PDA

View Full Version : STINKFIST, what i see to be the harsh reality.

Mattywasaracecardriver
01-10-2007, 05:22 PM
The first sentence spells out the point of the song to us immediately. “something has to change”. The only thing to do now other than enjoy the amazing song over and over is figure out what the undeniable dilemma is, and what adsactly needs to change.
The problem is the addiction to sex. Or sexual thoughts and urges. Overstimulation numbs me and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Shows the recognition of how its stopping the rest of the relationship from proceeding in the sense of their feelings, its just the sexual stimulation that is the obsession.
The obsession is turning into an addiction, its not enough I need more, nothing seems to satisfy. Showing how though there is all this stimulation sexually they are not satisfied with how things are going. Even they though are urging for more of it.
The chorus then moves even deeper into the emotional dilemma. I get the impression that perhaps the relationship refers to one member being more experienced in sexual relationships and addicted to sex. While the other is more emotionally attached, and unaccustomed to any form of sexual intercourse. Finger deep within the borderline has a double meaning, one being that one party is slowly edging the other into having sexual relations, while the other is more a graphic symbol of “him” entering her borderline – her bodily borderline and the amount “she” is willing to go.
I can help you change tired moments into pleasure, is sort of persuading her that everything will be for the better, even though previously it was described as an addiction or undeniable dilemma. Say the word and we’ll be well upon our way. The necessity for consent just confirms the idea that this is relevant to sex.
Blend and balance, pain and comfort. This perhaps could explain thoughts on losing virginity, the pain of the first time mixed in with the comfort of being in a loved ones arms. All meanwhile there is a sense that the person speaking is the one in the wrong so to speak, perhaps not going too far but pushing the physicality onto another to feed the addiction.
Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be, desensitised to everything what became of subtlety? Now that he has once again given into his sexual urges and even pushed them onto someone else, the realisation and regret kick in, and he realises that there is so much more to a relationship and happiness.
The end few sections talk of the absence of these strong emotions of love and tenderness, but then shows the possible addictive personality pushing through once again, showing a determination to discover these feelings by pushing deeper inside the borderline.
This song to me shows a dark side to the pressures that come with sex in a relationship, and the perception rather interestingly is from the person who is maybe the weaker of the two. Showing the addiction, and the strife it brings, but also the recognition of this self made burden, and the desire to move beyond it.
Stinkfist, as a title to me, is referring to the physical aspect that dominates the relationship of two people.

I strongly believe this song not to be about drugs, or anything but some sort of sexual relations. Though I feel my points above are accurate id be interested to here any other aspects I have quite possibly missed out, or any tweaks that people feel should be made.

resonance.
01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
There's something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be desensitized to everything. What became of subtlety?

/thread

Mattywasaracecardriver
01-25-2007, 04:32 PM
my my my, people sure do like discussing new ideas. what do u guys think of this ? ? ?

Him
01-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Those are some interesting ideas. For me this song has a very personal meaning, I see almost everyone just wanting sex sex sex, and when someone wants to develop a real relationship or to move to a more mature place no-one really cares (especially society) and it's just back to sex. It seems to be way overemphasized while there is a lot more people could be focusing at in their lives. "IT'S NOT ENOUGH!" seems to say this but at the same time he can't stop, that's all we want, sex, it's easy enough but we want to develop it and feel the most we can feel. So we go further and further. Making love is not enough so we fuck against the wall, but that's not enough so we have anal sex, but that's not enough soon enough so we have group sex and fist each other. But it's not enough.... And the message this song holds is that we just need to develop deeper relationships with others and ourselves or we will never be satisfied no matter how much we push ourselves in the quick-fix. Obviously a correlation to drugs, but I definantly don't perceive the song as about drugs. I think this is one of Tool's songs that is extremely flexible on interpretation even though it might not appear so for surface value. I've been able to look at this many ways and get something new out of it each time. Just my opinion.

getthis
01-29-2007, 02:40 AM
[QUOTE=Mattywasaracecardriver;1661576]The first sentence spells out the point of the song to us immediately. “something has to change”. The only thing to do now other than enjoy the amazing song over and over is figure out what the undeniable...

You are RIGHT on... (how are people missing this??)

getthis
01-29-2007, 02:51 AM
"I strongly believe this song not to be about drugs, or anything but some sort of sexual relations. Though I feel my points above are accurate id be interested to here any other aspects I have quite possibly missed out, or any tweaks that people feel should be made.[/QUOTE]"

To take things further, my own personal (and really quite sickening) insight is that 'Stinkfist' refers to the act of 'anal fisting' and the extremity of the act - To me this signifies the depths we have plumbed in order to 'feel alive'.. People resort to the most extreme measures to feel alive when the sad thing is that more traditional things e.g. raising a family, having a meaningful relationship etc, are, in our day and age, devalued and forgotten...

We have lost our sensitivity to things, and not just to sex but to violence, to spirituality, to music etc...

Is it not ironic that Tool had to resort to one of their most musically powerful songs to get their message across?

cheers

+++++Darth+++++
01-29-2007, 06:35 AM
The first sentence spells out the point of the song to us immediately. “something has to change”. The only thing to do now other than enjoy the amazing song over and over is figure out what the undeniable dilemma is, and what adsactly needs to change.

Is it boredom? And how/what are we suppose to do to prevent us from being bored?

That's what I always thought the undeniable dilemma was.

Maybe this person was bored with conventional sex and wanted to try anal.

To me, anal sex isn't all that better, but I still ask my girlfriend to give it up constantly.
"It's not enough, I need more,
Nothing seems to satisfy,
I don't want it, I just need it,
To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive"

Mattywasaracecardriver
01-29-2007, 07:10 AM
yeah all of the points made above are right on. i went into a lot of detail about one idea, but this song has so many , all based around the theme of needing to push the limits.