PDA

View Full Version : BAH, stolen riff...

RedMetalSox
11-19-2006, 05:01 PM
i don't think anyone has brought this up, but tool totally stole the first 13 seconds of "Jack the Stripper/Fairies wear boots" - black sabbath, and made a whole intro out of it. those fucks!

dawn
11-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Holy shit. I haven't so much as thought about that song years.

"I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes"

"He said son, son, you've gone too far
cause smokin and trippin is all that you do"

That song kicks so much ass. I'm getting my hands on it now. I'll have to check them out together. I'll try to make an effort to (dis)agree with you later...

Also, I don't think bands like Tool 'rip off' bands like Black Sabbath...

flawlessme
11-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Not stolen by any means. They sound nothing like each other. Just that they have a smiliar feel to them. The way the notes are pronounced I mean.

Jimmeny
11-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Aye, you're right, it's not stolen from Sabbath; it's stolen from Discipline by King Crimson

dawn
11-20-2006, 06:52 AM
*disagrees later*

Although...this thread has inspired me. I think I'm going to get some Sabbath today...

TJP
11-20-2006, 11:41 AM
its not as bad as the Lateralus intro ripping off that rush riff i cant remember what the song is called right now but it IS the same riff.

opiated
11-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Geeze. What are you going to bitch about next?

Well, rumor has it that some lines from Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold" are in "Crawl Away," so, have at it kiddies.

Better not forget Jimmy Page ripping off riffs in "Dazed and Confused." Better stop by at a few Led Zep boards and bitch about that too, while you're at it.

Get over it.

Confield
11-20-2006, 01:31 PM
its not as bad as the Lateralus intro ripping off that rush riff i cant remember what the song is called right now but it IS the same riff.

If you don't believe it, see for yourself. About 1 minute in you hear the Lateralus riff, but listen to the whole thing and feel the disappointment set in. At least Lateralus is 1000x better than Test For Echo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luCgo2Kbkho

opiated
11-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I really don't care. The music is great so why be so damned cynical?

That's why I usually don't respond to threads like these. Enjoy the music and quit trying to dissect every little part of a song all of the fucking time. Jesus. Let the art breathe for a minute, if not longer.

El Shaggy
11-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Better not forget Jimmy Page ripping off riffs in "Dazed and Confused." Better stop by at a few Led Zep boards and bitch about that too, while you're at it.
And "When the Levee Breaks" was downright stolen from Kansas Joe KcCoy and Memphis Minnie. Page and Plant ruined black american blues artists. Though it's one badass tune.

Jimmeny
11-20-2006, 05:06 PM
When The Levee Breaks was never claimed as a Led Zep tune though was it? I mean, it's like Jimi Hendrix and Hey Joe. Anyone passively interested in music would assume that's a Jimi Hendrix original, but Jimi Hendrix didnt claim it as his own, he just MADE it his own, in the same way Led Zep did with When The Levee Breaks.

littlejason
11-20-2006, 05:37 PM
There's also the 3 or 4 notes at the end of Parabola that are taken straight out of the middle of 'Roundabout' by Yes. So what? They all fit together great. I dobut it's "stolen" though, creative freedom and all that. The songs are still good, and they're not copying complete songs, so big deal. Be happy you get to hear the good riff again.

RedMetalSox
11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
alight its not stolen, i just heard jack the stripper and it reminded me of it...black sabbath pwns.

imatoolhed
11-21-2006, 06:06 PM
*disagrees later*

Although...this thread has inspired me. I think I'm going to get some Sabbath today...

atta girl

mike09
11-21-2006, 11:48 PM
If you don't believe it, see for yourself. About 1 minute in you hear the Lateralus riff, but listen to the whole thing and feel the disappointment set in. At least Lateralus is 1000x better than Test For Echo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luCgo2Kbkho

It's a pretty simple little riff in Lateralus so there's no doubt to me that there are plenty of songs that will have riffs that are similar to it. The riff in Test For Echo is similar, but it's not the same and I can easily point out which is which if you had me listen to both back to back.