PDA

View Full Version : Parabola from a Scientific view point

Noob_Jones
11-19-2002, 04:10 AM
Parabola, what is this song about? Seeing that I am not MJK I will not be able to give you the correct answer but I can give you a well thought out one. I love science and so I look at this song with a scientific point of view rather than say a religious view point. Also before I start my interpretation of this song I would like to apologize for any spelling errors as I do not have a spell checker on hand ATM.

"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

How fucking true can a statment get? Human-kind has allmost no clue what came before "this precious moment", we only are now starting to understand the broad picture of how the universe came to be let alone understanding the 'details' of the universe.

"We are choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside This holy reality, this holy experience."

We are Alive! A bunch of matter has formed together to become more than the sum of its parts it has become I. I choose to be here right now becuase I choose not to put a gun in my mouth. I can use the word 'I', I have free will and I have wisdom and that is a "holy reality" that I shall stay inside of for as long as I can.

"This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

Alive, I

In this holy reality, in this holy experience. Choosing to be here in

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

"

Within me are cells that are made up of molecules that are groups of atoms that are formed from protons and neutrons that consist of quarks ... and who knows how much further down the line it goes, lets just say I am made of energy. You can not create or destroy energy (well you can annihilate a particle with its anti-particle but thats for another time) you can only change the form of energy. The energy that is in my body therefor has been around since the Big Bang and so in that form I am eternal. Also the energy that is in me was in something else before hand and most likely in some other living being so it is true that "I am not alone in This body". Saddly energy can not remember my moods or thoughts for they are only an illusion I create myself and this is what "all this pain is an illusion" is getting at ( I belive at least).

"Twirling round with this familiar parable.
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing."

Each day I feel the same exact things with new experiences sprinkled around and that is life. Do you have any idea how much energy is in the universe, I could quote a number but even then it would not be possible to understand how much that really is. Out of all this energy has come us, beings that can ask questions and think up answers and that is a holy gift that you must celebrate with every chance you get.

"This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion."

I was born and yes I will die but right now I am alive and I "Embrace this moment" with all of my heart. I am eternal in the form of energy I shall be around in 500,000 billion years (unless the Big Crunch happens) however my memorys and fellings shall fade becase they are only an illusion that I create myself.

Skye
11-19-2002, 04:54 PM
Thank you for your wonderful post. I agree with your interpretation, that I also find the same thoughts in myself regarding energy. Energy creating an everlasting pattern as we are of the same, linked together to eachother.

In the Parabola video, the pattern of the altar - which you can see before it is actually visuable as an altar (in the beginning of the video) shows the exact same thing. How Energy is everywhere, linking everything together, that we may create and See what there is to See, should we want it.

Just as any major behavior in the world, and feeling, it still mirrors what is happening inside. That "We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment" also can speak to the Ignorance of human kind, remembering only what it [human kind] wants, but seldom what Is..
But at the same time, we "are to" be in This moment only.. Not constantly reliving our Pasts, or putting everything out there for "what will happen later", but Be Here, Right Now..

Every experience we encounter is important to the growth of every individual, yet we often see re-occuring patterns because people still don't understand. People seldom see their own responsability in what is created in the Moment, so when looking at: "We are choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside This holy reality, this holy experience." , I would pull out the necessity in actually Experience things. Because who sits utterly in the moment, experiencing true Moment? Whether it be our "pains" or "fears", or the more appealing moments of "pleasure" and "happiness" - overcoming the simple limitations of Being is still quite Simple, in its Complexity.. but the Stillness or total Bliss, can be the hardest task for the many..
Not experiencing the Moment, will have us not see nor learn and realize what we are experiencing..

We too often forget the Mirrors - how we project upon others, and what they mirror back to us.. We too often forget that what we dislike in the person next to us, is what we are disliking in ourselves, or maybe even have repressed..

To be conscious, Right Here, Ringt Now, Is to be Alive, and as you said, Celebrate being just that.. Alive..
And celebrate the Life of another just the same..

"Twirling round with this familiar parable.
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing."

