PDA

View Full Version : Danny/Justin "borrowing" from Meshuggah for right in two

Sea of Lies
12-22-2006, 12:12 PM
So i searched around this forum to see if anyone has already pointed it out, and i didn't find anything.. so if it has been already posted sorry.

I was hearing Meshuggah's Catch 33 some days ago, and when i came to the song In Death - Is death i found this guitar riff at the beggining, and at the middle of the song, that is SO like the drumming/bass pattern Danny and Justin use at the end of the song.

You can hear it clearly from aprox 2:55 to 4:00 in In death is death. Hear the lowest guitar note, the pattern is 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2.... you can hear it also in the background at the beginning of the song..

Now hear Right in Two, 6:24 to 7:08 aprox... do you recognize it? Danny starts, then at 6:33 Justin joins...

Yes i know they have cited Meshuggah as a huge influence... and i prefer TOOL over meshuggah, but this one was kind of... explicit. Maybe they heard it, stuck in their heads and it came when jamming like "hey this sounds cool" and it made it to right in two... and i think sounds great, but now everytime i hear right in two i think meshuggah.

Catch 33's from 2005... so i doubt they played in death-is death when touring with tool... and we've seen Danny using meshuggah hoodies so.. i think he had this cd playing over and over while they were recording? I'd like to think of that part of right in two as a tribute for a band Danny admires now...

mr. nikki jensen
12-27-2006, 12:47 PM
i should try this out later. i havent noticed that beforebut maybe you're right