PDA

View Full Version : The (symbolic) meaning of Third Eye? Tool? The whispers? Rosetta Stoned?

ThirdEyeSeed
01-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Alright, this thread will most likely make me sound psychotic for those of you with a biit closed minds. I don't know if any of this has been said before and I just sound like a douche bag, or if this is something new and interesting to everyone. The end of Third Eye is bombarded with symbolism. No clue if you know this or not . . . But, I want to get on to that and skip the beginning. Then, when you read the lyrics to the beginning of the song again it'll just make sense. I'm starting at the "shrouding all the ground around me" point of the song. He's basically describing a trip while giving another meaning behind it with symbols. I hope I don't come off as a douche bag, really . . .

Shrouding all the ground around me
Is this holy crow above me.
A crow is usually like, an omen of death. Holy crow is a referance to God and how it probably was casting, not exactly a shadow, but cramped anxiety that he can't get away from. He wants answers. It's like, all these questions about God are kind of getting to his head. He can't stop thinking about them . . .

Black as holes within a memory
And blue as our new second sun.
Black is usually associated with, you know, hopelessness. Hence the goth thing, you know? This "feeling" that "God" is casting makes him feel "hopeless" like no other "hole" he's fallen into. If you're still following me, skip to the next paragraph, if you're lost a little this might help clarify; In an interview in amotion (APC), Maynard said something around the lines of "[Weak and Powerless music video] is about people feeding this hole in the middle of their psyche. They try to feed it but it just won't fill up." While I'm mentioning Amotion, he references symbolism in there so that makes me feel a little less insane for typing this all up.
Now, when he says blue as our new second sun, I'm gonna be honest and say that throws me off. I know blue is sometimes a referance to stability, so maybe (this is just really a wild guess) it's trying to say that they aren't stable. There's probably a meaning behind second sun, honestly, no idea what. It might be associated with alchemy . . . Or something; I don't know, google the damn thing. It might be a shot at our entire world, or the government, since it does say new second sun and this could be how everyone wants to be number one/the ruler. I don't know, really, this paragraph is random babble.

I stick my hand into his shadow
To pull the pieces from the sand.
Which I attempt to reassemble
To see just who I might have been.
When he says "stick my hand into his shadow", I really think he means search through the past. Not necessarily the crow's, but the past in general which has been consumed by this "crow"- this fear of "God".
I'm taking this as he wants to find the facts, not hear what he's told. He wants truth (That's a fact, check meaning of 3 Libras music video), he wants to find the genuine him. He doesn't want himself to be tainted ("shadowed") by rules, regulations, or authority. He basically is saying he's trying to figure out who he'd be if he'd never listened to authority. He wants truth, not bullshit.

NOW, this is where the interpretation seems annoyingly lengthy. If not to you, then to me. The following supports the previous symbolic interpretations:
Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities—the political, the religious, the educational authorities—who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing—forming in our minds—THEIR view of reality. To think for yourself, you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

Also, the idea that he may believe he needs to find out who he can be associated with this part of Leary's manual:
"This contrasts and compares perfectly with the chaos without. We’re living in a universe, which has one hundred billion galaxies, each galaxy with star systems, planets, a complexity, again, which to our minds right now is chaotic, incomprehensible.
Chaos is beautiful. Now many times we are afraid because we want order. We can’t deal with the confusion and disorder. We want form. We want rules. Yes, throughout human history there have been people—religious leaders, political leaders—who will give you order. They will give you rules and commandments."

I do not recognize the vessel,
But the eyes seem so familiar.
Like phosphorescent desert buttons
Singing one familiar song . . .

"So good to see you.
I've missed you so much.
So glad it's over.
I've missed you so much.
Came out to watch you play.
Why are you running away?"
Alright, now, we know they've read into Timothy Leary. We know he's, at least partially, trying to reach a level of consciousness the mainstream world would label psychotic. Maynard is saying he doesn't recognize this newfoundself but it IS familiar. Maynard has been quoted as saying (I can't find out where the hell this came from though):
“I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.”
This supports the idea that he's reached a peak he's reached before when on a psychedelic. He found this vessel, he recognizes it, it's his third eye, and it's saying it's so glad to see him again. They're reunited; but now the peak is ending and then, "Why are you running away?"

Prying open my third eye.
So good to see you once again.
I thought that you were hiding.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing the tail of dogma.
I opened my eye and there we were.

So good to see you once again
I thought that you were hiding from me.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing a trail of smoke and reason.
This is Maynard talking to the eye. Pretty straight forward . . .

