PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Out

Fyrestarter
06-15-2003, 03:46 PM
I recently watched a sort of obscure movie called Pi (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078401213X/qid=1055717906/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_4/104-3847300-0226363?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846) about an eccentric mathematician who is searching for a number that he perceives to be the root of all existence. Throughout the movie, he discusses how everything in the universe can be represented in a spiral pattern and uses deductive examples, from the shape of the milky way to tornadoes to sea shells to fingerprints to DNA. His hypothesis is "If we're built from spirals, while living in a giant spiral, then everything we put our hands to is infused with the spiral". His theory is further supported when he draws out these mathematical figures called 'golden rectangles' that can be traced in a spiral pattern when squared and talks about how this was discovered by Di Vinci.

I won't cover the rest of the plot or anything, because I don't want to spoil it, but I think I can safely say it's one of the best movies I've seen lately. Anyways, I'm thinking, due to the whole spiral thing, there's a good possibility that this movie may have helped inspire Lateralus, given the fact that it was released in 1998 and the members of Tool seem to enjoy flirting with the paranormal. It's definitely a movie worth checking out.