PDA

View Full Version : The trinity of The Patient

Humbled
12-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Allow me to start by saying that this was the song that brought me to Tool. And I am eternally grateful.

I firmly believe that this song is about a person who seeks healing through the channel of a higher power. The song consists of dialogue between the Patient and the Healer. However, all of the conversation subsides within the own mind of the Patient, but it is often meant to be heard by the Healer.

The Patient has had progress, but he hasn't been fully removed of the infirmity. A feeling of tedium(restlessness and boredom) engulfs him, and he begins to questions why. He reclaims to the Healer that he's been faithful. He resolves that this feeling of discontent has to be a test. And he reminds himself to "Be Patient" and reject the temptation.

The Patient has fathomed the power in the past, and knows what is possible. "The loving embrace" has seen him through the tedius path of recovery and helped him get this far. Its at this point in the song where temptation peaks.

He grows impatient with the Healer and even threatens to walk away, return to the old addiction, and essentially abandon the Healer. I see this as a very brash and uncharacterisic move by the Patient, but arrogance has blinded him.

Thankfully, the Patient concedes his need for the Healer by admitting he's gonna wait it out (and be patient). The conflict repeats in the mind of the Patient, and continues to tempt him, but in the end he remains ever patient to the workings of the Healer.

Just something to think about:
Impatience was the vampire that drove the discontentment.
Patience saved him.

The title of song as The Patient has a double meaning. Conventionally it means someone needing healing. The song is about just that, healing, but the Patient himself is using patience (of time) to aid his healing. Being patient therefore becomes one of the healing processes.
The title 'The Patient' therefore can be interpreted as a plural word meaning those who wait. Or, it can be interpretted as a singular patient who needs healing. I see it as both.

Please voice your opinions of this analysis and the song.

Kotowboy
12-10-2006, 05:26 AM
I see it as when you need something - god makes you wait - no matter how much you need it - he just loves to make us wait and wait and wait. I sometimes think God actually enjoys watching us suffer.

slamminsalmon
12-10-2006, 06:26 AM
nice work. this too is one of my favorite songs. inspiring with every listen.

Metta Synth
12-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I always felt it was Maynard expressing his own spiritual journey...as he is getting older, it is natural to question the path you might have chosen, and maybe thats what he was going through when he wrote the song, the battle in his mind between satying the course or falling under temptation

...and he still may