PDA

View Full Version : the dissonance...

ThreeDeviations
11-26-2002, 05:14 PM
I think the song is about a once meaningful, passionate, healthy relationship...

However, now the relationship has progressively gotten worse... to the point where the two people have become basically opposites.
Hence, "mildewed and smoldering" and "fundamental differing.." Mildew, and something that's smoldering are stark opposites.

Pure intention juxtaposed is necessary in a meaningful relationship.... but as any relationship wears on, that pure intention is tested through time... possibly eroding or "disintegration" along the way.

"The light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us so we cannot see to reach and end..."
(their mutual passion, conviction and perspective)
These were the attributes that originally brought them together, however, now it's ironic that these same "attributes" are what's keeping them apart.

"No fault, none to blame... that doesn't mean I don't desire to point the finger, blame the other...watch the temple topple over, to bring the pieces back together, rediscover communication."
Maynard basically saying that he doesn't blame the other person in the relationship for having their own opinions and conviction... In fact, he wouldn't want it any other way. However, he still feels that he is the one who's standing for what is right... so the urge to "point the finger" still exists. "Rediscover communication" just explains that in their relationship, and in our lives as human beings... we need to be able to compromise and understand what's important in order to evolve individually, and globally.

"The poetry that comes from the squaring off between...
and the circling is worth it.
Finding beauty in the dissonance."

Although the feud between the two people isn't good for their relationship... The thoughts, emotion, and energy conjured from this "squaring off" can actually help create something positive if it's processed and channeled correctly.
The "circling is worth it" line, I have always associated the expression"they're going 'round n 'round over that issue." Hence, the "circling." Repeatedly discussing an issue in the relationship... going 'round n 'round about the topic of debate.

"Strangled by our coveting.."
I don't think this refers to any material possessions.... It's that their relationship is being suffocated because they both desire different things from it.

("Strangled by our coveting" could be material things if you apply this song globally.... land, weapons, power etc.)

"Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion... between supposed lovers/brothers."

Sounds like the two have separated and have not communicated (cold silence) recently. This lack of communication between the two (at least from the author's perspective) really makes him less sympathetic/caring toward the other person.

"Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed brothers.."
Lack of global unity, due to poor communication on every level.

LyingRealist
11-27-2002, 04:10 AM
Finally someone who feels the same.
I know we arent supposed to say me too or anything but still i cant really think of a beter way to put it than ThreeDeviations has.
Well done.

TheDisturbed1
12-01-2002, 02:58 AM
a quick trip to the dictionary tells us that schism (pronounced as skizm) means division!...though i am not a christian and i hold many opinions about this song and every song by tool,i cant help thinkin' that this has something to do wid the division of church!maynard says if ppl wud have exchanged ideas and believes...mayb christianity wudn't have faced so much troubles e.g..the fight between the catholix and the protestants....if u see the video...u'll understand that 2 ppl (one upside down and the other upright...this might symbolize different believes)are holding each other and changing places to save themselves from totally drowning in the quicksand...i am sure that the upside down person is the catholic church and the other whos dressed up like a warrior is the prtestant chuch!...the part where he says the poetry......its about juss believing in bible...ppl make up stories and then make ppl believe in them...so juss follow wot God saze..not wot a man saze....(yet i believe the bible has gone curropt over the time....no offense to any christian,juss a general statement)....

TheDisturbed1
12-01-2002, 03:02 AM
and this isn't about a bf/gf relationship....the proof:...in the end he says 'cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed lovers...supposed BROTHERS'........

ThreeDeviations
12-02-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by TheDisturbed1
and this isn't about a bf/gf relationship....the proof:...in the end he says 'cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed lovers...supposed BROTHERS'........

A quick trip to the dictionary, eh? What did the ole dictionary tell you about " 4° ?" What was the definition it gave you when you looked up the "grudge?" Do those definitions reflect the MEANING of those two songs? No. There are also many other songs that if you just went by their literal definitions, You'd be left wonderin' how it could possibly relate to the meaning of the song. Schism is no different.

Is Schism possibly making a subtle reference to Cath/Prot division, as you say the song's title suggests. I suppose it's possible. Is that the core of the song's meaning? No. The WORD schism isn't necessarily synonymous with something "relgious."
I doubt Maynard would write about organized religion anyhow, unless to bash it. The song is about communication in general.
You think Maynard gives a shit about the Catholics and their beliefs? Uhh, no. Do you think he worries about a Protestant's frame of mind?? No. So if he doesn't care about either, then why do you think he would devote a whole song to something he couldn't care less about?

Prison Sex isn't literally about Sex in Prison, regardless of what you or Webster have to say about it. However, it's an appropriate metaphor for the song.

