PDA

View Full Version : thoughts...

captainspunk
11-28-2002, 12:28 PM
"i know you well, you are a part of me"

a possible explanation as to the meaning of this song could be the most basic sterotypes people have ingrained into their minds. you could see someone on the street whom you've never talked to or known under any circumstances and still feel that you know everything about them based upon their appearances alone. if someone were to watch cops all their life, the image of black people as evil criminals would be beaten into their mind, thus becoming a "part of them". they may then see a black person and assume they are a criminal based upon the images of black people that have become a part of them. they know others better than they know themselves because they don't realize their own ignorance.

this could be spoken through the role of joe mcpublic, the everyman, or (keeping with the theme of the album) religious leaders who judge those outside of their system of beliefs.

the "its time to die a little" im not really sure about. anybody?

(this, by the way, is one of my all-time favorite tool songs.)

Mark D
12-01-2002, 02:10 PM
I like the way that Captainspunk used the cops analogy thing to describe this, but where would "i know u better than i know myself" fit into the analogy. That is the part i dont understand. Just thought i would bring it up to see what anyone else thinks.