PDA

View Full Version : Jesus H. Christ

Fink
11-27-2002, 07:57 AM
Once I read about Devo H. Keenan, "Jesus H. Christ" popped into my head (The H stands for Herman for those who don't know). Perhaps this song relates to MJK's religious revelations. I believe he was raised Baptist, and was probably taught to have lots of guilt and shame, and maybe he never got rid of it all. Then again, I'm probably completely wrong, but I just thought I'd add this in. After all, who but MJK would give their kid the middle name "H."?

manifestcontent
12-02-2002, 07:19 AM
So if Herman is Devo's middle name then what is Jesus's middle name? Hubertus? eh? eh?
But yes i would have to agree with you. maybe maynard does have a lot of left over guilt from his babtist days. to me the song is like two sides of yourself arguing, like the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. so i can see how his guilt would fit into that perspective.

scorpioali
12-05-2002, 02:25 PM
well, maynard's middle name is herbert...i don't know. perhaps you can elaborate more on that theory because i'm not exactly convinced.

2L8665
12-19-2002, 06:23 PM
This is a question for Fink. Is "Herman" the middle name for DevoH, or is it the middle name for J.C.? If this is DHK's middle name, can you please provide the reference; I'd like to know who their reference is. Thanks

2L8665
12-20-2002, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah, Fink. You're on the right path. Here's a few tips:

Divinity is found within the Heart.
Devotion, we decide with our Head.
Devolution we trade by the Hand.

This creates True Humanity.
(Then again it could stand for "Haploid")
Or it could stand for Hon..
Or it just might stand for ha...
Spread Yourself To Collect Yourself.

lateralus1213
12-21-2002, 03:31 PM
So as to not cause any confusion, "Jesus H. Christ" is a modern day expression. Jesus' middle name did not actually begin with H. It isnt even known if he had one. Please do not let this expression lead you to the wrong idea

2L8665
12-22-2002, 03:38 PM
If it is not known that he even had a middle name, then how would YOU know that it DID NOT start with an "H". To my understanding, it started with a "T" which stood for Tiberius and the "H" was probably taken from the Greek epigram for Christ's name, IHS or IHC. In this epigram, the "H" stands for the Greek letter "eta" and the phrase "Jesus H. Christ" dates to the 1890's. Some people say the "H" stands for holy, others say it stands for haploid. As far as DevoH's middle name, read the tip in my post above. Read between it, read through it, read around it and back into it. You will find THAT answer there.

frankzeppelin
01-09-2003, 08:39 AM
This whole thing seems to be a moot point but I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't have a middle name. He didn't even have a last name - "Christ" is a title, it's Greek for "annointed one" meaning "the messiah." Surnames didn't start until the middle ages.

flea
01-12-2003, 02:41 PM
I was thinking about the song title matching Devo's middle name, and it gave me an idea on the meaning of the lyrics to the song.

>What's coming through is alive.
Devo's birth.

>What's holding up is a mirror.
Devo is a baby mirror of Maynard

>But what's singing songs is a snake
A reference to the baby crying, and the sound not matching it's cute source.

>They're both totally void of hate,
>But killing me just the same.
The baby [and possibly it's mother] are causing him pain [by crying etc], but he knows the mean no harm to him.

I could go on with the rest of the song, but you get the idea.

A freind and i came to the a drunken conclusion that it was Jesus Hates Christ, and the the annointed one was Skitsophrenic.