PDA

View Full Version : an eample of dissonance?

iAMtheMA!
12-11-2006, 12:02 PM
this isn't anything too significant, but i think it'd be beneficial for others to understand why schism punches you at the end of the 2:29/2:30 riff (i.e. the main riff was designed to indicate an example of "beauty in the dissonance").

the "squaring off between" the main riff:

g----------10--9----
d--0h10h12---0---0--

c f e (g) <- "the dissonance"

g----------10--9---12---
d--0h10h12---0---0------
!

simple enough.

duncang
12-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Is it just me, or is that not how it's played?

mjkajdcjc
12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Not an example of dissonance.

An example of dissonance is the intro to "Stinkfist".

iAMtheMA!
12-11-2006, 07:27 PM
but http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Adissonance :\

and just for good measure:
!
g---------10--9-----------10--9---12---
d-0h10h12---0---0-0h10h12---0---0---0--

f e f e g
(D-c-d) D D (D-c-d) D D D
i'm no justin chancellor, but i'm fairly certain that's how to play the riff (brad over at tooltabs.net usually verifies his bass tabs through multiple live videos ...what a guy. oh, plus, i saw an early video of jc playin' it for one of the bass mags or something).

duncang
12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
That wasn't dissonance, at all.

Khastra_KSC
12-12-2006, 04:09 PM
If the scale is C-F-E then adding a G would not be dissonant. Have you ever heard of music theory.

iAMtheMA!
12-12-2006, 07:24 PM
...christ (this is frustrating).

fellas, i'm QUITE sure i know how to tune a guitar from any given pitch, i've dabbled in theory and have been practicing ear training for a good three years now, i'm also a huge fan of stravinsky, king crimson, the mars volta, et al (so i completely understand the type of dissonance you all seem to be clinging to). let's not get ahead ourselves, the letters below the tablatures i've presented (to indicate the notes used within the main riff) were NOT shown to indicate audible dissonance. i realize that i'm stretching the "popular" definition, but if you listen closely you can actually hear maynard sing of "poetry". heh, how appropriate, there seems to be an immediate example of dissonance between what you all are taking from the thread and what was actually intended. again, the punch (not the pitch). no one ever wondered why they threw in a sforzando where i've indicated (with the "!" symbol)? ...i guess that's why this thread exists.

base metal
12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
So, are you saying that the last note of the riff is dissonant because of the way that it's accented? Or, do you mean the last note is dissonant because it isn't a "resolving" note?...or both...or am i missing the point too?

iAMtheMA!
12-13-2006, 12:05 AM
i'm merely presenting the idea that this accent doesn't exactly agree with the rest of the track and just so happens to follow the lyrics "finding beauty in the dissonance" ...which seems fairly related to me. furthermore, if you were to look over a single bar of the main riff as i've coded within the first post, it'd be clear that the Dcd-f-D-e-D notes not only repeat themselves but add-on the notes g-D the second time around ...where the sforzando occurs (heh, i love that word now). so, is this a slap-in-the-face hint? maybe. why else would they play a single bar (after those specific lyrics) and define the only difference within the riff so dramatically?

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
10-31-2007, 09:52 PM
seems like a slap in the face there, well almost a year later I'm here...not in reference to guitar dissonance. I'm curious, I've yet to, but have any of you played this track backward. When Maynard sings "finding beauty in the dissonance" it sounds like 'dissonance' is said backward. Any takers?

Nine
12-27-2007, 06:40 PM
this isn't anything too significant, but i think it'd be beneficial for others to understand why schism punches you at the end of the 2:29/2:30 riff (i.e. the main riff was designed to indicate an example of "beauty in the dissonance").

the "squaring off between" the main riff:

g----------10--9----
d--0h10h12---0---0--

c f e (g) <- "the dissonance"

g----------10--9---12---
d--0h10h12---0---0------
!

simple enough.

the paradoxial nature of the universe is another good example.