PDA

View Full Version : "It is also a quick second language learning system"

ELBAZ
12-04-2006, 08:03 AM
"The Rosetta Stone is an archeological artifact of carved granite found in Egypt. The tablet was used as a key to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphs; its name was also used as a nom de plume for children's author Dr. Seuss. It is also a quick second language learning system. "

maybe because he forgot his pen ?

sorry if this already been written

DrJones
12-04-2006, 01:56 PM
I personally think this song is a satire of deadhead stoners (no offense to you deadhead stoners!) and their loss of a grip on parts reality and entertaining conspiracies. It seems to be a story of one such person, who sees E.T. and is told the ending of humanity. He considers this to be a great honor. The irony is that he's the only one who now knows this, but because of his drug use won't and can't remember what the message is and to top it all off, he forgot his pen to write it all down!

However, I do wonder at the title and how it fits with the song in general. To add to the definition/explanation of the Rosetta Stone: The writings on the tablet were decrees written to the population in order to maintain support for the dynasty in power at the time. Thank you Wikipedia! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_stone)

I haven't really thought much more about this. Hope this discussion continues!

peace

Inner_Eulogy
12-06-2006, 10:53 AM
I personally think this song is a satire of deadhead stoners (no offense to you deadhead stoners!) and their loss of a grip on parts reality and entertaining conspiracies. It seems to be a story of one such person, who sees E.T. and is told the ending of humanity. He considers this to be a great honor. The irony is that he's the only one who now knows this, but because of his drug use won't and can't remember what the message is and to top it all off, he forgot his pen to write it all down!

However, I do wonder at the title and how it fits with the song in general. To add to the definition/explanation of the Rosetta Stone: The writings on the tablet were decrees written to the population in order to maintain support for the dynasty in power at the time. Thank you Wikipedia! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_stone)

I haven't really thought much more about this. Hope this discussion continues!

peace

Well said, and agreed. I can't help but wonder if there's still a code to crack with this song as you were mentioning how the "Rosetta Stone" portion fits in relation. Tool always loves to create riddles for ones who choose to "dig deeper" within their music. The fact that the song is homage to the Rosetta Stone and the multiple odd time signatures makes me think there's something more there to figure out. Like in Jambi somebody mentioned something about morse code within the beat. Who knows...<shrug>

DrJones
12-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Like in Jambi somebody mentioned something about morse code within the beat. Who knows...<shrug>

I think the morse code in Jambi is just before the talk-box solo. The rhythm appearantly writes out 3, 2, 1 twice. Not sure if there is any significance or just a cool thing they do, but I think it's cool.

ELBAZ
12-11-2006, 01:35 AM
i don't think all the song is cynical,
especialy the "overwalmed part" ,
maybe this is the way maynard feels when he singes to this sort of crowd...