PDA

View Full Version : I know the concept behind Lateralus

harry_manback19
11-14-2006, 09:11 PM
I know that there is some really deep shit about being reborn and breaking away that is the theme for the cd, but this is something a little more up front that i came up with. Lateralus is an instrction manual. A manual on the process of becoming a Tool fan. Of course we all had to go through this process, but this reveals the steps that people who listen to all that pop bullshit need to take in order to free their minds. The cd starts with a fierce command to let go of the shit youve been holding on to, because its bringing you down. Eon Blue Apocalypse is an example of good music. Then, it instructs you that the first thing required to listen to good Tool music is patience, because you wont understand it on the first try, but if your patient, youll get your reward. Mantra is the first test of that patince, to see if you can take a song that has no melody, or even notes at all. Then, Schism provides instructions on how to piece together and rediscover your outlook on music. Once youve developed your new musical outlook, you have to break free of your old identity of pop music and fads (if your lost, im on Parabol/a). But before you can assume your new body, Ticks and Leeches provides your final test: to stick it to those parasites who fed you all that bullshit. Let them choke on it! Finally, you can be born again as a Tool fan. You may be unsure of things at first, but everything will start to become clearer (Lateralus), and since your new, the next three songs give u the process to use when listening to new Tool songs. Disposition is when u first listen to the song, and you think to yourself, "Hmmm...this is different." Reflection is when you actually must interpret the song, because you have to. This takes much longer than the first step, but once you succeed, Triad represents the reward you get when you realize "Damn! This is a kickass song!" (because thats what Triad is - kickass) and Faaip De Oaid is just the scariest shit i've ever heard.

Now I find this interesting because I think Lateralus is the album that opened up Tool to many more listeners, and it introduced Tool into mainstream society. In fact, Lateralus was the cd that first got me into Tool. Schism was the first Tool song i ever heard and i friggin loved it. This may explain why many hold Lateralus to be Tool's best album. Lateralus is the key! This is our tool...for spreading the word of Tool! We can use this to convert the masses! MAYNARD WILLS IT!

monkey_killer
11-16-2006, 03:43 AM
right on man! i like your general analysis of the album as a whole, good work =) did you ever consider reading into every little detail of the structure of the songs and the TRUE origin of the lyrics? i think you'll find it'll blow most tool fans out of the water.........very heavy shit!

harry_manback19
11-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I have a deeper interpretation about on how lateralus is about being reborn and reaching a higher level of awareness. This is just a little something i came up with on the side.

Davidow
11-17-2006, 12:25 AM
wow how you guys come up with such long anal ises
What about those who never listened to shitty pop music.
I guess they just listen to Lateralus as the next kickass album from Tool and become a bigger fan cuz that album is a masterpiece of all times!!!!
Yo hear me!!!hehe

monkey_killer
11-18-2006, 12:16 AM
ya right on harry dude! i always feel that when i listen to lateralus(album) the whole way through, smokin some nice weed.... i always come out with my thoughts cleansed and more aware! its rightous!..... oh and anyone reading this should seriously read some of this shit bout laterlus....it sums it all up for me, its got the deep references as well..... here ya go ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralus PEACE!!!

notregistered
11-18-2006, 12:28 AM
you've got to be shitting me. why would they train people how to be fans? all you have to be to be a fan is to have a connection with the music. it seems contradictory that you mention getting rid of "pop bullshit" and then say that the album introduced the band into mainstream society. they are pop. pop means popular. you don't sell over half a million albums in one week and not be popular. you don't have double platinum albums and not be popular. you don't sell out arenas all over america and the world and not be popular. they're not fall out boy or britney spears pop but they're not some underground secret either.

one_reflection
11-18-2006, 03:45 AM
I wouldnt call tool 'mainstream' as such.. and in oz at least they certainly arent 'popular'...popular with the 'alternative' crowd sure... i spose someone will know what i mean.

Anyway Harry i like your idea a lot. When i read 'instruction manual' i was thinking what the hell but it actaully works. I like it :) notregistered....you can tell you were going to criticise it from the minute you started reading..

monkey_killer
11-18-2006, 05:37 AM
too fuckin right

notregistered
11-18-2006, 10:42 PM
the album is a little deeper than teaching people how to blindly follow and worship them like gods or something.

cutoff.
11-18-2006, 11:14 PM
I know that there is some really deep shit about being reborn and breaking away that is the theme for the cd, but this is something a little more up front that i came up with. Lateralus is an instrction manual. A manual on the process of becoming a Tool fan. Of course we all had to go through this process, but this reveals the steps that people who listen to all that pop bullshit need to take in order to free their minds. The cd starts with a fierce command to let go of the shit youve been holding on to, because its bringing you down. Eon Blue Apocalypse is an example of good music. Then, it instructs you that the first thing required to listen to good Tool music is patience, because you wont understand it on the first try, but if your patient, youll get your reward. Mantra is the first test of that patince, to see if you can take a song that has no melody, or even notes at all. Then, Schism provides instructions on how to piece together and rediscover your outlook on music. Once youve developed your new musical outlook, you have to break free of your old identity of pop music and fads (if your lost, im on Parabol/a). But before you can assume your new body, Ticks and Leeches provides your final test: to stick it to those parasites who fed you all that bullshit. Let them choke on it! Finally, you can be born again as a Tool fan. You may be unsure of things at first, but everything will start to become clearer (Lateralus), and since your new, the next three songs give u the process to use when listening to new Tool songs. Disposition is when u first listen to the song, and you think to yourself, "Hmmm...this is different." Reflection is when you actually must interpret the song, because you have to. This takes much longer than the first step, but once you succeed, Triad represents the reward you get when you realize "Damn! This is a kickass song!" (because thats what Triad is - kickass) and Faaip De Oaid is just the scariest shit i've ever heard.

Now I find this interesting because I think Lateralus is the album that opened up Tool to many more listeners, and it introduced Tool into mainstream society. In fact, Lateralus was the cd that first got me into Tool. Schism was the first Tool song i ever heard and i friggin loved it. This may explain why many hold Lateralus to be Tool's best album. Lateralus is the key! This is our tool...for spreading the word of Tool! We can use this to convert the masses! MAYNARD WILLS IT!

dude. put the bong down.

harry_manback19
11-19-2006, 08:24 PM
the album is a little deeper than teaching people how to blindly follow and worship them like gods or something.

Perhaps I should clarify...again. I do not think that Tool actually released the album as an instruction for being Tool fans. This is merely something I came up with while sitting in my room thinking about lateralus. I thought it was kind of clever and pretty damn funny. And when I refer to pop bullshit, I mean the kind of stuff you hear on kiss or those other stations. Maybe I should have said that Lateralus made Tool more mainstream "rock", because for Tool to be mainstream pop that would mean their music would have to suck. I think we all can agree that wont happen anytime soon.

SMEPman
12-17-2006, 07:15 AM
Interesting observation. I think you are on to something harry. But, like the others, I have to agree the last thing MJK is interested in is creating fans in such a way.

bellamadia
12-19-2006, 10:11 AM

Understated, but on the right track. I am so floored by this awful interpretation of the CD that I can't even comment. I hope the person that started this post is kidding. They must be... I hope. God, I hope.

iAMtheMA!
12-19-2006, 06:38 PM
calm the fuck down, guy.

...oh, and point me t'wards your interpretation.

so, it's a little deeper than opiate. got it... what a necessary comment!

hobblegobble
01-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Harry, I love your interpretation...very original...better than seeing all the same CRAPPY REPETITIVE CRAPPY CRAP FROM EVERYONE ELSE....thanks Harry..very enlightening