PDA

View Full Version : The Patient is about one's doubts in keeping faith to God.

Mattywasaracecardriver
01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
The Patient is all those people who have at one stage in their life had something that makes them re-think or querie their faith. "is this is a test? it has to be, otherwise i cant go on" - shows us the fear of what life could be without a deeper meaning to life and a God. This point is then strengthened later on in the song with the lines "If there were no rewards to reap". this is asking the key question what the point of life actually is.
The songs moves on to re-affirming those beliefs, asking questions and confirming that without this belief they would have given up on life already - "i certainly would have walked away by now."
The world and society is the "Vampire" attempting to suck the faith out of us. And i think here Maynard could just be saying "BE PATIENT", and see what happens. Complete the test and see if the rewards are there to be reaped.
The versus are all the queries that the believer may have, The damaged and broken met along. this could talk about how no one on earth is fit to judge and in comparison to the all mighty we are all damaged and broken by the shit in life.

Though i myself am an agnostic its a nice thought on life, that this tedious path were all living out is a test, gaining us access to a higher place one day. all we need do is wait it out and be patient.

please discuss i only came up with this point last night in bed listening to The Patient as i fell asleep.

mr. nikki jensen
01-12-2007, 11:37 AM
interesting thought. havent thought about it that way before

SMEPman
01-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Interesting analysis.

To me it's basically about resisting temptation while remaing vigilant in your life's persuits. There's many tests and opportunites to teach and learn in life. Only the strong survive, so keep the faith.....be patient...wait it out ...because, the in the end, what you sew, you will reap.

Mattywasaracecardriver
01-15-2007, 03:51 PM
yeah thats pretty much how i feel the main messege is of it is too. though i like the thought that even though i get an overwhelming tingly feeling of solemn sadness almost, i still find this song makes me happy after listening to it. its got to be one of my favourite songs of all time right now.

PShepherd11
01-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Interesting idea you've got there, I never thought of it that way either. I always thought this song was about a relationship, like most of the other songs on this album. Maybe I interpreted it that way because of the relationship I was in then, which was difficult at most times, but I knew it would change and that I should "wait it out."

Mattywasaracecardriver
01-20-2007, 04:53 AM
i also have a theory about it being about relationships, which sometime soon i may write up for this site. this was just an odd idea i got one night literally outof the blue i was just laying in bed, and suddenly this idea just popped into my head. so i thought it might be worth writing down. im not surprised that not many people so far have considered this possibility yet either. im amazed i thought of it

Inner_Eulogy
01-24-2007, 04:50 PM
I always thought of it as being either related to their legal battle they had prior to this record or also more so the way he feels about us fans. I mean, he's the kind of guy that just wants his words to be heard but doesn't want to get all caught up in the celebrity bullshit. I'm sure he loves his fans in a sense because without us he and the band just wouldn't be where they are today but, at the same time he probably is sick of most of these over-zealous fans.

xyno512
01-25-2007, 07:36 AM
I always took it as the struggle just to keep faith with someone you once loved very deeply, be that a god or fans or a loved one. I know when I broke up with my girlfriend, this was one of the songs that comforted me. "This tedious path I've chosen here/ I certainly wouldn't walk away/ by now." You want to keep whatever was there, no matter what the cost, but...

"...And still may.../...and i still..."

you still have the ever growing fear that what you once viewed as perfect or lovable or an answer to life's great problems is a sham.

hobblegobble
01-26-2007, 10:42 AM
A struggle with yourself...A struggle with anything that tests one's patience...maybe not a certain thing...just anything...and maybe a reminder that one's will is constantly fucked with...constantly...I really think this song is not about one certain thing that happens or happened...just a general overall view of a great way to get through a rough time...