PDA

View Full Version : Maynard or Bill Hicks?

chaotic_confusion
12-21-2006, 04:11 AM
I original posted this theory on April 22 http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=43063

I would like to discuss which of the two current theories has more credibility, not necessarily argue, but discuss.

So far my thought is that it could go either way due to the "Bob help me!" refference (justified in Maynard's blog on www.puscifer.com, brought up here originally http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=58232 ), and the "no one's listening" theory brought up in the "the song is simply about Maynard" thread ( http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=67757 .

However, other than a short thread started and ended by hydrix, and my own, there have been few attempts to justify the Bill Hicks side of the arguement.

Talk amongst one another.

chaotic_confusion
12-21-2006, 04:23 AM
I very much enjoy that theory, however it will definitely take time to sink in, that one. After that i can only hope for more of such intellect during this discussion.

chaotic_confusion
12-21-2006, 04:36 AM
Interesting, I'll be sure to give it a closer listen (though i wish it were available on vinyl, that would definitely help the process).

ELBAZ
12-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Level 3: the song is about Tool fans looking for holy track orders but miss the point because the message is already quite obvious.

ergo, the song is a serious warning, the song has (dark) humour, the song mocks Tool fans who see Maynard/Tool as Gods or something, the song is a Reflection of Tool in all its ways.

A message of hope for those who chose to hear
and a warning for those who do not.[/QUOTE]

i think its the easy way out of thinking
and that there is more to this song...
and there is definitely hard facts relating to bill hicks on this song...

brotherlordacid
12-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Ah, yeah, for the three levels explanation:

Listen to Maynard's voice, it is layered in three (with one really dark) as far as I can hear.

Thanks, for a while I've been thinking that I was the only one to hear that there were 3 voices, it seemed to fit as the rosetta stone contained 3 languages/messages.
Your explanation goes along the same lines as what I've figured out for myself, must be something in the dutch water ;)

Furthermore, to the poster above me : Why WOULDN'T Maynard put some Hicks references in this lyric? They used to hang out and stuf, Maynard/Tool LOVED his work.

Forever In Debt
12-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Ah, yeah, for the three levels explanation:

Listen to Maynard's voice, it is layered in three (with one really dark) as far as I can hear.

I noticed this... The beginning being more quick paced and slightly darker

blair's man sausage
12-22-2006, 09:26 AM
i think this is the only tool song that is NOT about bill hicks

ThirdEyEwidEopEn
12-27-2006, 11:18 AM
"Maynard/Tool LOVED his work."

Yea how could you not the man was a modern day prophet. He shoulda been a president huh....

mr. nikki jensen
12-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Level 3: the song is about Tool fans looking for holy track orders but miss the point because the message is already quite obvious.