PDA

View Full Version : Tool's first #1 single

Metalgod666
11-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Yes this week "The Pot" has topped the US Mainstream rock charts...

your thoughts?

mjkajdcjc
11-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Not surprised.

These guys span their albums out over 3-5 years, so that their fans will jump all over the new stuff and buy it up fast.

This song and "Vicarious" are the most accessible songs from a very challenging album, so I'm not surprised that THIS song got to No. 1, especially when my 45 year old mother runs around the house singing, "You must have been HHHIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHH!!!"

InsolentBystander
11-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Not surprised.

These guys span their albums out over 3-5 years, so that their fans will jump all over the new stuff and buy it up fast.

This song and "Vicarious" are the most accessible songs from a very challenging album, so I'm not surprised that THIS song got to No. 1, especially when my 45 year old mother runs around the house singing, "You must have been HHHIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHH!!!"

Lol. My mother's into some of the other stuff I listen to (NIN, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, etc.) but I can't get her to appreciate Tool.

I'm actually quite surprised "The Pot" got to number one.

mr. nikki jensen
11-18-2006, 07:05 AM
nice work tool.

now....

give me a vicarious video. thanks

-nj

Hannibal
11-19-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm actually quite shocked, because I consdered Vicarious a more accessible single than The Pot. Either way...it's still pretty bitchin for them to take number 1.

rogerdoger
11-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Cool, I think The Pot is probably the easiest song to get into IMO, for one it's in 4:4, and it's a much catchier song than most of their stuff.

notregistered
11-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I almost wish it wasn't as accessible or catchy. All of the reviews for the album before it came out said that it was probably the catchiest song tool has ever made. I hope a lot of people don't get into the band for that one song.

arcane
11-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm happy for them. I think they deserve to be rewarded for their hard work. When old fans get pissed off about 'new' fans, it's only the former who'll lose out. I try to get more people to get into Tool whenever I can. They have talent that needs to be shared - sure, not everyone will truly understand their genius, and those that are there just for the trend, will miss out on everything else Tool have to offer.

El Shaggy
11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
The end is near! oh yea and Tool is scrapping all the work on the vicarious video and now shooting a video for "The Pot". Please allow at least 6 months for news on a possible release date for the video.

SpiralReflection
11-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Lateralus: better album
XMDays: better singles (for radio)

CrownOfNegativity
11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Good for them. Maybe more people will give their music a chance.

hushypushy
11-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Ha! Cool. I wonder what Maynard thinks about all this.

And if there is gonna be a video for this...

mjkajdcjc
11-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Cool, I think The Pot is probably the easiest song to get into IMO, for one it's in 4:4, and it's a much catchier song than most of their stuff.

That's a good point. But "Schism" and "Vicarious" were their biggest songs, and those guys change time signatures practically every second.

EssnayRepXTamEt
11-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Which chart exactly did they top?

mjkajdcjc
11-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Which chart exactly did they top?

WOW!!!

Not the gay ass computer game either....

morethanmusic
11-25-2006, 10:07 PM
cool

Metalgod666
11-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Supposedly they have the top spot again this week (according to echoingthesound.org's forums) but Billboard hasn't updated yet so I can't confirm it.

Chronicle0
12-04-2006, 08:52 AM
yo tonight's the billboard award show[on fox?]. someone watch it and post if Tool won anything.

Pablo
12-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Question from the UK - Does that mean they have sent out a promo CD to Radio / Press / Colleges etc... in order for it to achieve this or can songs get there off album play?

Metta Synth
12-09-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm happy for them. I think they deserve to be rewarded for their hard work. When old fans get pissed off about 'new' fans, it's only the former who'll lose out. I try to get more people to get into Tool whenever I can. They have talent that needs to be shared - sure, not everyone will truly understand their genius, and those that are there just for the trend, will miss out on everything else Tool have to offer.

I agree about the old fans getting pissed off....you see that alot with die hard fans of almost anything, music, art, etc. whatever, it's almost as if the "old" die hard fans feel like they in a way possess the music they love so much, and anyone elese that catches on later isn't worthy...

But regardless, good for Tool getting a #1 hit, and who cares if its the catchiest song they ever wrote or that maybe some people are only here for the trend...it's still a badass song compared to everything else on the rock charts...it definetely gives me a little more faith for the music idustry knowing that Tool is on top right now

BlanketEffect
12-09-2006, 12:57 PM
I almost wish it wasn't as accessible or catchy. All of the reviews for the album before it came out said that it was probably the catchiest song tool has ever made. I hope a lot of people don't get into the band for that one song.

Fuck that. Either they'll grow into liking Tool for deeper reasons thereafter or they'll let the CD gather dust once the catchiness has worn away. In the case of the latter the guys in the band will have already gotten the money and thus be incited to record yet more music.

A Tool CD purchased cannot be a bad thing, regardless of the outcome, in my opinion.

