PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering schism

fnshmetal
01-16-2007, 12:09 AM
A few nights ago I was reading a book that caused me to rediscover the meaning to schism. My original interpretation of the song was about the relationship of a man and a woman and all the stages in between. My new interpretation still has to do with a relationship but that of the left and right sides of your brain. This also better follows the albums main theme of discovery of the self and the eventual triad of the mind, body, and spirit.

When we are children we are born with a more dominant right brain. This helps us absorb and retain information more rapidly. The right brain works on instinct and intuition. This is why you're so curious, imaginative, creative, and truthful as a child. However as we grow up and learn and store more information about our reality we also start to setup up walls and switch over to a more left brain dominance which is where logic, doubt, ego, and reasoning take place. When this happens you start to setup limitations and restrictions on yourself based on previous experiences you have had. This leads to a path of second guessing yourself and withering away the communication between both minds equally.

Schism is about the struggle to think with both minds equally, to embrace the dissonance and beauty that come from seeing the world through the minds eye(6th Chakra).

amenorakumo
01-17-2007, 12:28 PM
good post. i've thought of it on many levels but never right/left brain.

]v[edusa
01-17-2007, 02:23 PM
i suggest you read drunvalo books or on ancient egypt.

there were mystery schools and specific initiations that the egyptians had to go through (very brief explanation):

1)right eye of horus mystery school- the right eye represents the information controlled by the left side of the brain (male). here people use their logic to read, write, and master sacred geometry.

2)left eye of horus mystery school- the left eye represents the information controlled by the right side of the brain (female). it involved training in emotions, feelings, fears, or even over coming your shadow.

3)third eye of horus (child)- its basically life where everything that happens in life is a lesson. this school prepares you for higher levels of existence

basically... imbalance keeps you from evolving but if you master these schools then a balance may be created bringing you closer or to a ~~unified consciousness~~

edit- i believe these schools were created after the peices of osiris were put together to fit back into a unified consciousness which i believe created horus (his child) as well.... the schools seem to teach people to put the pieces together .... read my story of osiris in the unity consciousness thread if i want to know more about how osiris fits with all this

fnshmetal
01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
To elaborate on my post. The video also follows the theory of left/right brain. It is well known men are more likely to use the left side of their brain rather than the right which females use more predominantly. This fits perfectly into the video of a man and woman or left and right brain interacting and exploring each others worlds or sides of the brain and finally at the end joining together to see as one.

]v[edusa
01-17-2007, 08:53 PM
actually when i speak that the left side of our brain is male i mean that its our male component. it is neither male nor female... the same goes for the right side of our brain, its just our female component.

right now to my understanding the majority of the population around the world uses mostly their left side of the brain and rarely their right side. according to thoth the population used to be right side dominant.

*watches schism video*

fnshmetal
01-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Its amazing how we can still discover new meaning in Lateralus even though its been almost 6 years since it came out.

iAMtheMA!
01-18-2007, 05:56 AM
could the left refer to the fib-seq, and the right refer to phi?
when comparing the two, and it's an amazing realization everyone should get into (not only for the song, but for life in general), it seems like the fib-seq "overanalysizes" a way to mimic the movement of god (phi) ...that was probably the worst way to explain that (?).

]v[edusa
01-18-2007, 09:48 AM
could the left refer to the fib-seq, and the right refer to phi?
when comparing the two, and it's an amazing realization everyone should get into (not only for the song, but for life in general), it seems like the fib-seq "overanalysizes" a way to mimic the movement of god (phi) ...that was probably the worst way to explain that (?).

well.... the only thing i can say to this is that by drawing and understanding fibonacci, the golden ratio, and sacred geometry is that they are all maps for the left brain, but "for every line in sacred geometry, there is always an associated emotional component that can also be experienced". so you kinda move from the left to the right through understanding spirals and other geometries.

other thing. the golden ratio (phi) has no beginning and no end (like god). the fibonacci sequence has a beginning and no end. fibonacci is referring to all that is in nature. nature can not cope with the fact that there is no beginning so thats y it uses that specific spiral and not phi. u love spirals dont u iAMtheMA!? explain more why you think phi is referring to right and fib to left? maybe i missed something. im interested.

i would go into how the egyptians used the spiral when both hemispheres of the brain were functioning but then i would be getting into the song lateralus.

