PDA

View Full Version : "prison sex" and "your FUCKING cross"

iAMtheMA!
01-20-2007, 05:16 PM
F10. What's "Prison Sex" about?

At least in its most up-front interpretation, child abuse. In early interviews, Maynard apparently was quite vocal about his dislike for his stepfather, and the video supports this theory quite well. However, the autobiographical nature of this song is purely speculative. When discussing the release of "Prison Sex" as a single, Danny had this to say: "It will annoy a lot of people ... which is half the fun."

"coooooooome down...
get off you're fucking cross...
we need that fucking space
to nail the next fool martyr!"

why is it "fucking"? why is it mentioned twice? surely maynard could've thought of other two-syllable words to fit in either place, right? to me, the "fucking" usage in "eulogy" seems awfully deliberate, as more of a description of action, rather than mere vulgar emphasis. (a consciousness rape?) so, with this in mind, are those lyrics refering back to "prison sex"?

"child abuse", but ...was it the domestic violence (from his stepfather?) we immediately associate to "child abuse", or does it have something to do with the cardinal's line in "dogma" (kevin smith's movie) "hook 'em while they're young"???

i now consider it a form of "child abuse" when my parents tried to get me into catholicism ...it still pains me.

G27. The big question: Who is "Eulogy" about?

As with most Tool songs, the song is vague enough that can be interpreted to be anyone / anything. The song is primarily about the death of something which most probably turned out to be a fake. Regarding the rumor that the band is no longer on good terms with Henry Rollins; he has recently been heard talking positively about Tool, saying he was unaware of any bad blood. In Modern Drummer (10/93), Danny mentions L. Ron Hubbard as the object of the song. One way or another, though, the song has a message that can stand apart from any specific target; the interpretation is left to you, and the specifics aren't too important.

is this "prison sex" and "eulogy" connection appropriate? please discuss.

Gently
01-20-2007, 07:53 PM
i never thought of these songs as having a connection, but this is interesting..

considering shared thoughts on having the song 'eulogy' as being maynard's...and 'prison sex' about his experience with "abuse" as a child.

child abuse can be a lot of things, and you make quite a bit of sense here- while confusing me at the same time :)

"fucking" and 'prison sex'...now that is a concept- i guess we got fucked by religion

Gently
01-20-2007, 07:54 PM
:D

iAMtheMA!
01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
"eulogy" is maynard's eulogy to his stepfather.

edit: or, should i say ...could it be?

Gently
01-20-2007, 08:49 PM
oh i see

Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
01-22-2007, 09:25 AM

Um no.

What do you smoke?

DON IOTAE
01-22-2007, 09:38 AM

is this "prison sex" and "eulogy" connection appropriate? please discuss.

could be. as the answer says, it's up to your interpretation of the whole thing. could be. seeing the trend in MJK's lyrics and the fact that ÆNIMA is right after undertow, i'd say there's definitely a chance. Then again, what is the exact connection besides the double "fucking" in Eulogy? And no, I don't thinks that's random. "fucking" is there twice for a reason...

About Prison Sex: for me, more than speaking about abuse, it also presents the victimizer's side, and therefore de-mystifying it. It's all about understanding both sides of the story, imo.

iAMtheMA!
01-22-2007, 10:24 AM
it's a guess ...kinda fits, too. but i don't care to present my ideas again (they're already at the top of the page) ...maybe it's a comprehension-deficiency thing(?). i'm definitely going to try prison sex through the victimizer's pov. thank you for that, iota.

Gently
01-22-2007, 04:07 PM
still saying fucked- by everything..

now thats vague enough to suffice my comprehension deficiency's idea of what these songs are about and how they are connected

iAMtheMA!
01-22-2007, 08:37 PM
good enough for me, nothing else needs to be much more specific than that.

tomisatool
02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8SxHtyL2v0&NR

As much as prison sex is about child abuse, in that interview (um...4:30 seconds in...when Maynard starts talking about Prison Sex) Maynard refers to it more as cycles, child abuse is obviously a piece of the cycle, but I also think that Maynard might be worried about himself. This is pure speculation (and I apologize in advance for it) but I think Maynard is (was) worried that he would continue the cycle in his own relationship with his son (or son to be at the time?)

Maybe not though...

DON IOTAE
02-07-2007, 03:27 PM
do unto you, now, what has been done to me...

yes, cycles.

Inbleach
02-07-2007, 06:44 PM

Well that's highly implausible, but wasn't his stepfather a baptist minister? Aren't many religious people (sorry I have to stereotype my family fits this bill) very self-righteous? Holier-than-thou? and my experience with baptists has been this very much, but it somehow seems possible, I never thought about it until I read that.

Just an idea.

notregistered
02-07-2007, 07:23 PM
There isn't any connection. He also uses "fret", "shit" "followed" and "fuck"
on AEnema the same way he's using "fucking" on Eulogy.
why is it "fret/shit/followed/fuck"? why is it mentioned x amount of times? surely maynard could've thought of other words with the same amount of syllabes to fit in either place, right? He could have. that's for sure. But he didn't and there doesn't have to be an explanation why.
It's just parallel structures and repetiton.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_parallel.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetition_%28rhetorical_device%29

"Fucking" isn't an uncommon word in maynard's lyrics. All of these can't be about his stepdad, can they?

I should kick you, beat you, fuck you
and then shoot you in your FUCKING head.

He's the man as well so you can
Point that FUCKIN' finger up your ass.

If I'm the FUCKIN' man
Then you're the FUCKIN' man as well
So you can
Point that FUCKIN' finger up your ass.

Just remember that I will always love you
Even as I claw your FUCKIN' throat away

Here in this hopeless FUCKING hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any FUCKING time. Any FUCKING day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Taken all I can, taken all I can, we can take.
Taken all you can, taken all you can FUCKIN' take

Eye balls deep in muddy waters
FUCKING hypocrite

I hope Uncle Martin here doesn't notice
that I pissed my FUCKIN' pants.

And I didn't even graduate from FUCKING high school.

Inbleach
02-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey just a suggestion.

Drr
02-09-2007, 09:04 PM
He probly likes the way he says fucking..
maybe child abuse maybe not.. but why did he quit west point???

tomisatool
02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
He probly likes the way he says fucking..
maybe child abuse maybe not.. but why did he quit west point???

To "further his studies in the arts"

I saw a concert clip where he basically shit on West Point, but I wouldn't think of it as anything more than Maynard being Maynard. Also, I think we're all looking WAY too far into the words fuck, I mean, MJK doesn't really refrain from swearing much, and I think it is for emphasis, but not so deep.

He is just a guy after all...

RidetheRedshift
02-16-2007, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8SxHtyL2v0&NR

thanks. that was very interesting.