PDA

View Full Version : From out of nowhere

Tantobourne
06-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Damn, I love songs that you can listen to over and over again and then finally, one day, something pops out at you that didn't strike you before:
The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
And the circling is worth it.
Finding beauty in the dissonance.
Not that there's worth trying to explain why it's so flipping cool, it's just that the way Keenan sang it and the impact of the words didn't strike me until now.

It can't be said enough, Tool has got their shit going on.

revolver_7
06-10-2003, 07:49 PM
i totally agree with you this has happened to me before numerous times

for Ænema
for the grudge right when it gets all rocking and shit

for 46&2 right at the climax See my shadow changing, Stretching up and over me. Soften this old armor. Hoping I can clear the way By stepping through my shadow, Coming out the other side. Step into the shadow. Forty six and two are just ahead of me

basically for almost every single TOOL song i feel a very strong emotion and realize that Tool is the most kick ass band ever...

brian c
06-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by revolver_7
basically for almost every single TOOL song i feel a very strong emotion and realize that Tool is the most kick ass band ever...

I totally agree man. Every time I listen to them i just can't stop thinking about how awsome they are. And as soon as the climax of the song hits (one of my favorites is the part in third eye right after "smoke and reason" and the soft quiet guitar followed by the solo part) i just have so many mixed emotions running through my head. btw, Tool is definetly the most kick ass band ever.

Brian

eyemaware
06-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Yeah, happens often to me. I was actually just struck by what Tant quoted... makes heaps of sense in regards to recent events in my life. The beauty results in glissening clarity.
Aenima is still one of my all time favourite albums, so visual and relevant.

Windir
06-13-2003, 07:39 PM
I got the same thing with a line from "Pushit"

Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear.

This has so much truth in it, so much power.

If someone ask you this, I mean, dude, how much convidence does someone have to ask this?!

Speaks for itself...

Yep, or else!

That's about the most coolest thing i've heard...!

With other words, this part speaks to me alot, it says something about our human beings, we are the ones who make this possible, helping each other, reaching out, trusting...

*Oh well, all crap!*

Tantobourne
06-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Damnit...it's like the first part of my "oh shit" post was just that, a first part *grins*

So I'm listening to the song again and the same lyrics, of course, come back to me since they're on the forefront of my mind while listening to the song, now.

Imagine the song like a bunch of colliding ripples in a pond, each one converging into the other like each member of the group playing their separate instruments...a sort of...dissonance.

The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
And the circling is worth it.

I'm not implying that there is a direct connection with the concept of squaring and four corners...it's just amusing that he penned the lyrics in such a way.

They play together, squaring off, and in the dissonance of those ripples on that pond, the resulting 'whole' is poetic: is art, is music.

Their resonance together, ripples into ripples has its obvious value...to them...to us that care to lsiten to their music...

And like those ripples, clouding the image of the pond bed below, for a brief moment (like in the middle of the song) the water stills where all ripples meet, cancelling each other out and for that passing moment we can see the bottom:

Finding beauty in the dissonance.

Before the dissonance of the squaring off, the poetry, again ripples over and we're pulled back into the rest of the song.

Yeah, sure, Keenan probably didn't mean it that way but it comes across so fucking well.

*tip-o-the-hat*

Think about that while blazed.....

reedc33
06-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Tantobourne

Think about that while blazed.....

I just might...

reedc33
06-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Mmm, goes nice with a Glenlivet French Oak 12 year old...

Nice imagery..

Tantobourne
06-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by reedc33
Mmm, goes nice with a Glenlivet French Oak 12 year old...

Nice imagery..

*laughs* hey now, no fair. I haven't had a chance to get lit and think about it. I've got a week off at the end of the month, I'm hoping some natural falls into my hands for the weekend. If so, I'll be thinking about that and a lot more...