PDA

View Full Version : Flies buzzing

weesper
11-14-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm just going for a big 'duhh' here but the sound at the beginning of Pushit is the sound of flies buzzing around a pile of shit, right?

amenorakumo
11-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Yea I really don't think so. It's a very weird sound; one I've occasionally heard in the silence of my house and then when I turn on the song, I cant tell the difference betweeh the two at all.. It's awesome th0. pretty haunting and drawn out. I'm interested what it really is..

Hindu
11-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Yea I really don't think so. It's a very weird sound; one I've occasionally heard in the silence of my house and then when I turn on the song, I cant tell the difference betweeh the two at all.. It's awesome th0. pretty haunting and drawn out. I'm interested what it really is..

I thought it was a cello, or some type of string instrument. I think the note is A minor actually, but I could be wrong.

weesper
11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Indeed it is an A and it is a string instrument, might well be a cello, but the question is what does it mean??

I'll go all out on this, risking indefinite ban. I've always heard Maynard using the wordplay 'Pushit on me, put shit on me' when listening to his lyrics. This always makes me think of the lyrics to Bottom and a possible link to the abuse described in Pushit. Anyways what I'm getting at is that the flies buzzing around the pile of shit would be a signpost to that wordplay as sort of ominous sign of things to come. What you think?

Hindu
11-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Indeed it is an A and it is a string instrument, might well be a cello, but the question is what does it mean??

I'll go all out on this, risking indefinite ban. I've always heard Maynard using the wordplay 'Pushit on me, put shit on me' when listening to his lyrics. This always makes me think of the lyrics to Bottom and a possible link to the abuse described in Pushit. Anyways what I'm getting at is that the flies buzzing around the pile of shit would be a signpost to that wordplay as sort of ominous sign of things to come. What you think?

The whole song is written in A minor.
I like your theory btw.

magicbus
11-26-2006, 03:08 PM
I agree with you guys, I'm pretty sure that's a cello at the beginning. But as to the meaning, I don't think it's anything really deep.

You can hear the same noise in King Crimson's song "Providence" (around 1:57). The guys have stated that they've been influence by prog bands like King Crimson and Pink Floyd, and I think they just did it as an homage to the band.

Another example of this is in The Grudge. The couple notes Adam plays at 7:48 are from the Floyd song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" at 1:13.

Pretty cool stuff.

mjkajdcjc
11-26-2006, 04:01 PM
I'd just like to add the "Flies on My Cock" is a great song by Ween...

Chester agrees, BTW...

magicbus
12-22-2006, 06:19 PM
I agree with you guys, I'm pretty sure that's a cello at the beginning. But as to the meaning, I don't think it's anything really deep.

You can hear the same noise in King Crimson's song "Providence" (around 1:57). The guys have stated that they've been influence by prog bands like King Crimson and Pink Floyd, and I think they just did it as an homage to the band.

Another example of this is in The Grudge. The couple notes Adam plays at 7:48 are from the Floyd song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" at 1:13.

Pretty cool stuff.

Amirite

fretforyourfigure462
12-30-2006, 12:52 PM
I'd just like to add the "Flies on My Cock" is a great song by Ween...

Chester agrees, BTW...

I see, Chester is nodding his head in approval. haha.

But yeah I really do think it's flies buzzing around...it makes sense.

mr. nikki jensen
01-13-2007, 12:02 PM
guitareffect...

talon
01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
didn't adam originally play violin as a kid?

magicbus
01-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah, cello I think. You guys, I explained what's going on above, it's not a secret meaning or anything.

weesper
01-24-2007, 05:06 AM
I don't think it's a 'secret' meaning either, I just can't imagine it being there for no reason and again my guess would be that its a prelude to the 'put shit on me' lyric since it's just so... Toolish to come up with a link like that. Then again if you're not buying it..

magicbus
01-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Well, I guess you never know. I've listened to the song a lot in the past few days, and I'm pretty sure I hear flies in other parts of the song too, like around 4:45-5:00.

So maybe the fly theory has some meaning, I was skeptical at first though.

Gently
01-24-2007, 09:24 PM
"lord of the flies"..perhaps beezlebub is related to the message of this song? im just thinking...i guess thats what i thought it was...huh

weesper
01-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Well, I guess you never know. I've listened to the song a lot in the past few days, and I'm pretty sure I hear flies in other parts of the song too, like around 4:45-5:00.

So maybe the fly theory has some meaning, I was skeptical at first though.

I must persuade you another way

ragextool
01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
i haven't checked out the aenima section of this for a while.. but i was pondering the lyric 'there's no love in fear' .. like i often do.. and figured i'd come check out this section... you are right on the money man, it's awesome.. it definitely sounds like flies around shit.. and it's not actual flies.. but that is the noise they are conveying...

wolffman5200
02-08-2007, 08:54 AM
puSHIT

theamazingtool
06-06-2008, 05:50 PM

i was actually trying to find a thread on this so i could state my theory, but you beat me to it. couldnt have said it better myself.

weesper
06-16-2008, 03:20 AM
didnt check back in ages, glad to see this thread is still up...

virtual handshake with theamazingtool

{Lateralus}
09-15-2009, 03:45 PM
I always thought it was flies. Whatever it is, it's cool. Makes the song feel... Dirty.

Yast3r
09-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Oh you guys make me laugh.

What do you mean, what does it mean? It's a string instrument being played, why are you attempting to assess it and add a meaning to it? It's simply an instrument being played.

I know everyone puts Tool to a higher standard, but come on, this is ridiculous.

Alex in Chains
09-15-2009, 04:23 PM
If you want to get truly technical, a guitar is a percussion instrument, from a classical standpoint at least.

{Lateralus}
09-15-2009, 06:10 PM
I do get a boner during this song, if that's what you mean.

That's exactly what I mean.