PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Conclusion

Kruppo
11-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Well, I know for sure this isn't the meaning of Parabola as MJK probably intended it. But I read a few threads about the meaning, and then I listened to the song's lyrics by myself and thought about it. I then came upon something interesting while I thought about it:

I think that the song could be viewed in yet another way: a way that is more receptable to anyone on this forum that might have Christian faith like I do. The song could be relating to the moment that a spirit leaves its dying flesh-and-blood body, and entering the gates of Heaven. MJK speaks of a holy experience, and being held by a body. He doesn't mention what that body is in particular; it could be God, maybe. As humans, our spirits would then be comforted by God, knowing that we're safe, and in good hands. Hence the lines "Feeling eternal, all this pain is an illusion..." and then there's this part too:

"Swirling round with this familiar parable.
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this
chance to be alive and breathing"

People say that when we enter Heaven, it's supposed to be like being reborn, right? and it's also supposed to be where everything that is good resides. So, the lines could be perhaps speaking of the human spirit enjoying what Heaven holds, To be able to enter Heaven is quite a gift all right - and it's one that should be celebrated. Being alive and breathing in Heaven, and finding that everything is wonderful, and there's no pain or regret or longing...

I know MJK wasn't thinking this when he wrote the song, but I found it to be an interesting concept. Anybody agree or disagree? Any kind of feedback is wonderful for me.

PShepherd11
11-20-2006, 07:01 PM
It is an interesting idea, but personally it doesn't hold the same meaning for me. I am an atheist, so I wouldn't look at it this way. Also, I'm not sure that if there were a heaven, then people would know anything about what it would feel like to enter it, that is just what a lot of people may believe. Nobody knows what he meant when he wrote any of his songs, they can only either speculate or take a personal meaning from the songs that is special to them and make it mean what they want.

In my opinion, this song represents sharing life and love with the one person on earth that was meant for him/her. I always felt it was song about love making, not just casual sex as some people I've heard say it is. That you love someone as much as yourself and have a bond that is like no other you could have with anyone else. That life is more worth living and tolerable because you can share "this holy gift" with them. "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" to me means that in that moment of making love, all is forgotten and nothing but that moment matters.

Kruppo
11-28-2006, 10:08 AM
That's a pretty good point. I agree with the fact that MJK's intentions in writing this were unknown to most of us anyhow. The idea of a couple truly in love though; yeah, that is a great bond. Wish more people my age realized that.