PDA

View Full Version : Champ at the devil with my song

Omnimalice
11-27-2006, 12:17 AM
champ1  /tʃæmp, tʃɒmp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[champ, chomp] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1. to bite upon or grind, esp. impatiently: The horses champed the oats.
2. to crush with the teeth and chew vigorously or noisily; munch.
3. to mash; crush.
–verb (used without object)
4. to make vigorous chewing or biting movements with the jaws and teeth.
–noun
5. the act of champing.
—Idiom
6. champ at the bit, to betray impatience, as to begin some action.
Also, chomp.

Done in one.
Save Next.

Omnimalice
11-27-2006, 12:23 AM
In addition..

Prayed like a martyr
Begged like a hooker

Hah, and of course I missed the 'ed' in champed in the title of the thread AND editing the post didn't correct the thread name... classic.

jnick3810
12-18-2006, 02:30 AM
sounds to me like he is saying tempted the devil
thats what ive always thought it was anyway

Inner_Eulogy
12-26-2006, 10:33 AM
champ1  /tʃæmp, tʃɒmp/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[champ, chomp] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1. to bite upon or grind, esp. impatiently: The horses champed the oats.
2. to crush with the teeth and chew vigorously or noisily; munch.
3. to mash; crush.
–verb (used without object)
4. to make vigorous chewing or biting movements with the jaws and teeth.
–noun
5. the act of champing.
—Idiom
6. champ at the bit, to betray impatience, as to begin some action.
Also, chomp.

Done in one.
Save Next.

It's great that you took the time to look up this utterly irrelevant info and all but uh, it's not "champ to the devil"

paraflux
12-26-2006, 10:40 AM
"champ to the devil" is not what he is saying he hears.

Inner_Eulogy
12-27-2006, 10:36 AM
"champ to the devil" is not what he is saying he hears.

Well, he didn't really specify if it was an opinion of what he hears or just stating the mundane anyway. So, how would you know if that's "not" what he was saying if he didn't state one way or another.

maggie72
01-02-2007, 06:21 PM
"Shout to the devil with my song
and got what I wanted all along"

Inner_Eulogy
01-03-2007, 10:49 AM
"Shout to the devil with my song
and got what I wanted all along"

Thank you

Omnimalice
01-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Where have Tool posted the official lyrics?

Inner_Eulogy
01-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Where have Tool posted the official lyrics?

They haven't but, it's clearly not "champ at the devil". Linguistically and logically. I used to think it was "tempted the devil" but after seeig someone mention "shout at the devil" I clearly heard it the following listen. You should try going to www.distortiononline.com and they have live recordings of the song...listen to that one if you don't believe me.

Omnimalice
01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Actually I had suggested that it was champed at the devil, past-tense to go along with the rest. I'll check out that site and see if I can hear anything else. Thank you.

Omnimalice
01-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Listened. Well if I had to choose between "champed at" and "shout to" I'd go with "shout to". I guess that's all I can say at this time. Hopefully they will post the lyrics some time before I die.

Inner_Eulogy
01-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Listened. Well if I had to choose between "champed at" and "shout to" I'd go with "shout to". I guess that's all I can say at this time. Hopefully they will post the lyrics some time before I die.

Glad to know you know see things my way....j/k, lol. I'm glad it helped.

the muffin man
01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
this songs sets the lyrical premise for the rest of the album, being maynards apparent newfound faith in god, unless he has always been religious, in which case i am 100% wrong, but if he was "reborn", then i am truly let down, and 100% right. groundbreaking bands such as tool are in one way or another fading into the back ground of normalcy through things such as this. this is not the same man from any previous album.i am no radio fan, no god fearing christian, and no conservative bastard.

notregistered
01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
I could go on and on about "Maynard's apparent newfound faith in god" but I could just link you here.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=67969

Inner_Eulogy
01-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Both of you are idiots. Maynard is NOT, and NEVER WAS a Christian, NOR IS HE RELIGIOUS!! He HAS NOT been reborn. It's people like you that should be strapped down in a bed getting CAT scans on your improperly functioning brains. Maynard is obviously a spiritual human being and believes in A higher power but, is not devout of ANY PARTICULAR FAITH!! If Maynard said, I've seen the swine over my head...some idiot like you would actually find a way to turn it around and truly believe that pigs can fucking fly....oh my god. Your kind should all be left on one little island all by yourselves.

maggie72
01-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I know I'm contradicting myself, but give this a listen (http://media.putfile.com/Jambi-sample). Listen to in over and over a few times.

I'm positive it's:

"Tempted the devil with my song"

and just for the record, its:

"Prayed like a martyr dusk to dawn,
Beg like a hooker all night long"

Inner_Eulogy
01-10-2007, 10:57 AM
I know I'm contradicting myself, but give this a listen (http://media.putfile.com/Jambi-sample). Listen to in over and over a few times.

