment of the music be mutually exclusive? Are you really that myopic?

I started listening to tool after I saw the video "sober" the first time it aired on MTV. It blew me away. Not because I had overanalyzed the video, but I was a teenager, I was extremely high at the time, and I thought that anyone who could create a video that vivid and whacked out must be something to behold. I bought the album the very next day. I could not have possibly known at that time what was in the box I was opening.

I listened for tool for years and years after that, even after Aenima was released. I always loved them.

It wasn't until about 2 years ago when I discovered this site, and started reading lyrics that my love for this band skyrocketed. I always knew the music was beautiful, but the message was what overpowered me.

For example, I'd heard that "4 degrees" is actually the temerature differential between the anal and vaginal cavities. Tool is sick, but intelligent. It attracted me. I am still hooked.

So, you see, now you know my story, and if you open your mind a little bit (heaven forbid) you might find understanding.

so let the light touch you,
let the words spill through,
let them pass right through
bringing out our hope and reason.

J1516
12-30-2002, 06:16 PM
I don't care much for lyrics in general, and the lyrics I do care about aren't tools. Maynard's got a great voice and all but i can't say I particularly like his pretentious, self-consciously arty, overly-preachy lyrics (I must crusify the ego for example).

"It is obvious to me that corgansthirdeye must not be a tinkerer." First of all, fuck you asshole, second, oops, and finally, no, he just likes music. I'm not too sure you do. The problem with the lyrics is that... well people say that Maynard wrote Lateralus in the fibonacci sequence... god that sucks. He's actually letting his artiness fuck up his music now. Sure, it seemed nice and dandy on that song, but eventually they're going to release an album in some fucking arty sequence that's going to cause them to make an incredibly shitty album. And you don't need the lyrics to figure out the album. He said that he gets the lyrics from the music, so really he's not adding much except pretentious bullshit.

I've completely stoped paying attention to Tool lyrics, and I think Triad is one of the best songs on that album. Tool has lost a few fans because they're lyrics suck so much. The music is really all that matters to me. It's not that I just groove or rock out to it every time I listen to it, it's just that I can feel it with just mayndar's voice, danny's drums, justin's bass, and adam's guitar, and whatever electronics they put in all over the album. Or think of it like this: Lets say they have some great poetry on the next album, but fucking terrible music. Like all the Roger Waters solo albums. Would you listen to the album then?

If you enjoy it on a poetic and literary level, great, but don't accuse anyone who enjoys the MUSIC side of the MUSIC of being stupid or not thinking and especially don't acuse anyone of not liking the music more. I'm sorry but I believe that some death metal KoRn/Slipknot fan loves tool just as much as you or me, it's just that we enjoy it in different ways.

4nick8
12-30-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by J1516
1. but i can't say I particularly like his pretentious, self-consciously arty, overly-preachy lyrics (I must crusify the ego for example).

2. "It is obvious to me that corgansthirdeye must not be a tinkerer." First of all, fuck you asshole, second, oops, and finally, no, he just likes music. I'm not too sure you do.

3. god that sucks. He's actually letting his artiness fuck up his music now.

4. I've completely stoped paying attention to Tool lyrics, and I think Triad is one of the best songs on that album. Tool has lost a few fans because they're lyrics suck so much.

5. The music is really all that matters to me. It's not that I just groove or rock out to it every time I listen to it, it's just that I can feel it with just mayndar's voice, danny's drums, justin's bass, and adam's guitar, and whatever electronics they put in all over the album.

6. Or think of it like this: Lets say they have some great poetry on the next album, but fucking terrible music. Like all the Roger Waters solo albums. Would you listen to the album then?

7. If you enjoy it on a poetic and literary level, great, but don't accuse anyone who enjoys the MUSIC side of the MUSIC of being stupid or not thinking and especially don't acuse anyone of not liking the music more.

1. I don't understand the epithets against art. After all, what is the creation of music? It has to have some decent content behind the music as well. Sure, van halen's "hot for teacher" or bahama men's "who let the dogs out" might sound decent, but on an intellectual level, they are utterly useless drivel. By the way, you spelled "crucify" wrong.

2. I won't get into useless personal slandering with you. It serves no purpose, and shows no tact.

3. Refer to #1. Music is great to hear, but I have to disagree with you. Just because roger waters or john lennon tried to become too artistic with their music and ended up pissing people off doesn't mean maynard is going to. I'm sure tool has lost a few fans, but they have gained more on these latest albums. Schism won a grammy for pete's sake.. But you'd probably just call that "mainstreaming"

4. Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, certainly, though I think most people visiting this site who bothered to sign up for the forums would disagree majorly here. What good does it do to sign up for a forum to discuss tool's content if you don't like it anyway?

5. The music worked for me for a long time, and still does. Apparently you missed the premise of my entire first post, which is that I loved them anyway, but when I discovered it wasn't all just good sounds, it made it more intriguing (at least for me).

6. We'll jump off that bridge when we get there. I have yet to hear tool turn out some useless crap with good lyrics. It so happens that they turn out some very excellent music with very excellent lyrics. I won't stipulate to a day when they suck. Past is prologue, of course, but these guys seem quite a bit different to me.

7. I never said corgansthirdeye was stupid, nor did I say that I enjoy the music more than he does, or that he wasn't thinking. I said he wasn't a tinkerer, meaning that I believe he could go through life content not to break things down constantly to see how they work. You took this to mean I was calling him stupid or non-thinking, when in fact, I never said that. If you don't believe me, the log has not been edited, read it again.

48&2
12-31-2002, 04:40 AM
im getting bored....

4nick8
12-31-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by 48&2
im getting bored....

Jerk off
01-06-2003, 12:30 PM
I had a friend once he took some acid
Now he thinks he's a fire engine
It's okay until he pisses on your lighter