PDA

View Full Version : N/a

Bullet
11-19-2002, 04:02 AM
Hmmm...lets see...
Anima = inner self...you know...little bit like soul
Enema = Well...I think we all know this one...if not,check dictionary.com...I can't explain it..

So, the name is mixture of these two words.

Enema to the innerself of U.S (note that I am not citizen of U.S)...something has to chance.

To me it is just a f*ck you world song, but also many other things. And it made me think and search for information (I,for example didn't know what anime ment or what enema ment...or who the f*ck L Ron Hubbard was..Until I heard this song and went looking for information...)

Hunter Rose
11-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Aenema is definitately one of those word/not-a-word combination things. But the word Anima is a bit different than "little bit like soul." Here is a quote from a Carl Jung website (from whom the word Anima was quipped)

-QUOTE-The inner feminine side of a man. (See also animus, Eros, Logos and soul-image.)
The anima is both a personal complex and an archetypal image of woman in the male psyche. It is an unconscious factor incarnated anew in every male child, and is responsible for the mechanism of projection. Initially identified with the personal mother, the anima is later experienced not only in other women but as a pervasive influence in a man's life.

See this link for more- http://www.cgjungpage.org/jplexicona2h.html

In the song, I believe the Enema part refers to the cultural-crap that clogs the veins of society. Taco Bell, Jackass the movie, insecure actresses..., but might only be part of it. The inner feminine side of the man is important. Listening to Aenima- note the different spelling of the CD to the song "Aenema," I haven't figure out the differences in the meanings of the words yet- there is a lot of sexual confusion (or frustration) running throughout the album; "Stinkfist", "Pushit", and "jimmy" practically leak with sexual identification references.

Speaking of L. Ron Hubbard... TOOL had a bad run-in with the Scientology cult. Read the FAQ page for more information; "Disgustipated" never sounded so good.

The Border Line
11-19-2002, 09:09 AM
As I think that Aenema has one of the more easily accessable meanings on the album, I don't really feel like delving into the details of the meaning of the song. The general meaning of Aenema is almost considered common knowlege amongst Tool fans, so I'll leave it to someone who has more time on their hands and is better equipped for the job to explain it to to the newcomers.

As for the spelling of Aenema, (spelled like enema) it seems to me to be more about flushing out all of the unneccessary shit and debris that has accumulated in the place known as LA; the function of an enema. Aenima as a whole, on the other seems to me much more about looking inward and examining what makes you you, (your "soul," if you will). Finding just what lies in your shadow, opening your third eye, and exploring "temporary belief systems" to use some Tool-isms.

First post on the board, things are looking good Kabir!

Bullet
11-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Well, I am a new Tool fan (just few months old,still wet behind the ears ;) ) but I don't see why it should be explained to me. I use my own damn brain to figure it out, was it "right" or not, thank you very much.

This is what dictionary.com gave me from the word Anima:
a) The inner self of an individual; the soul.
b) In Jungian psychology:
1) The unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the persona, or outer aspect of the personality.
2) The feminine inner personality, as present in the unconscious of the male. It is in contrast to the animus, which represents masculine characteristics.

and from enema (to remind myself too)
a) The injection of liquid into the rectum through the anus for cleansing, for stimulating evacuation of the bowels, or for other therapeutic or diagnostic purposes.
b) The fluid so injected.

Sorry to lean towards dictionaries, but I not native english speaker and these words really aren't what's considered as basic in our school ;)

J1516
11-20-2002, 03:00 PM
And for any new tool fans looking into the shadow means looking into what is unknown and discovering more about yourself. Opening your third eye means comming to a new state of awareness.
Aenema is the gateway to get through there. The song talks about clensing sin and clearing out negativity to shape individuality and become more aware; throwing off society or any other individuals thoughts and deciding what you believe. But I really don't think it's a f*ck the world song. The reason he says things like f*ck L Ron Hubbard, f*ck this dysfunctional insecure actresses, f*ck all you junkies and f*ck your short memories is to say that they are needless, not to be rebellious or punk or hardcore.

Grommell
11-21-2002, 02:44 AM
This song tells me that LA (Commerical LA) is in desperate need of some cleansing... the spiritual kind.
I derive this from the name of the track, Ænema, and the way it is spelled. It has a fifth of the title of the album (Ænima) embedded into it (and vice versa).
So to break it down, the Anima part of the album has a little bit of Enema in it (Anima part being the album as a whole) and the Enema part of the album has a little bit of Anima in it (Enema being the track). Thus, the entities and inhabitants of LA need to take a good look at themselves before it all go's under.

Thats what I think anyway.

BentEnvelope
11-21-2002, 02:01 PM
Sorry to stray from the analyzation but......(those of you who have read my other posts may have noticed a trend haha)

I always thought this was one of Tool's better songs, but once I saw it live here in Amherst I fell in love with it. The emotion the band poured into it was unbelieveable. "Cause im praying for rain, praying for tidalwaves," prompted a halt in the flashy lights of the concert and time stood still as I could see nearly all the faces down on the floor due to the bright lights. Just amazing.

waffel
05-24-2006, 04:19 PM
agreed

Janos
06-15-2006, 09:52 AM
IMO. all of you are correct. On this certain occasion, all these viewpoints should be taken into account as song meanings. Cuz Aenema is all of them, OK? Simultaneously.

jack's ennui
06-30-2006, 04:02 PM
i think he used anima because it refferes to the feminine side of every thing... mother nature.. "moms gonna fix it all soon"

kites in knots
07-22-2006, 06:54 PM
In very basic layman's terms, Aenema refers to a spiritual cleansing. Anima=Spirit Enema=Cleansing.

Flush out everything and only the things that can swim (the good stuff) will remain.

PS: I think Jack's Ennui is right on about the reason for using Anima.