PDA

View Full Version : Giving Up

ManInBlack
06-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Some say the speaker in reflection pulls himself out of his hole, but I don't think so. The last few lines are more of a warning to anyone else who it isn't too late for.

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away."

reign3
06-10-2003, 05:24 PM
I'd have to disagree. When he says,

"And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Bringing out our hope and reason ... "

It sounds as if he has gotten out of the hole. Otherwise, how would he have this knowledge? I think it is a warning though. A warning probably because he was almost too late, or knows what it is like to be there.

All-One-Mind
12-24-2003, 02:04 AM
I don't really think there is a too late. It's more of of warning that you will continually die and be reincarnated until you crucify that ego.

Anon
03-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Some say the speaker in reflection pulls himself out of his hole, but I don't think so. The last few lines are more of a warning to anyone else who it isn't too late for.

"So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away."

I disagree. I think what Maynard means here is that in order to become better people - "to leave this place behind" - we must try to rid ourself of ego and not just be wrapped up in ourselfs all the time. Allthough we cannot completely leave our egos behind (it is possibly better we do not destroy it completely), if we banish it even slightly, we can become better. I think the whole meaning of "Reflection" and much of Lateralus is of learning from mistakes and trying to improve ourselves.