PDA

View Full Version : This song is about the relationship between Maynard and his mother (Long)

14thDosage
10-28-2006, 09:15 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but it seems to me like this song is about Maynard's mom, just like the two that come after it. I think if you look at the lyrics in this way it makes a lot of sense, and so does the positioning in this album. My idea is that this song tells the story of his relationship with his mother while she was still alive but nearing the end of her life and tells of the division between the two of them, for which Maynard "makes amends" for in Wings for Marie by mending the division through spirituality and religion. Also when I say Wings for Marie throughout this, I'm talking about both parts.

The song starts off by Maynard talking about his fame and "darker" side, which is directly contrasting with the positive imagery used in Wings for Marie.

"Here from the king's mountain view
Here from the wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan, I do
On treasures and flesh never few"

The first two lines are pretty self-explanatory, in this context they're talking about his fame and celebrity status (while this is really uncharacteristic of Maynard's lyrics, I think it fits in really well with the rest of this interpretation). Anyways, the second two lines are darker than the first: "Feasting like a sultan on flesh" gives off the feeling that whatever is being talked about here is sinful, something that would be conflicting with his Mother's religious views.

"But I would wish it all, away
If I thought I'd lose you just one day"

This line comes up alot so I'll only cover it once - I think that in this context it is talking about how Maynard loves his Mother, and is willing to sacrifice for her despite the division between. But as we see later on in the lyrics, there is almost a barrier that prevents him from doing this while she is alive.

"The devil and his had me down
In love with the dark side I've found
Dabblin' all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown."

First thing to notice about this part is the change in Maynard's voice in the first line. In the first four lines covered above, his voice is much stronger and higher, whereas here its lower and more droning. It signifies a change and when set against the heavy guitar and drums, I think it gives off the idea that the man singing now is alot more desperate and worn out - like a man up to his neck soon to drown.

Anyways back to the actual lyrics, I think he's talking here about being so negative that his faith was shattered. Almost like he was playing with negativity and darkness so much that he was about to "drown" himself in it and be consumed by it. I think that Undertow and Aenima are examples of this "dabblin'" both very dark albums that even had an ongoing use of drowning as a metaphor. The imagery through diction is very important here more so than the literal meaning - again the image of "sin" is being conjured up, and even the devil is mentioned here (religious imagery).

"But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round"

His mother changed his life and helped him turn around to see the light of spirituality and positivity - an attitude reflected in Lateralus.

Also going to take a second to point out that it's not all about the lyrics. I think the heavy drums and guitar set against Maynard's voice is supposed to be very contrasting - to me, it gives the image of a good man fighting with satanic forces and negativity.

Moving on,

"Pray like a martyr dusk to dawn
Beg like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along"

Again, the ongoing metaphors and themes are prevalent here. Again the devil is mentioned, and so is a martyr, and so is a hooker; sin and religious imagery that contrasts with the religious imagery used in Wings for Marie. And again we have the contrast between the positive and negative, holy and unholy - dusk and dawn, martyr and hooker. Also, the idea that the Maynard is subtly alluding to Undertow and Aenima (as mentioned above) are reinforced here with "Shout to the devil with my song" - also possibly could be a reference to the song Judith as well. Also once again notice the change in Maynard's voice - it begins to fit alot more again with the instruments.

"So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away

You're my piece of mind,
[my home / my Om / my own / my all]
I said I'm just trying to hold on
One more day"

The intensity here is rising, and I think this part is talking about an urgency that Maynard feels to mend the relationship with his mother before she passes away. He is realizing what his mother means to him, and is trying to hold on to her as long as he can. "I'm just trying to hold on one more day" is from the perspective of both Maynard and his mother, I think.

"Damn/Dim my eyes!

Damn/Dim my eyes!
If they should compromise
Our fulcrum
Want and need divide me
Then I might as well be gone..."

This is Maynard crying out to the heavens in desperation. He is facing the reality of the situation and the idea that him and his mother will stay divided until her death. As a result of this, I think the following instrumental interlude is symbolic of Maynard plunging into hell so to speak, finally being swallowed up by negativity and sin.

"Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the broken
Shine until the two become one

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one"

I think this part is really really open and could fit into this interpretation context in a number of ways. If "sun" is "son", this could be his mother speaking to Maynard from heaven. Personally though I think that it is Maynard having a religious epiphany and he is speaking to God from hell asking for help. The religious imagery is there regardless of the literal meaning (Sun -> heavens), as is the description of the division between Maynard and his mother (broken, severed)

"Divided, withering away
Shine down upon the many, light our way,
Benevolent sun."

This is the division between Maynard and his mother being expanded from the micro to the macro, basically saying that the entire human race is being slowly divided in two the same way that Maynard and his mother are (also division into two = heaven and hell, at least in this song). This is also a them that runs through the entire album.

"Breathe in union"

A command, from God I would say, for Maynard and his Mother to breath in union and become one. This is a transformation mending the relationship as his mother is dying. (the interpretation for this line is kind of iffy so if anyone wants to expand on it or has an idea please share)

"So, as one, survive
Another day and season"

This is saying that we must mend the divisions in the human race in order to survive as a species.

