PDA

View Full Version : General ponderings on the futility of interpretations

Dee
10-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Just thinking out loud here, but isn't it kind of silly trying to find some over-arching meaning to Tool songs?

I mean MJK says himself on the APC DVD that the songs are written from different view-points, from the PoV of a drug, of an addict, of a manic-depressive, of some trying to deal with someone who's self-destructing, of someone who is sick, of someone who is dying, of someone who is selfish, someone who is giving etc etc....

I don't think any one song can really be tied down to any one meaning. I mean, some songs can be connected to events in a band member's life, but everyone can relate to some aspect of every song. Each song has a 'theme' and maybe you can relate to that experience, and maybe you can't. They're all about aspects of human life.

That doesn't mean they're only about Maynard's mom, or his son, or any particular person, place or thing. I think we're supposed to find what relevant to our own lives from the issues being raised and maybe encourage us to think a little harder about the significane of these events. But that's about it. Tool give us a starting point, like Plato's gadfly, they 'sting' us out of complaceny about everyday things, offering different meanings and thoughts on a subject.

Nothing is rigid, everything is open. There is no 'right' answer, no 'right' meaning to a song. We are wiser when we contemplate and realise that we know nothing. Think for yourself, question authority. As long as you use reason and logic, you can't go wrong. Stop forcing your opinions on others.

Comments and discussions welcome.

Confield
10-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Have you also discovered the cure for cancer?

Syrus
10-29-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree with you Dee that people should not force their opinions on others as being "the only correct answer", but I do not agree when you say that their is no "right" or "wrong" meaning to a song.

These songs were written with certain themes and ideas, and you can take them and personalize them however you like, but it still doesn't change the fact that Tool wrote them about something in particular. Some people are interested in studying these songs, just as scholars study works of great literature for their themes or social commentary etc etc...

I feel that it's a bit of a cop out when people say "the song means whatever you want it to mean to you". It's like the defense for a really shitty painting, saying "well, it's art".

Take an example, the movie Dracula 2000. I really bad movie for sure, but it means a lot to me, because this is the movie I saw on the first date with a fine lady who is now my fiancee. Now this movie to me symbolizes this, but it really still is just a terrible movie about vampires.

Now when people come on these message boards to discuss their opinions of songs, I think that it is important that a consensus is reached generally about the meaning of the song. It provokes intelligent thought, and good debate. It's too easy to just hide behind the "well everyone's opinion is valid!" defense.

I think people need to carefully seperate what they relate to the song, as opposed to what they think the song is actually about. Maynard has said that most interpretations of his lyrics are way off, and that's ok. But don't put down those people who find it interesting and challenging to try to discover the original meanings, rather than just feel whatever they want to feel about the song.

No one can claim to know Tool's original intention about the songs, but their are a lot of clues. Now I think that some of the more straightforward songs can with 99% certainty be said that they are about one thing in particular. (Aenema or Vicarious for example). Some of them are not so obvious, like Jambi, and therein lies the fun.
And isn't this what this forum is about? Discussing these songs? Offering opinions and then debating and defending them? Otherwise why are you here?

Syrus

+++++Darth+++++
01-13-2007, 05:07 AM
For me, Jambi is about a certain person helping you overcome a dark time in your life. Which can be any number of things.

Inner_Eulogy
01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree with you Dee that people should not force their opinions on others as being "the only correct answer", but I do not agree when you say that their is no "right" or "wrong" meaning to a song.

These songs were written with certain themes and ideas, and you can take them and personalize them however you like, but it still doesn't change the fact that Tool wrote them about something in particular. Some people are interested in studying these songs, just as scholars study works of great literature for their themes or social commentary etc etc...

I feel that it's a bit of a cop out when people say "the song means whatever you want it to mean to you". It's like the defense for a really shitty painting, saying "well, it's art".

Take an example, the movie Dracula 2000. I really bad movie for sure, but it means a lot to me, because this is the movie I saw on the first date with a fine lady who is now my fiancee. Now this movie to me symbolizes this, but it really still is just a terrible movie about vampires.

Now when people come on these message boards to discuss their opinions of songs, I think that it is important that a consensus is reached generally about the meaning of the song. It provokes intelligent thought, and good debate. It's too easy to just hide behind the "well everyone's opinion is valid!" defense.

I think people need to carefully seperate what they relate to the song, as opposed to what they think the song is actually about. Maynard has said that most interpretations of his lyrics are way off, and that's ok. But don't put down those people who find it interesting and challenging to try to discover the original meanings, rather than just feel whatever they want to feel about the song.

No one can claim to know Tool's original intention about the songs, but their are a lot of clues. Now I think that some of the more straightforward songs can with 99% certainty be said that they are about one thing in particular. (Aenema or Vicarious for example). Some of them are not so obvious, like Jambi, and therein lies the fun.
And isn't this what this forum is about? Discussing these songs? Offering opinions and then debating and defending them? Otherwise why are you here?

Syrus

Agreed, however, there are definately some very INCORRECT theories people post here that are way off. Granted it can mean many things generally speaking but, some people on these forums just don't seem to have the slightest clue.