[I]Prying open my third eye
Now, for a random though here. One that makes me sound 100% psychotic. But still, one that I think is fun to think about. IF Tool has reached a level of enlightenment preached by Timothy Leary, what is it? This is the last four paragraphs of Leary's Manual:
"This is the first paragraph, the first attempt, the first child’s primer in how to communicate using both the orderly left brain and the chaotic, confusing language of photons and electrons. The brain is a photovore. Your brain, my brain, our brains live on light. Just as the body needs air and carbohydrates, our brains are starved for light, for illumination, for revelation.
Use your head. Learn how to operate your brain. The brain is designed to design realities.
Marshall McCluhan made the prophecy. He told us that the aim of evolution was to use media to create what we all want: the global village, the language, which can be understood by every human being, by every brain. The basic language of humanity, the language of the brain, lights, sounds, rhythms, pulsating your bones, moving your body. We all know this language. We can all sing and dance this language of electrons, of radio waves, of rhythms.
Now we have digital communication. We can create our fantasies. We can create our rhythms, design on screen. A new language will develop, a global language, not based on letters, not based on grammars, the language which we all understand, based on clusters of waves of light and sound. We all understand. We all celebrate. We all glory in the light, the illumination, the contact, the intersection, the interaction from around the world, the language of form. We will create a language of international, global brain linkup. Anyone in any culture watching this screen will get the general picture. It’s one global village. It’s one global human spirit, one global human race. As we link up through screens, linked by electrons and photons, we will create for the first time a global humanity, not separated by words or minds or nationalities or religious biases."

(Post too long; read rest on next post.)

ThirdEyeSeed
01-01-2007, 02:11 PM
(Cont'd . . . )

Maybe that's why Tool kicks so much ass? Go read the first bit of lyrics and the song should be so much clearer. And yeah, back to beginning of the first part of the original Third Eye with Bill Hicks:
"See, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And, if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor; go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes and all your cds and burn them, 'cause you know what? All the musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your life throughout the years? Real fucking high on drugs!"

And, to quote the person who found out the "whispers" from the song:
"It came from an Irish novel. Open it in the light. It came from a novel, now you will find it" then near around 10:55 it says "Open".
It came from an Irish novel? Maybe it was a referance to Timothy Leary. Once again- Leary. I read on wiki, and he wasn't born Ireland. He was born in Massachusetts. His Dad was born in Ireland. An Irish novel? While Leary's Brain Manual is far from a novel, it's the most relevant conclusion I could get to. Never listened to the audio of this though.

Ah, yeah, it's all really interesting. But, then again, I could just be psychotic myself. Which would kind of suck. Or, I could have figured out what the hell this song is about. Maynard is a genius, no doubt.

AH, and, to the quote from Maynard earlier where he mentioned people wasting psychedelics just so they can have a fun trip. This may also be pointing at the fact that, in Rosetta Stoned, lots of people *cough*stereotypical high school dropouts*cough* just use psychedelics to trip instead of to advance their way of thinking ("They chose me, and I didn't graduate from fucking high school"). This might be the connection between the two songs that people notice . . . ?

YEAH, so this became way too long. I feel like a douche bag. But still, I want to know, what does everyone think?

Solaris
01-04-2007, 04:07 AM
THIS GUY IS RIGHT! ALL THESE YEARS OF OVERANALYZING! WE ALL WERE WRONG!

muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Ok enough irony for today. I think you had some good points, but I don't fully agree with you. Especially the part about Rosetta Stoned seems a bit odd to me.

hartology
01-05-2007, 06:58 AM
i realy like you ideas on the song. you did a good job and i think somme of the stuff you said might actualy be right. like the brain manual sounds like the most apt choice to explain the "Irish novel" part of the wispers.

]v[edusa
02-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Maynard has been quoted as saying (I can't find out where the hell this came from though):
“I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.”
This supports the idea that he's reached a peak he's reached before when on a psychedelic. He found this vessel, he recognizes it, it's his third eye, and it's saying it's so glad to see him again. They're reunited; but now the peak is ending and then, "Why are you running away?"

sweet. i hope a majority of the listeners realize this. i remember people saying that tool's saying its alright to take lsd. but maynard is saying more then just that.

Psychedelics should only be used to give you a glimpse of the higher chakras. Throughout history people have been using psychedelics to become aware of the higher chakras so that they can try and reach for them without drugs.

Most people are only aware of their lower 3 chakras (survival, sex, and will/ego chakras). There seems to be a wall that is between the lower and higher chakras making it harder for people to realize that there are higher levels.

People keep abusing lsd by constantly retaking it. after the drug shows you your third eye, it dies down and brings you right back to the lower chakras. instead of people trying to reach for their third eye through various spiritual practices, they are just taking LSD over and over again or prying their third eye open.

Maynard is basically telling us to find our third eye but we shouldnt be doing it in the means of prying it open with psychedelics. The only way that we can keep our third eye open is by taking spiritual paths.

-

and i also agree with ThirdEyeSeed that this song is parallel to Rosetta Stoned (and possibly Reflection).
Hes trying to tell people that we arent suppost to be fooling around with this drug. It 's suppost to be taken a lot more seriously by using it once to evolving spiritually.

*im not telling people to take LSD because you dont have to take it to reach for your third eye.

edit: oh yah and the "let me out" or "lift me out" that everyone was talking about at around 7:51, i think hes talking about his desire to get out of the lower chakras ....

Eight
03-02-2007, 03:52 PM
This is really interesting to me. I haven't read that much on Leary, but parts of this do seem to tie into the song.
Nicely done.