PDA

View Full Version : good song, my thoughts.

BazookaJoe
06-21-2003, 12:07 AM
I think this is probably one of the more profound songs on this album. i think many of us have been connected to someone or something, and have had to watch them move on regardless of how much we love that person or thing. Followed by the inevitable equivocation that occurs between love and hate when its over. I think the song is mostly about how powerless we are at times to control the things we love from leaving, no matter how much we plea that they stay. I guess there are personal experiences, but blah.

uhh...fork?
03-05-2004, 06:25 PM
drums on this song=awesome
yea, good song

AllforUnity
03-08-2004, 12:23 PM
TOOL Drums = Awesome.

Luna Galapogos
03-10-2004, 09:17 PM
I think this is probably one of the more profound songs on this album. i think many of us have been connected to someone or something, and have had to watch them move on regardless of how much we love that person or thing. Followed by the inevitable equivocation that occurs between love and hate when its over. I think the song is mostly about how powerless we are at times to control the things we love from leaving, no matter how much we plea that they stay. I guess there are personal experiences, but blah.

I tried to crawl away from a situation such as the one you mentioned, but then my arms and legs atrophied damn it, oh well. teehee, she came back to me anyway. It turned out for the best.

Peaceful Moments
03-11-2004, 02:00 AM

Yeah I know that feeling, fucked up shit...

Danny Carey = awe-inspiring to me

AllforUnity
03-11-2004, 07:52 AM
I tried to crawl away from a situation such as the one you mentioned, but then my arms and legs atrophied damn it, oh well. teehee, she came back to me anyway. It turned out for the best.

Sometimes "her" coming back, isn't always the best. You may think it is because that's what you wanted so badly...but deep down, you could be dying.

Luna Galapogos
03-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Sometimes "her" coming back, isn't always the best. You may think it is because that's what you wanted so badly...but deep down, you could be dying.

Yes, I agree that that is true sometimes. But it has nearly been a year since, and someone (if not me) would have noticed that it was not for the best by now. I think things are good. But that could be what I get for thinking. We'll see in the long run.

AllforUnity
03-12-2004, 07:47 AM
That's not exactly accurate...it took me 2 years.

Luna Galapogos
03-12-2004, 11:44 AM
That's not exactly accurate...it took me 2 years.

I believe that a popular quote around here is "live for the moment." I will continue to do that, perhaps she will cast me into the gutter and back onto my knees. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but if it does, hopefully I won't atrophy again.

AllforUnity
03-15-2004, 09:39 PM
"Hopefully."

Luna Galapogos
03-16-2004, 10:15 PM
"Hopefully."

What is there without hope?

"If nothing else kills you, breathing will."

AllforUnity
03-19-2004, 02:46 AM
HA...l'll tell you about hopes and dreams...

Without hopes you can have dreams...things that you know will never happen but for some odd reason you usually think them anyways, and after that...you will have pain, the painful realization of life itself, knowing nothing is perfect and wondering how in fact you could have thought of the dream, or hope, in the first place...then comes forgotten...when everything between you and that one, special person is forgotten, someone will become mad, or upset for some reason, and they will part, and then...they will die with a memory of each other in the back of their minds to faint to even stir up emotion...that’s just the inevitable of life, yours, and mine, and everyone else’s...life itself is pain, we cant help that, we just HOPE and DREAM, that the pain will go away...we wish the pain could go away

Luna Galapogos
03-19-2004, 09:54 AM

Without hopes you can have dreams...things that you know will never happen but for some odd reason you usually think them anyways, and after that...you will have pain, the painful realization of life itself, knowing nothing is perfect and wondering how in fact you could have thought of the dream, or hope, in the first place...then comes forgotten...when everything between you and that one, special person is forgotten, someone will become mad, or upset for some reason, and they will part, and then...they will die with a memory of each other in the back of their minds to faint to even stir up emotion...that’s just the inevitable of life, yours, and mine, and everyone else’s...life itself is pain, we cant help that, we just HOPE and DREAM, that the pain will go away...we wish the pain could go away

If we didn't have that hope though, we would've killed ourselves by now though.
"When all of your wishes are granted, all of your dreams, will be destroyed." -Marilyn Manson
I know what you mean, trust me. But hope can sometimes lead us to great things. And if they don't, what have you lost, certainly not your life.

