PDA

View Full Version : Don't you step out of line..

Hindu
11-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Is this a military reference? What does it mean in the context of this song?

rintoot
11-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I think it is symbolic of what this whole song means. I don't believe the song is purely about Bill Hicks as some say, but I think it is at least based on him and his personality/opinions, which are similar to Maynard's. Other lines like "He had a lot of nothin' to say," I think are representative of what all the neysayers and straight up people would say in response to hearing what Bill thinks about drugs, sex, and topical issues in life in general. I believe the song is the point of view of more conformed people who don't embrace anything, it's all "out there" to them.

Hindu
11-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I think it is symbolic of what this whole song means. I don't believe the song is purely about Bill Hicks as some say, but I think it is at least based on him and his personality/opinions, which are similar to Maynard's. Other lines like "He had a lot of nothin' to say," I think are representative of what all the neysayers and straight up people would say in response to hearing what Bill thinks about drugs, sex, and topical issues in life in general. I believe the song is the point of view of more conformed people who don't embrace anything, it's all "out there" to them.

Ya.. I always argued against the song being about Hicks because its condescending at the end. But now that you mention it, all Maynard is doing is changing the point of view of the song from someone who admires Hicks to someone criticizing him. He does this all the time, most notably in Wings when he goes from the point of view of himself to the point of view of Judith Marie.

rintoot
11-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Ya.. I always argued against the song being about Hicks because its condescending at the end. But now that you mention it, all Maynard is doing is changing the point of view of the song from someone who admires Hicks to someone criticizing him. He does this all the time, most notably in Wings when he goes from the point of view of himself to the point of view of Judith Marie.

right, like i said i dont really think its totally about hicks, but it can be applied and maybe was inspired a little bit