PDA

View Full Version : a brave new grudge

joshuacureton
06-02-2003, 01:21 PM
i think this song is about that one fucking guy...remember him? that one asshole that just couldnt figure it out. he would push you from behind, he would knock your girlfriends books out of her hands, he would steal your milk (or failing that, your milk money on the following day). you remember: the manifestation of the grudge... that fucking guy?
the singer is singing about that fucking guy, only indirectly. that fucking guy has grown up, now, its several years later (or several later years, as it were). he is no longer "that fucking guy"; rather, he has become "some fucking guy". he still acts like a "fucking guy", though he does it in diffrerent ways, at different places. he bumps his tunes at three in the morning; he shits in the office restroom and does not spray lysol; he interrupts conversations. his testosterone production has slowed since his earlier "that fucking guy" incarnation.
now the song "the grudge" is about some other guy, you or me maybe (probably me) that has evolved out of the shit-throwing childhood into (an approximation of) reason. you know that it only makes things worse to bear a grudge towards that fucking guy, but that fucking guy soooo pissed you off that youve been scarred. you cant think of anything other than that fucking guy being skinned, or crank-called, or something like that. anyways, it is in your grudge for the fucking guy that you have your power, because you have held it for so long. your "crown" of grudge-ness is something that you have ascended to over time, you have matured into your reign as "your grudginess".
the singer is saying "this is not wise". what is wise is to abandon your grudge-crown thingee and just be. you will die soon, and that sucks royal eggs. so why bother hating that fucking guy? he will die too, so fuck him. that part about wearing the grudge like a crown of negativity is really poetic. all of that stuff about saturn is probably the singer's religion or something. wierd (weird).
viva didactic press!

soberwithapenis
06-02-2003, 02:31 PM
more than holding the grudge, i think Tool are trying to say not to hold any grudges. What does that solve? Negativity is a very dislikable virtue. Yes the point is that "that guy" will die soon, but not so much that he will die, but that he will die without ever knowing.

Just read the quote on the Opinion Homepage.