"Silence, Legions, save your poison
Silence, Legion, stay out of my way"

This is Maynard with a renewed strength talking to the legions of hell. He is basically telling them "I'm a new man, so you can just fuck off this time." Which brings us nicely into Wings for Marie where Maynard attempts to mend the division and embraces his new spirituality.

----

Anyways thanks for reading this whole thing, and feel free to comment/criticize. If there's anything you want to add or expand upon, please do so. Also if you really don't agree with the interpretation, say why but please try to keep content in your posts and give your reasoning.

mr. nikki jensen
10-28-2006, 09:23 AM
great interpretation.

everytime i read songmeanings about jambi, my vision of the song seems to chance. it could mean anything, but i think this point of view is the strongest after all. now i think its about his mother. especially the " im just trying to hold on, one more day" sentence. it gives so much more meaning.

thank you for showing me the way towards the light buddy

14thDosage
10-29-2006, 10:11 AM
great interpretation.

everytime i read songmeanings about jambi, my vision of the song seems to chance. it could mean anything, but i think this point of view is the strongest after all. now i think its about his mother. especially the " im just trying to hold on, one more day" sentence. it gives so much more meaning.

thank you for showing me the way towards the light buddy

Are you being sarcastic with that last sentence? =/
I don't see how someone else making a song about his mother shows you to the light, exactly.

Syrus
10-29-2006, 04:26 PM
I think most people are reading too much of what they want to hear into the verses of this song, and ignoring the KEY lyrics, the climax of the first half of the song, which is resolved in the last half:

"Damn/Dim my eyes!

Damn/Dim my eyes!
If they should compromise
Our fulcrum
Want and need divide ME
Then I might as well be gone..."

This is not about him and his mother,, it is about only HIM being divided. (otherwise it would be "if want and need divide US...") This lyric is about the division in himself between want and need. This is the key message of this song. Later in the song, it is the "benevolent son/sun" that reunites him, "shines down upon the broken until the two become one." It is not two different people. It is a single divided person becoming one again. Only through this can he survive "so as ONE survive, another day and season."

Now the real question, is who or what is the benevolent son/sun, and how does it help him to reunite the "want" and "need"?

I personally do not believe that it is about his mother, because we have already seen that they did not see eye to eye, and that had very differing opinions on matters of spirituality (Judith). This is not the person that is his "all", or his "center" or his "peace of mind". Wings/10KD days is him eulogizing her and finally letting go. People seem to think that Maynard has converted to Christianity, when all he is saying in Wings/10KD days is that if anyone deserved to be in heaven, it was his mother. He says that she should "shake her fist at the gate" and basically demand her wings from god, as if she is equal or greater than god. These are not the words of a humble and devout god-fearing christian. Maynard still hasn't come to terms with his mother, but wings/10KD is his way of offering his final respects, and letting her go.

Jambi has a very different feel. First of all, he is speaking in the present tense about this person "if I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away". To me, Jambi ends on a much more positive note, with hope for the future. MJK was being divided by want and need, but his "benevolent son" helps him to put himself back together, everyday, to survive another day.

Maynard lived his whole life with his mother probably trying to help him/convert him/save his soul etc, and she still could not be the one to help him reunite himself. It took someone else coming into his life to do this. The only person that I can see this being about is his son (most likely) or a significant other (maybe). It takes having a child to truly make someone change their life.

Syrus

amenorakumo
10-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Jesus said, "When you make the two one, and when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the above like the below, and when you make the male and the female one and the same...then you will enter the Kingdom of God." -- It's a long process, which is why it's been reiterated over the albums countless times. But really I think this quote is significant to 99% of tool songs.

Zippy
10-29-2006, 08:52 PM
Jesus proabably never said that, since nothing was recorded of his teachings for at least two generations after he died.

The duality you speak of, and the idea that when they are brought together one reaches a higher level of consciousness is an ancient eastern religion ideal, and one that has existed in one form or another for as long as religion has existed. I doubt it has much to do with that quote directly, but I agree that there is a connection with the idea in general.

radionails
11-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Since the first time I heard Jambi I drew a correlation between MJK and his mother, so I'm glad you mapped it out 14th Dosage.

Judith wasn't about hating his mother at all, it was about his dischord with her unwavering belief in Christianity even after she was left crippled by her "God". Something MJK just couldn't understand in her.

He's more or less saying in this song, IMHO, that even though he has his own way of life (be it his occult "dabblin'", etc), he would "toss it all away" if he could hold onto his mother for "one more day".

He's no longer concerned with differences in their beliefs, he just doesn't want his mother to die.

"Shine on..." could be MJK's way of saying "if there is a God, show me now and fix this."

"Silence, Legions..." could mean that he doesn't care if people think he's converted, just that he wants answers at any cost.

He seems torn between want and need and is at a disharmonious state that needs to be brought back to equilibrium (to breathe in union). He wants to believe his mother was wrong for believing, but now he needs to know if she was right.
Or, two become one could mean reuniting with his mother, who knows.

But the song entails a need to mend his contrasting feelings and become one with himself again, or else he is nothing.