PDA

View Full Version : Opinion and a funny story

rickiep00h
11-19-2002, 02:29 AM
As many of us know, 46 & 2 is a reference to both chromosomes and spiritual evolution.

But this evolution isn't hinted at only in the lyrics.

Maynard has often said that the lyrics come out of the emotions and ideas that the music Danny, Adam, and Justin write, and this is a prime example of what he's talking about.

Throughout the song, the instruments repeat the same ostinato throughout, creating a feeling of a plateau, a leveling-off brought to the forefront by the lyrics. Then, the texture changes...

The guitar tone becomes processed through wah and other effects. The bass starts mixing up the riff, changing it, only slightly, to make it seem to grow and change. Finally comes the explosive drum break, and Maynard sings "Stepping through my shadow." Truly this feeling is evoked, as the rest of the band breaks through its musical shadow; it grows and evolves.

This is my second favorite tool song. It brings up a certain need to better myself, not only in my life, but in my role in other people's lives. I'm constantly struggling to step through my social and spiritual shadow, to come out on the other side more thoughtful, important, and articulate person; one that is fully engulfed in where I am, who I am, and who I'm with, part of the whole... a true spiritual being.

Tywi
11-19-2002, 08:06 AM
I think that the general themes of evolution and metamorphosis are prevelant musically in any number of Tool songs too.

The vast majority of their compositions (mostly post-Undertow) all reach climactic points where the instrumentalists illustrate strong changes in the musical landscape. I tend to think of 'H.' as a classic example of this - after 'I don't mind...' the whole song cruises into a more definite minor key and Adam's wah-ed guitar screeches away while the rhythm section construct a horrifyingly formidable platform for him. It seems like beautifully organised chaos.
The 'heavier' and louder nature of this passage illustrates (to me anyway) how painful and hard change is. But then the song slides back into the chorus and finally relaxes with its outstanding melody... showing that its all worth it.

rickiep00h
11-19-2002, 09:49 AM
ach! I forgot my story!

At work, I tend to count back change in the coin, bill format, as in "here's your 35, and there's 4."

Totally inadvertantly I gave back someone's 2.46 in this manner: "Here's your 46, and 2." Isn't that odd?

strandway
11-19-2002, 03:17 PM
carl jung and bob frissell both discuss ideas found in 46 & 2, books by those guys would be worth a read. after which, listen to more tracks from Ænima. it will all slowly begin to make sense...kind of.

Andy DV
11-20-2002, 06:58 PM
In response to something hinted at in the first post, I definately feel that while Maynard's lyrics are amazing and give the listener a greater understanding of the song, the music itself is the driving force behind every TOOL song. Any meaning or understanding I get from a song is only reinforced by the lyrical content. The concept of "seeing sound" is also very enlightening, and is touched on in an interview with Maynard and a Philosophy professor at http://www.cdicarlo.com/paper_04maynard.htm. Okay, I promise not to put this link in anymore of my posts, but I recommend checking out this guy's entire site. This guy is not only a Visiting Scholar at Harvard University, but he also seems to be a diehard TOOL fan and can provide a lot of insight for any TOOL sponges like myself.

cubanboy6969
11-23-2002, 04:42 PM
That link doesnt work for me....its the 17 & 1 of links

ragna16
11-23-2002, 04:49 PM
The non-lyrical sound really sets the landscape in which the story is told, and the story is deliverd on top of that. So the instruments really produce the connontation of the piece, and give it life and emotion for sure.

I also suggest reading up on C.G. Jung. The man was top-notch in understanding the subconscious, and the concept of a collective unconscious is purely insightful. The man had the introspective gift.

sloppyc
11-24-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by cubanboy6969
That link doesnt work for me....its the 17 & 1 of links

...just remove the last part (go here instead: http://www.cdicarlo.com) and you should get through. very interesting site.

dork
12-08-2002, 09:21 PM
The link doesnt work because of the period after htm yo

vecima
12-10-2002, 01:35 AM
just wanted to say, that as the world of information that is tool grew on me, and i grew into it, i cant help but find more interconnectedness in everything- every single aspect of my life. just listening to tool and paying attention sends chills (or maybe its waves of energy) up my spine (chakras?)
hell, just reading some of these posts gives me the all over tingly feeling- overwhelming inspiration. if anyone can answer this question for me please email me at [email protected]
is this feeling an intuition? sometimes it feels like its leading me, or trying to show me where i want to be sory to those of you who think im crazy and that this doesnt make any sense, and to those kids whove posted that they wish they understood things- hang in there, if you wonder, and keep thinking it'll start to make sense