...and you say "this (schism) isn't about a relationship because in the end he says cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed lovers/between supposed brothers."

If you read my actual interpretation of the song, I told how Schism could relate to a personal relationship and on a larger/global scale. Religion could be a small part of that global communication to which I referred.

"Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion between supposed lovers..."
That is a quote intended for a personal, 1 to 1 relationship.

Then he says "between supposed brothers."
"Brothers" means humanity, which is the global scale that I referred to in my original post.

So instead of you gathering that Schism isn't about a personal "bf/gf" relationship because he says "Brothers" at the end, it shoud've told you that the song was meant to be perceived from a personal, and global perspective.

Hey, I looked up "Lateralus" in the dictionary and it's not even a word!!! According to you, the title must be totally meaningless... right? Hey wait, Ænima isn't listed either!

This is the definition for a word you should learn.
1 : a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them

Tool isn't Disturbed... "dude."

TheDisturbed1
12-02-2002, 01:43 AM
u r titled to ur opinion dude....i wont force u to change it at all...u know i explained the definition of SCHISM juss to get a clue to wot the song means...i never said that the song is all about wot the title means....and as far as i know in an interview maynard said he hasn't felt anything gr8 enugh to right about in lateralus...hes written all he has known....so if u break up wid someone..u FEEL bad..and if u tok about about ppl losing the love for each othet...u write what u know...so...i guess i said all i cud...open up ur mind a lil' bit!and u take the neway u want....that church division thingee was only my opinion....chill out buddy!

alzimmoralius
12-05-2002, 01:37 PM
The dissonance might refer to "deconstructionism", and "post-modernism", which isn't about assonance, and perfect harmony, but the shattering of genral ideas and rules, and how these splinters can be beautiful as well...

Faaip_de_Oiad
12-08-2002, 07:02 PM
I totally agree with ThreeDeviations. Couldn't have said it better myself.

TooMuchPressure
12-09-2002, 02:04 PM
ThreeDeviations, *claps* I completely agree. I love you.

ShackledEidolon
12-09-2002, 02:41 PM
What about yet another spin on things.

Schism might be talking about the spiritual side of a person that is left alone, no communication. From other boards we have been talking about perception into other states and that these skills may have been lost. Some of the references in this song such as watch the tower tople over throws back to say the Tower of babel. SO perhaps it is stating that without communication between the waking reality and the inner reality we will become cold inside and a wasteland...

poetry from the inter-relation of body and soul, circling or look from other vantages, and finding the reason for there to be both...how they relate to one another...beauty. Fundamentally the Body and Soul (or whatever you want to call it) are different. Things in everyday life turn our intentions onto things such as cars and money and pent up frustration or lust or any other part of the physical condition...it is acceptable to focus on these and so our body and soul grow apart...that same intention force of will that once created both and that was similar between both is now the reason that they grow apart the fuel, the fire.

Certainly if we continue to ignore that part of ourselves and do not use it then it will atrophy into nothing...and if you can sit back and watch the withering of a part of you then how can you share feelings with it and yourself...or anything else really.

Agree Disagree but think all the same

Stinkarm
12-11-2002, 03:44 PM
i thought this song was about the band and their old record company
well, it might be mainly about the band itself cause the band members split up for a little bit to do their own things and lost communication for a while

Reverend Jacob
12-12-2002, 02:59 AM
Goodness, people, why does this song have to be about meaningless, modern, physical states of being? I like the religion ideas much better?
Taoists belive that the universe was created when God (the Tao) divided itself from itself, that there simply WAS before there was good/evil, beautiful/ugly, right/wrong, matter/energy. The Split that is referred to then is no less than the split between us and God. A completely false schism created by our perception. And this split from God took us away from ourselves. Ultimately then, the difficulty in communication is with ourself. We can't even say what we want to say because we percieve oursleves as seperate and alone. Words are inadequate to convey our thoughts and emotions. Since this 'wrongness', this split, occured before there was even such a thing as a mind or a self, it's nobody's fault. None to blame.
The Tumbling down reflects on Kabalistic beliefs. Namely, the Tree of Life, Energy cascading through the sephira until it came to be stable in the tenth realm, our physical reality. We can't even tell that it's all energy yet. But we can move closer to the Godhead, We can learn to communicate again, with God and through this, with eachother. And just think of the possibility, when God can hear us praying in our thoughts, that we might be able to hear eachother the same way.
The two lovers are the two faces of God. The Creator(Christian God) and the Judge/Destroyer(christian Devil). The Split created these two faces, as a matter of defining creation and destruction. It had to be for there to be definition, percievable reality. Without ugliness, what is beauty? It is only through this split that there can be meaning in anything. We call destruction bad so creation can be good. When we can reconcile good and evil, creation and destruction, these urges within ourselves, then we can truly begin to communicate. And to reconcile these things we have to give up on the ideals of good and bad(the dangers of our second guessing is to see ourselves as bad or unworthy), and realize how truly wonderful it is to exist, to exemplify what it is to have faith.
And the Cold silence is our modern disbelief in God and spiritual forces. Strange that in this moment when Science is just starting to define the realms beyond the physical for the common mind(like quantum physics), the common mind is disregarding God. After all, if we can't see it, can it exist?
No matter. In a million years or so, we'll be nothing more than mineral deposits or random DNA fragments landing on a far away planet via some meteorite. God sure makes suckers of us for not believing in him...

