PDA

View Full Version : my "shadow" might imply

kellen
12-18-2006, 10:15 AM
i've heard other people esoterically use this term, what could it mean?

kellen
12-18-2006, 10:19 AM
i meant metaphorically when i said esoterically.

bassplayerphillip
12-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Look up Carl Jung, I believe his name is. He was a physician whose writings and theories influenced the album, and heavily influenced this particular song. "Shadow" is (pardon me for butchering this) one's inner anti-self, usually appearing in dreams. Like, if you're a relatively nice, calm, happy person, your shadow would be mean, unhappy, and very violent.

LRonHubbard
01-27-2007, 06:16 PM
maybe maynards gay......

RachJacob
04-25-2007, 09:16 AM
The "shadow" is in reference to the ego. As a nation driven by definitions we get stuck on a word that might offend our beliefs and therefore lose the meaning altogether.

ASnakeForEveryEden
05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
see my shadow changing, stretching up and over me! probably the anti-me, or the self-actualized me, or the primitive me. who knows. maynard probably just said shadow cuz it sounded cool, and let all u nerds build it up into something more substantial.

Inner_Eulogy
05-15-2007, 11:38 AM
see my shadow changing, stretching up and over me! probably the anti-me, or the self-actualized me, or the primitive me. who knows. maynard probably just said shadow cuz it sounded cool, and let all u nerds build it up into something more substantial.

Or perhaps it's the nerds like yourself that are actually that ignorant to think there's nothing more to it than that.

miketh74
07-09-2007, 08:03 PM
To me, Maynard's shadow refers to the revelation of certain knowledge reflecting his own evolution. Kinda like "I've been picking my scabs again", reflecting what you've learned through trial and error. Might be.......never know......it's Maynard's mind at work!!!!

RachJacob
07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
To me, Maynard's shadow refers to the revelation of certain knowledge reflecting his own evolution. Kinda like "I've been picking my scabs again", reflecting what you've learned through trial and error. Might be.......never know......it's Maynard's mind at work!!!!

I think this is a very good definition!

miketh74
07-14-2007, 06:24 PM
I think this is a very good definition!

Don't you wish you had just 10 minutes to chat with Maynard to see what the hell his interpretations are? Talk about revelation......wow!!

RachJacob
07-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Don't you wish you had just 10 minutes to chat with Maynard to see what the hell his interpretations are? Talk about revelation......wow!!

It poses a challenge to do it on your own; I think that is why Maynard doesn't offer descriptive explanations. What he and the band have offered is a metaphor of emotions for awakening realizations, through understanding that there is another way to look at the world. His worldview is different then yours and mine. We all have different experiences to the same concept/meaning. Leaving the interpretation open for you to eventually come to understand on your path of self-discovery, through your experiences not theirs.

miketh74
07-15-2007, 01:32 PM
It poses a challenge to do it on your own; I think that is why Maynard doesn't offer descriptive explanations. What he and the band have offered is a metaphor of emotions for awakening realizations, through understanding that there is another way to look at the world. His worldview is different then yours and mine. We all have different experiences to the same concept/meaning. Leaving the interpretation open for you to eventually come to understand on your path of self-discovery, through your experiences not theirs.

Couldn't put it any better RachJacob. Sometimes it's not always the best thing to take a song too literally. Like you said, it's Maynard's interpretation of these concepts. I find it very interesting how other people relate to this song. Considering how many people love 46 & 2, it strikes a chord with so many which shows how powerful the lyrics are. I always say Maynard has a very complex mind, hence the interpretation.

sickofitall985
11-26-2007, 03:48 PM
In relevance to picking scabs again .. im pretty sure that stands for digging up painful memories/emotions and not letting recent things go.

miketh74
11-27-2007, 07:03 AM
In relevance to picking scabs again .. im pretty sure that stands for digging up painful memories/emotions and not letting recent things go.

Most definitely.