fnshmetal
01-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Doesn't phi come from graphing the fib seq. Isn't that where the golden ration comes from, or am i missing something here?

iAMtheMA!
01-18-2007, 11:20 AM
well, i do understand the natural side of those two properties, but maybe it's just easier to compute something if there's a definite beginning. patterns are patterns, and i think most of us have a rather firm grasp on infinite-outward, but the infinite-in-both-directions feels related to ...feeling. somehow? (i'm horrible with expressing my ideas, heh - an admitted left-brained over here)

Intolerable
01-18-2007, 08:36 PM
While it's an interesting theory, this seems like a bit of overanalyzation to me. To me this song has always been about a relationship (one that was once great..."I know the pieces fit") falling apart. A literal Schism between the two people.

iAMtheMA!
01-19-2007, 05:19 AM
it just kinda seems like fib "over-analyzes" phi, heh (which i feel is a character of the left-brained mentality).

does everyone yet know the movement of fib vs. phi???
(i know lllvllledusa does) ...phi = 1.61803399~

the fibonacci sequence:
1/1 = 1
2/1 = 2
3/2 = 1.5
5/3 = 1.6...
8/5 = 1.6
13/8 = 1.625
21/13 = 1.61538461~
34/21 = 1.61904761~
55/34 = 1.61764705~
89/55 = 1.61818181~
144/89 = 1.61797752~
233/144 = 1.61805...
377/233 = 1.61802575~
610/377 = 1.61803713~
987/610 = 1.61803278~
1597/987 = 1.61803444~

keep "spirals" in mind...
2.0 x
1.6 x --------> phi = 1.61803399~
1.5 x
1.0 x

1 2 3 4 5 6
(0 1 1 2 3 5 8 ...)

i hope that helped someone

fnshmetal
01-19-2007, 08:59 AM
While it's an interesting theory, this seems like a bit of overanalyzation to me. To me this song has always been about a relationship (one that was once great..."I know the pieces fit") falling apart. A literal Schism between the two people.

I don't see how I'm over analyzing when the entire album is about inner struggles, and eventual enlightenment. I mean why would tool make the whole first part of the album about discovering ones true sense of consciousness and then throw in a song about a shitty relationship. Just doesn't make sense to me.

parables in the world
01-19-2007, 07:22 PM
i think the phi and golden ratio is over-analyzing. but i like the thread starters theory.

iAMtheMA!
01-19-2007, 08:50 PM
can't we get get beyond the "i think --- is over-analyzing" bullshit, please? i mean, if you know what's "over" then you know what's "under" ...and (more astonishingly) you know precisely what "is" - so, then maybe you can share with the rest of the class?

(my position = "i'll keep digging 'til i feel something")

]v[edusa
01-21-2007, 03:26 PM

... youre kinda getting there. if u read the osiris story (unity consciousness section ~someone read dammit~) then u will understand the "between supposed lovers" part

about overanalyzing. a man named fibbonachi loved to study everything in nature. he was really analyzing things. he noticed something; there was a pattern b/t the number of petals and specific species of flowers:

# of petals / species
3 lilies and irises
5 buttercups, larkspurs, and columbines
8 some delpfiniums
13 corn marigolds
21 some asters
34,55,89 daisies

he found the pattern in the veins of leaves and also how leaves would grow on a sneezewort plant.

now just think about what the average person would say to something like this....??? that person would say "your ~~over-analyzing~~ things"

if it werent for him "over-analyzing" there may have not been a fib sequence and everyone would have probably stuck with the idea that everything comes only from phi.

now analyzing comes from the left brain, like it was said b4, and analyzing is a very good thing for the mind. this analyzing leads to right brain functioning and if im not mistaken fib was a very spiritual person, very both brained.

so i dont know about you, but i think tool wants us to think, to put our heads together, rediscover communication, and really try to allow our brain to be symmetrical.

listen to the lateralus cd. the music gives a sense of emotion and love for the right side of the brain and there is also mathematics, use of logic, and analyzing for the left side.

"over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind." << i believe this is refering to plato. By doing this, u realize that the mind is an entity wholly separate from the body. kinda like the mind is immortal and the body isnt. i could go more on plato and what this line is about but ...then i would be getting into the song lateralus