Ryan
12-20-2005, 06:44 PM

i can thoroughly relate to this.

killershears
12-20-2005, 07:19 PM
I love the Undertow album, and this is one of my more favorite songs on it.

The whole damn album has amazing drumming, and you notice that especially when trying to play along with the album blasting on loud speakers.

Dedicated_TOOLfan
02-17-2006, 06:40 PM
My interpretation of this song it that the person was once loved and loved that person but was stippped and had the feeling ripped right out of their heart by none other than the person they loved and now they are dead inside.....

LateralisticFantasy226
04-12-2006, 10:46 AM
There is a lot of hate and anger in this song. Maybe it is about someone who has turned their back on you and you are angry "stick a knife in it"If they wouldn't have left you turned their back you couldn't. I even feel a little bit of denial in it. "...Crawl away from me..." Maybe in hopes the person has a hard time leaving. Maybe it isn't about a person at all, maybe it's your mind, and sanity slipping away.

ween69
05-03-2006, 08:11 AM
yes, i love this song. and of course the whole cd. i would rather tool play their older stuff rather than new if i ever get to see them live. i dunno, i just love the energy

francisb233
05-19-2006, 06:25 AM
I tend to think this song is more being sang from the perpective of someone who is trying to control someone else , and as that person slowly realises that they need to get away from this person the harder the person makes it for them........

Fantastic Tune

OGT from back in the day
07-02-2006, 12:22 PM

that is just brilliant, and true

Melanos
07-13-2006, 11:42 PM
i think this song ( in my opinion) is about someone "seeing god" or "opening thier 3rd eye" and cant reach "god". Then the person tries too hard (instead of letting go) to reach "god" and he says to "god" - "i can see your back is turnin if i could i'd stick a knife in" responce from god- "this is love, this is my love for you" because the person couldnt "let go" of him/herself to reach "god" in the first place so how could he/she possible be ready to recieve enlightenment.

The "dont mean fuck to me" part to me is "god" telling that person he isnt ready.... if he where ready, he would realize what he wants/needs is irrelevant.
Thr 1st and most important thing to remember people is that (and maynard says it time and time again) "free yourself from yourself" , "lets defy ego, before its far too late", "let go let go let go". i can quote tons of what i call "self detatchment phrases" but until you truly "drop" (and i dont mean kill yourself or die) your body.... you wont acsend to the "next level".

guttersnipe
07-20-2006, 05:14 AM
I see it as a really co-dependant sociopathic person being really upset over the fact that a person they used to have control over has decided to leave them. There's a lot of violence and hatred implied which is why I brand the protagonist as a sociopath.

francisb233
09-26-2006, 04:54 AM
I see it as a really co-dependant sociopathic person being really upset over the fact that a person they used to have control over has decided to leave them. There's a lot of violence and hatred implied which is why I brand the protagonist as a sociopath.

agreed :)

I'm currently going through something like this at the moment ....

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Danny Carey = awe-inspiring to me

Danny Carey = best drummer of the 90s

JE Mack
10-23-2006, 10:13 PM
i interpret this as about being the object of someone's obsession/he's singing from the other person's perspective rather than his own.

Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
10-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Danny Carey = best drummer of the 90s and 00s

That's more like it.

resonance.
10-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Danny Carey = best drummer of forever

mjkajdcjc
11-13-2006, 05:09 PM
That's more like it.

Yeah, you are right.

mjkajdcjc
11-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Close, but Neil Peart, John Bonham, Bill Bruford, and Terry Bozzio have him beat barely IMO.

fretforyourfigure462
12-08-2006, 12:50 PM

I think you're absolutely right.

This is one of Tool's easiest songs to decipher because it's so obvious what it means. It speaks for itself.
That's one of many things I like about this song.

fivenichols
12-12-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm expierencing something like this as of now, and this song seems to be my personal anthem. I love it.