Can also speak to the Eternal Energy that we are? Reincarnation? That swirling the familiar parable seeing a new birth to a lifetime as a new experience? And having the opportunity to "live again" and celebrate that gift of being alive and breathing?
Or can it speak to every birth of every new awakening in one lifetime? That metaphore is often used - as I have done in my signature.. To be celebrating the opportunity in experiencing new things in life [birth, beginning], whether there will be a loss that initiates the new moment, or not?
Because as Pain is an illusion, then the death [loss, end] of an area in ones life is just another moment past..

In "fear" of being a rambling goose in my first post, I will just say that I have found just like you, the same understanding of being Eternal, because we have "Always been here" and thank you again, for putting it out there :)

Parable
11-19-2002, 07:16 PM
As a religious person, I have been taught and believe in some kind of eternal after life. That is my belief and I know others here may not agree. So the simple complexity of being eternal comes to simpler terms for me, yet still a difficult thought to grasp. The first time I understood the lyrics to Parabola, this thought came to mind:

I am eternal, so what can the moment of pain I experience in life's learning process possibly mean in my immortality. Very much like the thought of one day here on earth in comparison to the life of our solar system, let alone the universe. So because that moment means very little in eternity, the pain is an illusion.

As far as the name of the song goes, I think it has to do with the guuitar tuning of BEdgbe. I see the (BE) and (be) as the outward coordinates noted on the plane. while the (dg) act as the vertex. That is just a simple thought, but it has been dwelling with me since the Opinions section went down, so it seems so right, however wrong it may be.

Peace Out

Noob_Jones
11-19-2002, 07:48 PM
I loved reading your responces it gave me new sight into the song I thank you very much.

I have posted what I think the video is about over Here (http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171)

Alexander
11-20-2002, 03:24 AM
when you throw an object in the air the arc it makes is called a parabola. the oblect goes up and then comes back down. so i think the meaning of the title has to deal with
what goes around comes around. "celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing." becaus it's all going to end. and it may end in an after life, but there's no real way to be sure so just live your life and be happy.

CalfMan
11-21-2002, 08:14 PM
the song is also a parabola, starts quiet, gets heavier, and then quiet at the end with the beginning and ending being light. that would be upward shaped, or if done by the energy of the song, then it is downward, either way, a parabola, and I love the thought of the tuning that is awesome, never really thought of that before, even while tuning the guitar down to play the song ;)

CalfMan

Grommell
12-07-2002, 04:52 AM
I have always thought Adam used a 7 stinger when playing the song... But the concept of the tuning (BEDGbe, or BEADGbe for 7 strings) acting as an actual parabola is fantastic - even if its not intended.

It would be overkill to look into the keys and scales the band use during the song for any significance, but would be interesting none the less if anything surfaced.

Lachrymologist
04-15-2003, 09:05 PM
I think the parabola has to do with life. The top of the parabola is when we are life, the part that we should celebrate. The ends are before and after life, mathematically they have the same Y coordinates bu different X coordinates. So whatever we experienced before life will be similar to what we experience after life, except it will be different because we have been alive.

cainecrawford
04-22-2003, 05:10 PM
I think we are missing the true reality of the musical tallent itself. Just because we are breathing does not constitute that we are alive.

I think this precious moment is in reference to the ability and the strife that was inspired inorder to get to that very hard to reach to place. Behind that microphone. And still have the ability to make that moment count. which in turn becomes a holy reality in itself. Just as it Says in the bible," They sang the songs of Moses." Moses was 7, or the eye in aspects. Making the songs of Moses the songs of god. Our natural placement constitutes of 3 things. Geometric sequence, elements, and vibrations.

Children are always trying to identify with those around them. A remeinder...... anyone? Weaving around always looking for something to get into and learn from.

In the reality of this world and this world alone are mortal. Many have come to the fact that we live interdimentionally. Edgar Cacye for one. the sleeping prophet. Therefore we are just imaginations of our selves and we skip from world and dimention when the time is right or when we can master the art.

Think of it as parabol1

therandom
05-04-2003, 10:21 AM
anytime anyone talks about space I feel the urge to read up on space and theorie sand then religion and etc and then my head starts spinning when I get to question like, "Do I exist?" and such, so now, I'm gonna go find hte stupidest thing I can do to even myself out.

PS what you said made a lot of sense and it was a delightful viewpoint

Himself
05-08-2003, 06:26 PM
just something to chew on. in the theory of reincarnation, a soul lives, dies, then comes back. just thought that might be one interpretation on the whole curve thing.