PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Adam

fretforyourfigure462
11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Okay so in this interview with Adam I was listening to, Adam was talking about the pronunciation of Aenima and Aenema and in the midst of that he mentioned "washing away your problems and things you dont like about yourself and making them better" I was assuming he was implying that was the meaning of the song.
This sort of confused me because I thought Aenema was about how much LA sucks. Thats how I interpreted anyway.

Multiple meanings, perhaps?

Shantzy Boy
11-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Very much so. "Don't just call me pessimist, try and read between the lines."

The surface interpretation is about how shitty LA is and how we'd all be better off without it. The next level is cleaning the entire planet of all the people and all of the bad things people have done to it as a whole, in my opinion.

But what the song is saying as an allegory (story that is a metaphor) basically has to do with the two words that the title of the album and this song imply. "Enema" and "Anima," right? Well anima is an old word that means "soul" and an enema is the process of cleaning all the shit out that's been clogging up your colonic system. So that's what this album is about, and most particularly this song. Cleaning all the shit out of your head so you can think clearly, and moving into a higher state of awareness. The song 46&2 helps describe this process in a more direct way, if you're familiar with Jung at all, and the rest of the songs can be viewed in similar ways as well, but not so directly.

fretforyourfigure462
11-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks, that all makes a lot more sense now.
I knew a lot of Tool songs had multiple meanings. I just wasn't quite sure about this one. I try not to spend too much time analyzing their songs because usually we all end up overanalyzing them. So I just try to stick with simple interpretations that I think up myself. Tool has inspired me a lot to think for myself rather than let others think for me.

mjkajdcjc
11-08-2006, 05:55 PM
But what the song is saying as an allegory (story that is a metaphor) basically has to do with the two words that the title of the album and this song imply. "Enema" and "Anima," right? Well anima is an old word that means "soul" and an enema is the process of cleaning all the shit out that's been clogging up your colonic system. So that's what this album is about, and most particularly this song. Cleaning all the shit out of your head so you can think clearly, and moving into a higher state of awareness. The song 46&2 helps describe this process in a more direct way, if you're familiar with Jung at all, and the rest of the songs can be viewed in similar ways as well, but not so directly.

I would say that Third Eye might be at level with this song in terms of similar views from the album.