PDA

View Full Version : Re: parabol/parabola interpretation

marc
11-27-2002, 12:17 AM
i have a quick comment for parabol/parabola... rather than the start of parabol being about the two people in the relationship directly, i think it more deals with the individuals having, after the "schism", to deal with and start to become comfortable with themselves... almost a message if you will that life is precious and those around you are as well... the "form" the speaker reffers to i believe is his own body... the speaker stating that it is "so familiar and so overwhelmingly warm" tells us he knows this body, and that maybe for the first time since being alone is starting to be comfortable in it., and with himself... the refferences to "this body holding me,.. be my reminder here that i am not alone" to me are the speaker (or more interestingly maybe another entity being a friend, consoler or concience) telling us that no matter what we really are never alone... this body, mind and spirit are part of a larger thing... this is just a stage in our life cycle... all this along with the speaker stating that we are "choosing to be here in this body" gives the whole song a more spiritual (not to be assumed that is speaks only of the spiritual as a seperate thing... i believe that a lot of what tool has to saying is about keeping in mind that the spiritual and the physical are one in the same.. the physical is part of the spiritual and vice/versa...) feel to it, for me saying that these bodies may be almost a challenge that we accept as well as being a wonderful gift... we are reminded that this is a "holy gift" and that we should "celebrate the chance to be alive and breathing" this makes me feel that the speaker is trying to let us know that every small breathe we take is a miracle, that it is a cosmic impossibility and we should keep that in mind throughout our lives so that we may make the best of it... and our speaker gives us one last bit of wisdom, that "we are eternal and all of this pain is an illusion" .. a reminder that the torments of life are only temporary... that there is something better out there for us all.... a time when we will never feel alone... becasue we never were in the first place....
please do not take this interpretation as a religious or (especially) a christian one.... i have long felt that religion has been what has held us back as a species and i am not at all active in any church.... i simply believe that the spiritual does exist... in some form or other... not a god, or devil, just another place or way.... where we are never alone.. because we are part of the same thing.. again