PDA

View Full Version : "selling out"

Blue Apocalypse
06-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Hmm I do agree with alot of the points as previously stated, I am a fan of Staind, althought probably not for long. I did buy their last album and that will be the last thing of theirs I will ever purchase, but they did have their moments, their first album was the epitimy of self loathing and hatred (tormented) and was probably their best stuff, the cd isnt even released in stores because of the graphic cover and the blatent refernces to suicide in the songs, and it just went downhill from there. But i sort of understand in a way i suppose, like in reality what songs made them famous? was it the hard angry songs that they play on the radio? no they play the soft shitty songs ie its been awhile, fade and thats how they got famous and they are just feeding the beast. i dont blame them for "selling out" their just doing what they gotta do to achieve their goals, although they were always good. Tool on the otherhand is totally differant, they dont attend the award shows, soak up all the sunshine that is blown up their ass by fans, they keep a low profile, and basically other than die hard fans remain pretty much unknown to the main stream. They are one of the few bands who keep on getting better, and their best stuff is their first album. Personally i think their latest album is the best but I love them all alot. Basically i think the issue of "selling out" is explained well in hooker with a penis, which is why i can unstand why Staind sold out, although its not what i would have chosen for them....

Blue Apocalypse
06-22-2003, 10:19 AM
d'oh this was supposed to be added on to the staind stole tool thread, oh well.... read that then read this

onebyone
07-01-2003, 07:41 PM
dude your way, way , way off. stainds first music was really fucked up crazy head banging i hate you music. it was also the worst. aaron lewis used to play acoustic guitar and sing in a coffee houses. the guy didnt know how to write musicaly intuned lyrics. you dont have to say fuck you this is the end of the world im gonna blow my head off now to have a depressing im sad and this world angers me meaning. i agree with your talking about tool staying low and out of the lime light. tool is my favorite band but the reason they stay out is because they dont want there ideas changed by coprate rock. but since you are talking about selling out. tool doesnt sell out but do you think that by staying mysterious they draw in more of an audience? just a thought. but its been a wile was a decent song at best but played to death. thats not stainds fault you cant call in and say hey bitch quit playing mysong on the radio now can you. now fade is a great song. mike mushok and the rest of the band has come further since there beginging tormented times. because mike now can play a guitar its a baratone which means he needed to get some exiperence with that. thats why everhthing isnt dropped D tuning and bang it with a open chord all day. i cant believe you could call them selling out because they sell albums. they arent big coprate sponsors here this is good music and your makeing a juvinial lack of music knowledged comment

Mr. Zebra
07-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Ummm... guys, what precisely does selling out have to do with what kind of music you play, or even how famous you are? Not selling out means making the music that you want to make, creating the art that your spirit exhales. It doesn't matter how hard, soft, poppy or inaccessible it is , and it doesn't matter if the mainstream media decides to ogle you because the masses percieve what you're doing as "cool". You can't help it if people are mindless sheep. The only time you've sold out is if you are no longer making music for YOU. Fiona Apple's music was soft, and Criminal got fuckloads of airtime on radio and MTV, but do I believe she sold out? not one bit. (incedentally, I believe the members of "Staind" to be a gaggle of talentless imbeciles, judging by the fact that I can play ALL of those instruments better than ANY member of the band, and can both vocally and lyrically outdo Aaron Lewis, in addition to the fact that I believe he has nothing new or interesting to say, and isn't a poet worth spit... so I really don't care if they've sold out or not.)

neochrist
07-29-2003, 08:47 PM
any band that puts a cd on the market for purchase or makes one penny from live performances is selling out to be technical, there saleling there music to people for money, but in society today i believe it means any musician who changes the music they want to make or changes there ideas to suit whats "in" this year is saleing out.