PDA

View Full Version : Whoa...just how long ago was this song conceived?

14thDosage
11-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Found some really weird shit today. I was listening to this live recording of the Lateralus tour in 2001 that I've had on my computer for about 2-3 years. Anyway, it gets towards the very end, and the band is about to play Lateralus. But before they do, they play the beginning part of Wings for Marie! There's no lyrics, but the instrumentals are *exactly* the same. Does anyone remember hearing this on the tour, ever? Also, I'm pretty amazed that they came up with this song 5 years ago and just released it this year >< who knows how much other material they have written up.

Edit And yeah Im just talking about the instrumental part, obviously not the lyrics. It makes me wonder about Tool's creative processes though if the actual instrumental part of the song was written before Maynard's mom died.

Lysander
11-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah, a lot of people have commented on that, they played it quite a few times just before Lateralus. (There's also the slam sound at the end and throughout 10KDays.) Good to konw that you're paying attention, thoguh. :)

14thDosage
11-20-2006, 08:22 PM
:(

Dammit I haven't checked this site in a while I was hoping this was a new development.

opiated
11-24-2006, 11:03 AM
The music probably is five years old but the lyrics are only about two at the maximum.

In this case, the music came before the lyrics.

hushypushy
11-24-2006, 10:24 PM
And there are different variations, too. If you check out the version that's in the mix that's linked to in my signature (phew that's long), they just play the intro riff and do the "slam" sound. Other versions are longer and include more riffs.

Makes you wonder what songs from this tour are gonna turn into songs one day ;)

PhilTheVoid
02-22-2007, 12:22 AM
The music probably is five years old but the lyrics are only about two at the maximum.

In this case, the music came before the lyrics.

as it always does

wearethestories
02-22-2007, 05:18 AM
as it always does

at least with TOOL

SMEPman
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Yep I hear the same thing. I dl a show from Denver back in 2002 and while Maynard is giving one of his "pep talks" and Adam is playing the melody to WFM. And yea it was right before they closed with Lateralus.

Spaceman Spiff
02-28-2007, 07:10 PM
...who knows how much other material they have written up...

Or, how little they bothered to write.

Aneurias
08-17-2007, 06:27 AM
I've read in several places that tools music is written before the singer puts his lyrics on it. Noone addressed that issue in this thread, though it was in your original post. It should be pretty obvious I suppose if wings was written that long ago.

Angel on the Sideline
08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
I've heard the Wings for Marie thing as well as some seeds of other songs. On this tour, I'm willing to bet some of what Adam or Maynard played on the keyboard between songs is the beginning of something we'll be hearing on the next album.