PDA

View Full Version : Right In Two = "Letters From The Earth" -Mark Twain

Sequoia225
01-04-2007, 02:34 PM
I just joined this forum and cant possibly weed through even a fraction of all thats here but I have a question.

Regarding the song Right In Two, has anyone mentioned the book
"Letters From The Earth"?
Its a book by Mark Twain. It is one of my favorite little stories.
If anyone likes the theme of this song, you will love this book. Who knows if it was an influence but the theme is the same. Its about Satan being cast down from Heaven to live on Earth and he writes letters back to heaven from Earth reporting on all the crazy things he observes humans doing regarding their morals, views on God and Heaven, etc etc.

I highly recommend it.

Ok go now! Go buy it!

Go on! What are you waiting for....................

If it has been mentioned here many times regarding this song, well then I apologize. - but go read it anyway.........

cheers

Carbonatedgravy
01-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Sounds cool, and though I've admittedly not read everything here, I haven't seen anyone bring this up. I'd bet the similarities in themes are coincidental though since the core idea of the song and of the story is pretty basic.

marcus
01-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Satan went of his own accord in this book.

Sequoia225
01-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Sounds cool, and though I've admittedly not read everything here, I haven't seen anyone bring this up. I'd bet the similarities in themes are coincidental though since the core idea of the song and of the story is pretty basic.

Oh I agree, I mean this is a theme thats probably been with us as long as the ideas behind it have. Its just the first thing that came to my mind cause of the dialog in the book.

And as far as the detail about Satan, as I said, its been years since I read it and I just know he was in some way "kicked out of heaven" in the book and then ended up on earth writing back to heaven on the strange things he observed humans doing.

marcus
01-05-2007, 05:23 PM
It has been a few years since I read it too. If I remember correctly he was pissed at God for creating the universe(he prefered the darkness). Curiousity got the better of him so he traveled to Earth to see what the humans were doing. He sent the letters back to the other Archangels.

It is a biting commentary on the human race and they would not publish it when he was still alive.