PDA

View Full Version : My new thoughts on the song

stevejols
01-07-2007, 08:37 PM
I my interpretation:

Some dude eats too much LSD and thinks he sees aliens and finds out the meaning of life. He is kind of a dumb fuck so he thinks he actually sees an E.T. like aliens and thinks it actually happened.

Why I think this song exists:

-Poking a little bit of fun at people who eat too much LSD and are not actually meaningfull experiences

-To play some really awesome music and have it be very well integrated with a funny story

-To freak out people tripping at Tool shows

one more thought:
I'm really interested in how Tool Packages music. I feel like they hold back a little just on purpose or something.

The climax "overwhelmed as one could be (ect.)" is so ridiculously beautiful musically. Also it really ties the story together. I see it as a flashback to the peak of his LSD trip (the dude in the story) and the following put (and parts before) is much much more grounding when partaking in the chemical the dude in the story is indulging in. I think there is like 5 or something guitars going and a some really subtle and interesting vocal effects. Does anybody else here the heavily layered guitars way in the back of the mix or am I just tripping?

plexus
01-08-2007, 11:37 PM
new thoughts? where?

people_do_like_me
01-10-2007, 01:40 AM
He takes Yogi DMT. If you've ever done DMT, you know that it feels real. I am eagerly awaiting the chance to do it, but am unable to attain any so,....anyways, Maynard sings about what he's describing in the fast-paced rant in almost every song. Think of it as the body and mind being seperate and that other dimensions do exist. Yeah, it sounds cool. But, Maynard feels obligated to share this info with us. "You better listen."
"You are the Chosen One,
the One who will deliver the message.
A message of hope for those who choose to hear it
and a warning for those who do not."
You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better...
You'd better listen.

He tells us four times in a row and you think it's just a sick joke to trip people out? That seems pretty surface level to me.

"You believe me, don't you?
Please believe what I've just said!
See the Dead ain't touring
And this wasn't all in my head."

stevejols
01-10-2007, 07:36 AM
new thoughts? where?

What I meant was they were new thoughts of mine. I need not read every thread to make sure all my ideas were covered. Some of them I sure are but all of them?

+++++Darth+++++
01-13-2007, 05:41 AM
I just like the credibility of the story.

I mean if all these things really happened to him...no one would ever believe him.

"You believe me don't you,
please believe what I just said"

Paradyne
01-29-2007, 09:49 AM
yeah, DMT. this stuff is supposed to completely overwhelm any sense of reality you may have had. it apparently gives you the sense of being "the one" and I guess a bunch of crazy shit happens, including aliens. check out http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/psychoactives.shtml
for any drug info whatsoever. the DMT experiences are all pretty wild. and they all include "the one" feeling.