PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell did this come from?

lizbiz
11-06-2006, 12:22 PM
I've read this on several different websites since the release of 10k Days. Does anybody where these people are getting this from?

Tool Viginti Tres Lyrics:
una Infinitas
Abominatio Nascitur Autumno
hic est tuum temptamen quod temptat tua potentia
viginti tres gradus ad summam potestatem

translated :
one infinity
the horror begins in autumn
this is your trial, which tries your (power, might, ability; efficacy, potency)
Twenty three steps to total power.

Lysander
11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Buh? No idea. Where did YOU get it? Lyrics sites like sing365 or something?

akela
11-07-2006, 03:51 AM
Yeah, I stumbled on this one few times myslef... There was a post about it somewhere here, but since it was quite a while and I don't recall any other posts on this, I'll bring it back. In case there were other posts and I missed them - I'm sorry for repeating.

As far as I know, this text comes from something called "Black Labyrinth". If I understood it correctly, it is (or rather was) a kind of on-line riddle on www.abovetopsecret.com. BL itself was just a weird page with an image of spinning labyrinth and this text in pseudo-Latin (here it is: http://randomnous.iamthecheese.com/id/black/index.html). People on ATS forum worked their asses off to find the solution of what the hell it was. They were as interested as some of Tool fans are in number "23" - just browse through the posts, you'll see. They also linked their game to Tool's "Viginti Tres" (like here: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread217330/pg1)....

As far as my knowledge is concerned, this game remains officialy unsolved. But here is one interesting theory about it: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread131740/pg1. The last few lines caught my attention:

"People will continue to believe that BL is a game that has a solution, and people will continue to try to discover this solution. Just like religious mystics siphon through endless text trying to discover a ‘Biblical Code’ or the Palmist reads the lines on another’s hand in order to predict their lives."

I got this very strong impression that those ATS people did with their game exactly the same thing as we here are doing with "Viginti Tres"... So maybe, just maybe, "Viginti Tres" is also THAT kind of game? With no final solution at all? Set up only to make people think, search and propose theories? Something that exploits our natural tendency to understand, to make sense out of things we see and hear...? Just a thought (please, don't burn me).

Still, I cannot explain why the text from BL game somehow became lyrics for "Viginti Tres"... Government conspiracy? Just kiddin'...

Lysander
11-07-2006, 04:24 AM
THe reason why I discount the "it's just random noise" theory is because of how detailed the soundscape is. If you don't TRY to analyze it, there's a lot of really great stuff in there. Er, for lack of a more eloquent term. So i'm certain there's more to it than "hey, that sounds cool, let's see what effects we can put on it! Ooh maaan! Sweet, dude!~"

MORNING_GLORY
11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm almost positive it means something... I don't believe Tool would have us chasing our tails for years...(or until the next album comes out)... that would be fruitless... and they're not really about wasting time. I'm sure it has some meaning... it may be silly... it may be complex... but I'm sure theres something there.

slamminsalmon
11-07-2006, 01:39 PM
my friend was kinda trancing out to this track, and i skipped it half way through.

it really pissed her off, she said she "felt the track stop"

dont ask me, i do tend to skip this one. but i agree with the fact, they wouldnt put this track on the album for shits and giggles.

mr. nikki jensen
11-10-2006, 08:28 AM
next tool album will be 23 segues!

OMFG!

parsad13
11-12-2006, 10:46 PM
ive kind of been getting this vibe that the next album will be yeah more segues, but along the lines of floyds the wall, with this massive story line. the album being essentially one track with dozens of themes and it just flows and keeps going. if they really were influenced by meshuggah (catch 33) they might just try this kind of metal symphony, if you will. thats the impression i get from those lyrics.

TWENTY-THREE
11-15-2006, 10:05 PM
ive kind of been getting this vibe that the next album will be yeah more segues, but along the lines of floyds the wall, with this massive story line. the album being essentially one track with dozens of themes and it just flows and keeps going. if they really were influenced by meshuggah (catch 33) they might just try this kind of metal symphony, if you will. thats the impression i get from those lyrics.

Ever notice how "other" people(i.e. not Tooliates) tend to trip out and act a little weird when listening to this track?

MORNING_GLORY
11-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Ever notice how "other" people(i.e. not Tooliates) tend to trip out and act a little weird when listening to this track?

Actually... they always tell me to change the song.

DON IOTAE
11-16-2006, 09:35 AM
next tool album will be 23 segues!

OMFG!

lol

Kotowboy
12-10-2006, 06:25 AM
meh - should have been a song.

Ænimic4six1
12-17-2006, 06:36 PM
yeah i found similar Latin lyrics for Viginti Tres too..
its on the review of 10,000 days on

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

well,i still dun hear shit..just for that big,divine voice near the end.

theDEXorphan
12-17-2006, 11:19 PM
i have nothing intelligent to say about this.
i love these ideas though and the black labyrinth has become a new obsession.
it's beautiful.
:)

NoFeelings
12-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Actually... they always tell me to change the song.

same thing happens to me with ions :/

fnshmetal
12-18-2006, 08:58 AM

I was listening to this song with a friend who likes tool but isnt intm them hardcore. His response while hearing this track was, "It sounds like we are entering the land of the dead" which i found very interesting.

ThirdEyEwidEopEn
12-27-2006, 09:47 PM
You know I never really realized how powerful this song was I always thought it was just noise, but tonight I revisted it at a very loud volume I dunno it just freaked me out sorta maybe it was the ganj....but this song suddenly has a spot on my STELLAR LIST reguardless of wtf anyone thinks about it, the cd or anything else that matters.

"I was listening to this song with a friend who likes tool but isnt intm them hardcore. His response while hearing this track was, "It sounds like we are entering the land of the dead" which i found very interesting."

That is pretty wild thought huh, I wonder how he knows what entering the land of the dead sounds like though unless. Well unless hes a warlord of the dark army or some weird shit. Or you think he was just guessing what it sounded like? :D

ThirdEyEwidEopEn
12-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Maybe he saw the movie I forgot about it :D :D :D

PriceisRight
12-29-2006, 12:57 PM
same thing happens to me with ions :/

i was with a chick when lost keys came on...which i think is relaxing to hear.

she was like WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LISTENING TO...fliped my radio to rap and sat back down.

If I didn't plan on getting some that night i would have bitched her out. :P