PDA

View Full Version : maynard and adam in harmony

toolrox19
12-22-2006, 12:06 PM
my favroite part is the part from 4:50-5:20 and then the best ( in my opinion) 5:31, "i must keep reminding my self of this" it is just so cool how adam and maynard are, kind of "playing the same notes" you could say,

what are your fav parts????????????????????????/

Hym
12-22-2006, 04:03 PM
The fact that they are "playing the same notes" means there is no harmony, but I get your point. That's a great part, but my favourite is the climax when there are two vocal parts at the same time.

magicbus
12-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Yea no kidding. The epic dual melodies at the end is so good. Such a great song.

toolrox19
12-22-2006, 07:29 PM
yeah, all of the part by the "must keep reminding myself of this" is great

Jimmeny
12-23-2006, 05:39 AM
The fact that they are "playing the same notes" means there is no harmony, but I get your point. That's a great part, but my favourite is the climax when there are two vocal parts at the same time.

Unison is a form of harmony.

paraflux
12-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I... dont think unison is harmony, for to have harmony you must have staggered intervals of notes, not the same one repeated.

toolrox19
01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
i almost had to shoot my friend today he said tool was boring, he plays guitar

base metal
01-04-2007, 05:47 PM
My favorite parts of this song...

-the first minute or so has great atmosphere and is very relaxing to me.

-the part @ 4.40 when they bust out into that heavy jam kicks ass.

-from 5.21 into the "I must keep reminding myself of this" is probably my favorite too, it's really uplifting.....and the whole part is a harmony, they're not hitting the exact same notes, it just seems like it.

cheers.

Gently
01-22-2007, 05:45 PM
this is a great song for guitar, it makes me feel just..great. :)

Arkham Asylum
02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
1. The second time Maynard says, "I'm right heeeeeeere." He goes from soft to that oh-so-familiar growl from back in the day. At the same time, the music volumes up and crashes into the heavy part of the song.

2. Towards the end of the song where there are dual vocals overlapping: the "I must keep reminding myself of this" over the "rewards to reap" verse.

If anyone really wants to hear the harmony in "The Patient", check out this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3fYMRuQhkY

I didn't make the video, but I gotta hand it to that kid. Hearing "The Patient" played by him on the piano really exposes the song's most beautiful core parts. If only he did the whole song...

Cheesegreater
02-11-2007, 11:48 AM
1. The second time Maynard says, "I'm right heeeeeeere." He goes from soft to that oh-so-familiar growl from back in the day. At the same time, the music volumes up and crashes into the heavy part of the song.

2. Towards the end of the song where there are dual vocals overlapping: the "I must keep reminding myself of this" over the "rewards to reap" verse.

If anyone really wants to hear the harmony in "The Patient", check out this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3fYMRuQhkY

I didn't make the video, but I gotta hand it to that kid. Hearing "The Patient" played by him on the piano really exposes the song's most beautiful core parts. If only he did the whole song...

Yeah it's a chick that does all those Tool songs on piano. It's fucking beautiful on piano. You really get to appreciate the melodies in a new light. Tool songs sound very classical in their composure on piano. Wish I could do what she does!

Arkham Asylum
02-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I didn't know it was a girl.

Corrections to my post: played by HER.

Props to that girl.

magicbus
02-11-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't think it's a girl...check out this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxw6MC8BW-Q

Sounds like a dude :p

Arkham Asylum
02-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, also based on the comments from his friends, he seems to be a guy. The kid's name is Tyler.

Regardless, I think everyone got the point across about "The Patient".

magicbus
02-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Haha, exactly. It's an amazing song, and the part at the end is epic. Give me chills every time I hear it.

fixmenow
02-19-2007, 08:47 AM
hym, same here thats where im feeling it also

PhilTheVoid
02-21-2007, 04:24 AM
i almost had to shoot my friend today he said tool was boring, he plays guitar

once i tried to introduce a friend of mine to Tool and i started off with 46&2.
about 15 seconds into the song, he said "does this riff just keep repeating itself?"
what a dick.
it's hard to introduce people to Tool. i think Tool introduces itself to people.

toolrox19
03-11-2007, 04:15 PM
yeah its like an accuried taste and you have to really be able to apriceate good music to like them

O.G.T.92
03-11-2007, 05:21 PM
about 15 seconds into the song, he said "does this riff just keep repeating itself?"
what a dick.
it's hard to introduce people to Tool. i think Tool introduces itself to people.

Well put, new listeners have to go in without high expectations, because these songs have to grow on you. Best method is have it kicking in the car or something with someone and chances are they'll be like "This is kinda cool, who is it?" Then they feel like they've discovered something and will usually bond with it quicker. If you sit someone down and say " you have to hear this! It's the best thing ever!" they'll probably take a shit on it.

base metal
03-13-2007, 04:39 PM
My favorite parts

-the first minute or so has great atmosphere and is very relaxing to me.

-the part @ 4.40 when they bust out into that heavy jam kicks ass.

-from 5.21 into the "I must keep reminding myself of this" is probably my favorite too, it's really moving.....I think the whole part is a harmony though, they're not hitting the exact same notes. It does have that effect though.

cheers.

I re-did this post a little because I think I sounded a little conceded last time, I'm not trying to be a know it all.

jadeyw
03-29-2007, 05:36 PM
cheers for pointing me to the 'piano patient', wonderful stuff. my fav part in the song and all tool songs comes later in the song with the dual vocals and screamings guitar that threathen to explode my ear drums with every listen, giving way to (around 6.10) 'i certainly would have walked away by now, and i still may'. maynards voice there is perfection

Mattywasaracecardriver
03-30-2007, 02:12 PM
my favourite part is where Maynard first starts singing. his voice. the atmosphere in the song. its mindblowing.

Esurient4Truth
03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
my favorite part is the opening
*sob...it always gets me...

Mattywasaracecardriver
03-30-2007, 02:16 PM
some of the piano covers of this are brilliant, i could listen to them all day. am now blatently going to go off and learn how to play The Patient on piano.

Opiate Son
04-11-2007, 01:55 PM
my favourite part is where Maynard first starts singing. his voice. the atmosphere in the song. its mindblowing.

I second that!

Opiate Son
04-11-2007, 01:59 PM
This song took me the longest to get into from this record. I liked it right away but it took me a while to LOVE it. In fact i was driving in the rain the other day listening to it very loud (i have a decent Bose stereo system in my car and any Tool sounds just perfect on it) and gained a new appreciation for this song, 6 freakin years later! It was like hearing it for the first time again, no other band can do that to me.

04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
what a dick.

He's just not holy enough.