PDA

View Full Version : The cross-like symbol in the liner notes

Fink
11-26-2002, 08:49 PM
I know I read some posts elsewhere about the symbol as well as about all of the patterns, and I just thought I'd point out something I found. In my room I have a gigantic $50 savings bond (with FDR) hanging on the wall and I couldn't help but notice the design along the border on the front of the bond on the top. There appears, at a few points, a cross (which somewhat resembles the one in the liner notes) on a spiral pattern (although it is noticeably different from the pattern in the liner notes). I'd take a picture but I don't have my digital camera handy right now.

Ask yourself...coincidence...or Templar conspiracy???

J1516
11-27-2002, 05:46 PM
I just thought the cross meant that salvation awaited at the end, but it's more likely that an ancient order of knights are going to come and take over the world or do something really arty and pretentious, and that's how they'll beat us...

crow011
11-28-2002, 07:12 PM
apparently they are tibetan thunderbolts . . . i have no idea what this means, but i dare say it alludes to the spirituality of the region . . .

to be honest, i havent really researched much on this, so now looks like a good time to put "tibetan thunderbolts" into a search engine . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

7chakras
11-29-2002, 03:28 PM
yes. the cross symbol consists of four tibetan thunderbolts or Vajra. two opposing Vajra (Viswa Vajra) are made to represent The Void or Clear Light (the nothingness of the One in Buddhist teaching) so I'm not too sure what Alex Grey was getting at with four... The Really Really Voidy Voidness? It probably has something to do with the Templar/Rosicrucian cross or some other esoteric conspiracy theory... *points accusingly at Mr Carey*

7chakras
11-29-2002, 03:36 PM
actually scratch that Templar comment.

I just found a picture of a Tibetan pendant with pretty much exactly the same symbol as in Lateralus.

So yeah - the Vajra cross is a tibetan symbol for The Void. Makes sense when you think about it.