I'm positive it's:

"Tempted the devil with my song"

and just for the record, its:

"Prayed like a martyr dusk to dawn,
Beg like a hooker all night long"

You very well could be right that it's tempted and not shout. Thats what I originally thought it was. And just for the record: that line doesn;t in any way, shape or form mean that Maynard has been reborn or is religious. I'm quite sure he's speaking metphorically. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. And even though I think the song is about his son, that line almost sounds like it's about his mother, he may have had a moment where he broke down and went against his own beliefs and prayed and begged for her life to be in a better place.

notregistered
01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Both of you are idiots. Maynard is NOT, and NEVER WAS a Christian, NOR IS HE RELIGIOUS!! He HAS NOT been reborn. It's people like you that should be strapped down in a bed getting CAT scans on your improperly functioning brains. Maynard is obviously a spiritual human being and believes in A higher power but, is not devout of ANY PARTICULAR FAITH!! If Maynard said, I've seen the swine over my head...some idiot like you would actually find a way to turn it around and truly believe that pigs can fucking fly....oh my god. Your kind should all be left on one little island all by yourselves.

You're not refering to me as an idiot, are you? Because if you looked at that topic you'd see I was defended the fact that Maynard isn't any sort of Christian. Also, you're mistaken in saying maynard was NEVER religious. He was a bapist when he was very young, before he started seeing the hypocracy of people in the chruch firsthand.

Inner_Eulogy
01-11-2007, 06:39 AM
You're not refering to me as an idiot, are you? Because if you looked at that topic you'd see I was defended the fact that Maynard isn't any sort of Christian. Also, you're mistaken in saying maynard was NEVER religious. He was a bapist when he was very young, before he started seeing the hypocracy of people in the chruch firsthand.

Yeah what, when he was 5 and had no choice? I know he was raised in a Southern Baptist family. THAT STILL DOESN"T MAKE SOMEONE RELIGOUS JUNIOR!!!

maggie72
01-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Maynard is very spiritual. He's just not into organized religion.

"repugnant is a creature, who would squander the ability,
to lift an eye heaven, conscious of our fleeting time here..."

hobblegobble
01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Yes because we all know him like a friggin brother right???

maggie72
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Yes because we all know him like a friggin brother right???

I don't have to know him like a brother to understand his lyrics or be able to comprehend his interviews.

You should really learn to think before you speak/type. Or at least know what your talking about before you do.

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Suck it Maggiepoo. I think you should think before you "speak/type". Moron's like you don't feel satisfied until you pick at every word out of Maynard's mouth or on every fucking album until it makes sense to you, and if it doesn't then it's just not good enough. You suck at every word he says like a leech. Don't be pissed because you're a fucking groupie dude......

Snuggleboo
01-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Oooooo Maynard is very spiritual sounds like a bunch or horse manuer to me

maggie72
01-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Suck it Maggiepoo. I think you should think before you "speak/type". Moron's like you don't feel satisfied until you pick at every word out of Maynard's mouth or on every fucking album until it makes sense to you, and if it doesn't then it's just not good enough. You suck at every word he says like a leech. Don't be pissed because you're a fucking groupie dude......

Just the intelligent, intellectual reply I was expecting from someone like you.

If you don't agree with my theory, then tell me why you don't. Don't just bash me because you don't understand. I hope all your posts weren't as irrelavent as these past two.

I thought that all Tool fans knew that his songs had a spiritual tone about them. Are you one of those people who has just become a fan in like the past two years?

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 09:19 AM
hahahahahaha..first of all...i'm not bashing you..i'm trying to get everyone here to take the stick out of their asses. Second of all...just because i'm not so god damn serious about everything here doesn't mean "i just became a tool fan in the past two years" because that would make me less of a person than you anyway right? I'm sorry everything here has to be "intelligent and INTELLECTUAL" ....whoopty fucking doo.....

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Plus Maggiepoo...you should watch your mouth...you never know who you're talking to.....

lateralus15
01-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I think its "Said to the devil with my song" as in his words were said/told to the devil through singing

Snuggleboo
01-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Hmmm, perhaps some people need to get out more LOL

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 09:50 AM
for the last friggin time it's "tempted"

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I think it's "crampted the devil with my song" I think he had cramps when he was writing the song.......
hardy har

Snuggleboo
01-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Oh puhleaseeee he didnt talk to no devil! wake up bro.

maggie72
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Plus Maggiepoo...you should watch your mouth...you never know who you're talking to.....

Enlighten me then. This is an OPINION forum. I gave my opinion just like everyone else does. Do you bash everyone in these forums? I like the nickname, so original. How old are you 13?

Snuggleboo
01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Age doesnt matter my dear, and it you cant take the bashing then you know where you can go.

maggie72
01-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Age doesnt matter my dear, and it you cant take the bashing then you know where you can go.

He can bash all he wants, but he could atleast have something intelligent to say instead of a bunch of bullshit. What I'm trying to say again is this is an OPINION forum, are we not all entitled to our opinion?

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Maggiepoo, I'm just trying to be your friend. Don't be so anal. It looks like you need to loosen up. Take a chill pill or something? I'm also entitled to my opinion and my opinion is you have a stick up your ass. By the way, age is of no relevance here. So stop bringing up my age to console the fact that you need to take a shit or something.

maggie72
01-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion

Maggiepoo out.

Hey hobblegobble, let's hold hands [reaches out for an embrace]

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 12:38 PM
you mean you're leaving me? but it was so much fun....

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
that's okay..I thought we were friends buuuut....I guess not

maggie72
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
i miss you already...

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
yeah I know...I miss myself too...but that's okay...go on...go live your life...

maggie72
01-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Life might not be the same without an idiot to argue with, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Now let me go champ at the devil ok?

hobblegobble
01-12-2007, 01:04 PM
No, please just cramp at him....or you can lamp at him...either way...bye...i'm sure i'll find another post of yours to start harassing you on...muahahaha