PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of life.

Tawny
06-16-2003, 01:18 PM
I have two small children and in buying them baby toys, I have learned that it is good for them to look at things with black and white in them. This draws me to the words in Lateralus that go something like this:

"Black and white are all I see in my infancy"

And that brings me to the next part of the song:

"Red and yellow then came to be let's me see"

I know that these colors are fundamental to babies development and I wonder if Tool meant it this way or if it is just coincidence. Let me know what you all think!

Tawny

Tantobourne
06-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Tawny
I wonder if Tool meant it this way or if it is just coincidence.

I'd venture to guess that it was intended but I don't have anything to back up that guess.

-Tant

Binah3
06-18-2003, 10:10 PM
It could quite possible be related to babies. Cesaro Summability on Aenima has people thinking that it is about a baby's entrance into this world.

i personally think that lateralus is about reaching a higher mentality in a spiritual sense. Getting to that point of mecca where everything is so crisp and beautiful.

"Black then white are all i see in my infancy" could be refering to the stages prior to reaching that point of mecca saying that it is dull and boring.

"Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, lets me see." could be referring to the aproach to mecca.

"Feed my will to fell this moment, urging me across the line. Reaching out to embrace the rythm, reaching out to embrace whatever may come." is referring to the want to get to that high point, that higher frequency.

"With my feet upon the ground i lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it i feel it move across my skin..." is referring to the step across the threshold to mecca.

"Spiral out, keep going, spiral out, keep going." is referring to the point of no return from this comfortable space.

All in all my personal interpretation of this song is that its about taking your mind to a higher level and not stopping at any level and always wanting to go further and further to higher levels of mentality.

Tawny
06-19-2003, 12:20 PM
You pretty much sum it all up doncha!?!?