PDA

View Full Version : my thought

oldhickory
11-06-2006, 03:06 PM
On a recent night of using dissociatives, The meaning of this song stood out heavily in my mind. It is about taking that first step into spiraling out. That is why it is after Lateralus. It is him contemplating what to say to another.
"mention this to me, mention something, mention anything. Watch the weather change."

Meaning dont sit back in your life and watch things change around you. Take a step and make that change how you want it. Live your life to its fullest, and say everything that is on your mind. No more wasting oppurtunities

sorry if this has been said, and sorry for any spelling errors. This is just my interpretation

mjkajdcjc
11-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Good call. It makes sense logically that it would come after Lateralus for that reason. I think the two pieces next to each other really showcases the great amount of transendence and thought provoking images that this album slowly unveils.

HelenA
11-08-2006, 03:12 AM
It is about taking that first step into spiraling out. That is why it is after Lateralus. It is him contemplating what to say to another.
"mention this to me, mention something, mention anything. Watch the weather change."

Meaning dont sit back in your life and watch things change around you. Take a step and make that change how you want it. Live your life to its fullest, and say everything that is on your mind. No more wasting oppurtunities

Interesting. I have been seeing this song as a time of quiet contemplation (inward) but you seem to be thinking of it as more of an exploration (outward). It sounds to me like a contracting, distilling moment but I like your idea that it is an outreaching, encompassing song. Mmm. I will have to give this some more thought. I love this song, so I am happy to give it as much thought as it needs.

Lamia
12-05-2006, 09:48 AM
This song seemed to me to be more of an acceptance of the passage of time, and a giving up of the ego.

It is after lateralus, in which it is said "reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come." The weather is unpredictable and changes all the time. The song seems to communicate a certain peaceful contentment.

Accepting the random and uncontrollable elements of life requires an overcoming of the ego, which is expressed in the next track, Reflection, which seems to be almost entirely about the transcendence of ego.

][ncognito
02-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Interesting. I have been seeing this song as a time of quiet contemplation (inward) but you seem to be thinking of it as more of an exploration (outward). It sounds to me like a contracting, distilling moment but I like your idea that it is an outreaching, encompassing song. Mmm. I will have to give this some more thought. I love this song, so I am happy to give it as much thought as it needs.

I agree. This always seemed to be my perfect "deep in thought" song. The song title itself lends to the state of being deep in thought about something or someone. Which perfectly leads into the next song, Reflection, of course reflecting on the thoughts and decisions from Disposition.

As the dictionary defines it, I think the best suited in regards to the song are:

2. state of mind regarding something; inclination; and
5. final settlement of a matter.

or possibly both.

Mention something, mention anything.

Seems as though it's directed towards a person. Given the subject matter of things like The Grudge (let go or it'll consume you) and Schism (The relationship may be crumbling, but the pieces still fit) Disposition to me continues that. Now sitting in contemplation, and such. Mention something, mention anything. Try and resolve the conflict. The way it's worded makes it seems as if he just wants a resolution, any resolution (which happens to be the original title for the trio of songs, correct?).

He finishes off with "and watch the weather change" Basically saying achieve a resolution... get closure, and see how it plays out.

Transition into reflection.

I love it.

Aside from that, Justin truly kicks ass on this song.

HelenA
02-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I think of it as a gentle recovery song after the growth of Lateralus. A chance to stop and contemplate and rock in the breeze and chill-out.

parables in the world
02-25-2007, 10:29 PM
i feel it as a calm before the storm....the storm being Triad.

HelenA
03-07-2007, 04:01 AM
I like the idea, though, that it is the next step AFTER Lateralus - the beginning of the journey. Really nice concept.

Nietzsche's Dead
03-15-2007, 06:22 AM
This is one of the songs that hasnt changed much for me even after 6 years. This one's always portrayed a very 'far-away' sadness to me. A sort of helpless vibe. Such a mellow song, it almost hurts. And the 'watch the weather change' part I've always taken as just that: 'he' just wants this person to stay with him for a long, long time.

author of bible
03-22-2007, 02:38 AM
for me,
it has a very comforting effect
like taking a break and watching life from a spectator's view
watching.....analyzing...
waiting for the divine to reveal something...

(t)hick
04-03-2007, 04:43 AM
This song definitely captures the expansive feeling of the songs before and after. However I always felt that although they are expansive, they are still about a very personal, inward expansion.

Plus it's a great chance to just take a break and catch your breath before the build into reflection

tryptosaur
04-18-2007, 12:48 PM
The message to watch the weather change, to me has come to mean to look around and see how the nature of reality is not static.
Change through stability.
When you're really down a huge element of it is that you feel it will never end. When I first started listening to this album I was coming off heroin and thought the cycle would never end. Maybe be interrupted for a time, but always to return as if by gravity.
It was spring when I was listening to this constantly, and hearing Maynard say to watch... opened my eyes to what I had previously failed to notice , at least for a very long time---about 8 years.
"Mention this to me", is the asking of all that is not me to be almost like an alarm in the morning to make sure I get up on time. Mention anything---I NEEDED to hear ANYTHING but my own pessimistic voice.
Through aknowledging the Other, nature, life----new life can begin to grow from the heart. Like without the rain and without the sun there would be no life. The weather brings life. The storm is needed occasionally.
Every storm ends with sunshine.
Or would you rather see it the other way.
Or snap out of that illusion altogether and see it as one eternal phenomenon, something from which no one is seperate.

Kasadian
06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
i think to that it can be related to the idea of wanting something to happen but nothing in the objective world is changing and eventually you have to stop watching and start doing or else you'll be lost in this state fantasy and daydreaming of tomorrow or even the next moment for the rest of your life