PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout that bit of gibberish....

vedran
11-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I posted this in a different thread about nonsense lyrics, but it was completely out of place. Anyway, you guys know that part where maynard says that little piece of bunkum right in the middle of the song real quietly? Yeah, that one. I guess if you're staring at the screen in confusion (though I'll bet all of you have heard it), it's that bit right before he starts going on about the ground around him being shrouded. It's at around 7:50 into the track and it souns like he says "Hmm-shkaba-shkaba-shka". First time I heard it I thought it was hilarious, made me think of some kind of fucked up version of "blah-di-blah" or something. Right, just thought I'd ask for thoughts or opinions.....go forum, go...

mjkajdcjc
11-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Bunkum...

Funny word IMO...

benpink
11-19-2006, 05:50 PM
so i was listening to this song over the weekend (while deer hunting :-) and this part sorta made sense... not line by line, but with the rest of the song at least.

from what I know the third eye is something one uses to see themselves outside themselves, like a separate observer... like a form of self reflection (in a nutshell??)

so the lyrics leading up to the first time maynard sings...

"So good to see you.
I've missed you so much.
So glad it's over.
I've missed you so much
Came out to watch you play.
Why are you running?"

...are his attempts to facilitate his third eye. this verse seems to say that he's almost there. he has had a vision of himself outside himself. But then that vision manages to elude him...thus "came out to watch you play, why are u running away?"

so then he goes into his talking thing, sounding somewhat dissapointed, but is willing to try again. at this point it starts working...

".... I do not recognize the vessel,
But the eyes seem so familiar.
Like phosphorescent desert buttons
Singing one familiar song...

this is where it gets interesting. when we says he doesn't recognize (his body) but the eyes seem familar, he is seeing himself, but isn't aware of it yet. then what he sees starts singing a familiar song...

"So good to see you.
I've missed you so much.
So glad it's over.
I've missed you so much.
Came out to watch you play.
Why are you running away?"

...this is the same 'song' Maynard sang while trying to facilitate his third eye being sung back at him. now, if you'll notice, the vocals sound different than before. the sound is bigger and from a different perspective. this is maynard seeing himself outside of himself. great success...high five...

the rest of the song is sorta self-explanatory...I understand it as him continuing to communicate with himself as if it were two people...the ultimate form of self-reflection.

if this is really what maynard was getting at, kudos, because it not only ties the song together logically, but bringing the "so good to see u" part back stronger and thicker really does a lot for the structure and dynamics of the song. thanks, ben

resonance.
11-19-2006, 05:54 PM
thud thud thud thud thud thud thud..... let me out...