PDA

View Full Version : Hidden secrets?

mne pohuy
11-27-2002, 09:56 PM
Just another amazing aspect of Danny.... (this is what I read, it could be just a bogus pos but it didn't sound like it oh well). Anyways, Danny is interested in numerology and geometry cool stuff like that. It's amazing that he seems to incorporate these elements into his playing (which makes sense because music is all numbers too). But Lateralus is in 9/8, 8/8, and 7/8 cycling over 12 measures to make the verse. During the next part which has the Fibonacci numbers in the lyrics, Danny plays in 5. Now in this interview i read, they said Danny takes patterns like this into playing. The bass drum is pretty constant till he starts on the high hat, Then listen closely to the bass drum pattern in synchronization to the tom pattern. See if you can find a pattern in there. Think 5/8. Then the song transfers to what feels like 6/8 later in the song. There is this one part of the song where it sounds like Danny's playing fivelets (is that part in 4?). It's odd, then he goes into that badass drum groove with the quick bass and the odd placed highhat accents. Then the last part with the sliding bass seems to be in 3/4. See if you can find any underlying secrets in the meter or rhythms of this song. Post what you think.

sk8ingknot4659
12-05-2002, 04:04 PM
well, origanally this song was going to be named 987 becuz of the way danny plays this song

bottom_feeder99
12-05-2002, 04:09 PM
The song was going to be caled 987 because it's time siganture in the course go's 7/8 8/8or 4/4 9/8

Andy DV
12-05-2002, 10:23 PM
You may also notice the Fibonacci sequence in Lateralus. I got this info from an interview between Maynard and a philosophy professor (I think). Each number in the sequence is generated by adding the previous two, which produces a string of numbers like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987.

In some of the lyrics, it uses this sequence:

1 (Black)
1 (then)
2 (white are)
3 (all I see)
5 (in my in-fan-cy.)
8 (red and yel-low then came to be),
5 (reach-ing out to me.)
3 (lets me see.)

Also, towards the end of the song, during "Feel the rythym" until "swing on the spiral" Maynard is saying "Step out" among other things I can't make out. Let me know what you think.

Christopher
12-06-2002, 07:43 PM
from my geometry knowledge the Fibonacci sequence is the number form of a spiral (you know the one......looks like a sea shell).........you can catch on from there.

|----------------------------------------|
|........................... | ......................... |
|............................|.................... .......|
|............13.............|..................... ......|
|--------------------|.............. 21 ........|
|............|__2_|..3...|........................ ...|
|............|1.|1.|......|....................... .....|
|......8....|..............|...................... .......|
|...........|........5.....|...................... .......|
|_______|_________|__________________|

^
its not mathmatically correct but thats what the fibancci spiral looks like

EmbraceTdOxOmL
12-07-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by bottom_feeder99
The song was going to be caled 987 because it's time siganture in the course go's 7/8 8/8or 4/4 9/8

the correct time signature is 9/8 8/8 7/8

1 (Black)
1 (then)
2 (white are)
3 (all I see)
5 (in my in-fan-cy.)
5 (reach-ing out to me.)
3 (lets me see.)
2 (there is)
1 (so)
1 (much)
2 (more that)
3 (beck-ons me)
5 (to look thru to these)
8 (in-fin-ite pos-si-bi-li-ties)
13 (As be-low, so ab-ove and bey-ond, i im-ag-ine)
8 (drawn out-side the lines of rea-son)
5 (push the en-ve-lope)
3 (Watch it bend)

And if you dig into it realy deep, you just may discover some crazy mathmetical equation in dannys drum patterns that will completely explain the song perfectly and make you completley understand all of tools music just as well as the band themselves do and youll go insane because all of the tool fans are so sceptical that none of them will believe you...

or maybee youll get tired, give up, smoke a bowl, and take a nap...

DRIFTING
12-18-2002, 04:23 PM
In another lifetime (high school) i was in the drum line for our high school marching band(no jokes).
We had an exercise that was called 987. The purpose was to make us think continuously because of the rapidly changing time signatures. Our instructor who was into meditation and a strange mix of buddihsm and enochian magic drew the geometric representation of the exercise and what it was looked like a spiral that swallowed itself and then expanded back again. Food for thought.

holy reality
12-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Andy DV
You may also notice the Fibonacci sequence in Lateralus. I got this info from an interview between Maynard and a philosophy professor (I think). Each number in the sequence is generated by adding the previous two, which produces a string of numbers like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987.

In some of the lyrics, it uses this sequence:

1 (Black)
1 (then)
2 (white are)
3 (all I see)
5 (in my in-fan-cy.)
5 (reach-ing out to me.)
3 (lets me see.)

Also, towards the end of the song, during "Feel the rythym" until "swing on the spiral" Maynard is saying "Step out" among other things I can't make out. Let me know what you think.

it's really not that hard to make out with headphones, he starts in your right ear, moves to the center where it's very hard to hear, then to left and kind of circles around

Maynard just starts singing this:

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

and the voice sings that as well, just way faster than Maynard does, he might say them in a different order, but that's pretty much all he's saying, then he says "step out" repeatedly