Harrymanfeet
12-09-2006, 04:48 PM
altho I'm VERY happy for them I think the only time the words single and tool should be in the same sentence is an infomercial selling all in one socket wrenches but b4 ppl get offended I just must say I love TOOL they're my fav. band and have put out some amazing pieces of art I, however, am not happy with "The Pot" I don't really like the song...srry...

macfreak
12-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Maynard said on the last interview something about being disconnected with their fans like they don´t have anything in common anymore and i think this is because the huge popularity Tool has in these days and the amount of new fans coming into Tool who doesnt quite get it, they are so worried about what others think of Tool about how many others listen to Tool about respect sales etc..This band is about ur own experience and what it makes u feel

tbrent21
12-17-2006, 07:22 PM
For anyone wondering, I think the most recent news on the Billboard ranking is that The Pot was at #1 for four weeks and just dropped to #2.

Congratulations to TOOL!!

Ænimic4six1
12-18-2006, 04:48 AM
after 4 albums and an EP and now they get their break when they're all near mid-40s...haha those kiddies are gonna get shocked to know that the band thats playing this brilliant music aint their usual indie haired emo-thinking fashionable dressing band...

CONGRATS TO TOOL!!!

DON IOTAE
12-18-2006, 05:00 AM
Yes this week "The Pot" has topped the US Mainstream rock charts...

your thoughts?

where's teh Vicarious video?

LOL

BlanketEffect
12-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Iota... I just noticed the motion in your display image... After having looked at it for nearly a month (or more) *chuckles* Sometimes I'm so unobservant.

SpiralReflection
12-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Maynard said on the last interview something about being disconnected with their fans like they don´t have anything in common anymore and i think this is because the huge popularity Tool has in these days and the amount of new fans coming into Tool who doesnt quite get it, they are so worried about what others think of Tool about how many others listen to Tool about respect sales etc..This band is about ur own experience and what it makes u feel

Don't record sales indicate a decrease in popularity?

Ænima certified triple platinum, Lateralus is right around 2.3 million give or take, and XMDays is pulling in 10k a week at 1.3 million. I don't see any great surge in XMDays' sales, before too long it will probably fall off the Billboard 200 and it may be years before it reaches double platinum.

Judging by the reviews and general luke-warm reception of XMDays, I don't think it's going to make people rush out and buy Lateralus or Ænima. Lateralus probably helped Ænima push past that 3 million mark.

Tool has been "popular" for a while now, it's not an overnight thing or a jump from underground to mainstream.

Lebowski Urban Achiever
12-21-2006, 10:46 AM
nice work tool.

now....

give me a vicarious video. thanks

-nj

Haha. I agree! I'm getting impatient/anxious...

pork chops
12-21-2006, 10:57 AM
it's sad to me that of all the good music that tool has put out over the years, their most nauseating song ever tops the charts. this disappoints me as a music fan and as a tool fan.

BlanketEffect
12-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Is it any surprise that the catchiest, most 'grooving' (in the commercial sense, that is) song they've ever released was their best received by mainstream consumers?

Pull your head out and give a listen. What's the fucking shock here?

Frankly, as soon as I heard the leaked album from the net I was shocked to hear that Vicarious was the single and not The Pot.

flipmojo
12-28-2006, 04:13 PM
If you are just getting into Tool, here's a heads up... THEY DON'T GEAR SUCCESS TOWARDS RECORD SALES AND SINGLE POPULARITY. They leave that to all the tools on MTV making music.

BlanketEffect
12-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah, but trust me, when they write a good song that happens to be very catchy, they don't just sit there and say, "We need to make this more artful and get rid of that catchiness that it has."

So what if some of their songs are catchy? Good. And, 'The Pot' is by far and away the catchiest song they've ever recorded/released. It's no surprise that it is their first #1 single.

DON IOTAE
12-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Iota... I just noticed the motion in your display image... After having looked at it for nearly a month (or more) *chuckles* Sometimes I'm so unobservant.

;)

it's sad to me that of all the good music that tool has put out over the years, their most nauseating song ever tops the charts. this disappoints me as a music fan and as a tool fan.

i say the situation is deserving and meritory.

ChipperJones
12-29-2006, 05:48 AM
The best song on the album is also the catchiest, and it's a number one single. That's pretty damn cool. I hear this song on the radio, and I say FUCK yes.

ToolKlouD
02-06-2007, 07:34 PM
can you say next led zepplin/pinkfloyd?

DON IOTAE
02-07-2007, 06:50 AM
no...

Inbleach
02-07-2007, 05:43 PM
can you say next led zepplin/pinkfloyd?

I can say Tool will be inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame in about 10 more years....

Divine_left
02-07-2007, 08:32 PM
It's probably ironic on some level. somewhere.

BlanketEffect
02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I would agree that they are the Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin of our day. Plus 20 years of rock and roll evolution and progressive thought.

Hall of famers for sure.

DON IOTAE
02-08-2007, 08:30 AM
meh

isthesystemdown
02-15-2007, 12:06 PM
actually, when i heard vicarious I knew it would be the next big single. I heard it at a friend's place and was totally amazed the first time through. I would say this is a big contrast from schism which i absolutely hated until about 100 listens.