ShackledEidolon
12-12-2002, 10:39 AM
Very insightful look into the song. Such would make quite a lot of sense. Looking at the video the 2 characters are of opposite sex and are therefore fundamentally different and yet by the end of the video they come together and meld into one being after they realize that they are one and the same. Its interesting how during the video the male character seems to start growing the females traits (hair-like structures) after behaving in the same way as the female character...its interesting how many philosophies agree with this point. That in essence everything is part of itself. We are facets of God or whatever you would like to refer to seperated by the defining qualities of the ego or conscious psyche.

Thanks for the good reading

ThreeDeviations
12-12-2002, 01:42 PM
My (our) life is far from "meaningless."

As far as "modern" - We could have a long way to go. "Modern" using what as criteria?
On a timeline, we could be in our infancy. So you may perceive things in a modern way, it doesn't mean others do, and it certainly doesn't mean you're right. (or wrong)

And as for the song Schism... It does take place in the physical world/physical being. . . Because "I watched them fall away..."
(Unless, of course, you're suggesting Maynard was there with God when this "split" that you refer to occured.)

BTW- who told you about this split.... and how it was merely "was" before that? One PERSON come up with the idea and pass it on down the line? So now it's truth?

Here's a segment of my poem for you.

Remember in class
when the teacher played that game
where everyone whispered a sentence
to see if it were the same?

So 25 people could not get it right?!?
So how do you think that millions might?

I'm just devil's advocate
so don't vent on me
it's just your ethnocentrism
bothering me...

4 degrees is directly divine.
reflection is directly divine.
schism is, indirectly.

J1516
12-13-2002, 08:25 PM
I really don't like reverend pretentious' take on it. It's like you listen to music to prove you're intelligent and don't try to put in any feeling or personality behind it. Look at me I think i'll call myself reverend and talk about taoist beliefs. Oh no wait, you are.
I liked the opinions here up until that. It's like that whole Fibonnaci sequence thing with Lateralus. It doesn't add to any emotional feelings thats supposed to be what the music is all about. Music isn't about showing that you're the smartest person out of everyone else, it's about the feelings for me, and any states of being.
But as far as the religion thing goes, I think I see where you're comming from. For example historical events like the great schism but oh, that's not pretentious enough for reverend pretentious here.
In my life I never feel any split between me and god. The song to me feels like separation and isolation. In their video at concerts they have a row of things connected trhough thier heads, and then a picture of one who's standing alone, covered in shadow, and spikes all around his head, meaning to me: isolaton.
I don't need to have my music prove I'm an intelligent person. I need my music to portray something personal or spiritual to me, and that's what this is.
Every tool song takes place physically in some way, though the songs that take place in more of a psychological place are meant to influence physical actions. Spiral out keep going is meant for you to venture out into the world and live. Parabol/a says spinning waving round each new experiance, etc.
I'm not saying all this in a bad or harsh tone because I don't like your opinion, i'm saying that because you claim our ideas are meaningless when I find your idea to be useless, and meaningless to the way I live.(and probably the way you live)

ThreeDeviations
12-14-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by J1516

It's like that whole Fibonnaci sequence thing with Lateralus. It doesn't add to any emotional feelings, that's supposed to be what the music is all about.

Amen, J1516~

For me, there's nothing more frustrating and puzzling than coming on here and reading people's thoughts on songs... and repeatedly seeing words like...

Phychedelics
Altered states...
Hallucinogenics
Ritual Magick
Quantum physics
Satan
Taoism
DMT
Acid
Shrooms
Psychoactives

and the list goes on and on....

I'm so sick of seeing that crap.

I don't go drugs.
Don't care much for people who do.

"But Tool's done drugs." I don't care. That's also, not the point.

The point is, you shouldn't need any type of mind altering garbage to appreciate, enhance or understand Tool... and that's the bottom line.

People claiming you have to be on some drug to fully experience the song, 3rd Eye. Garbage.
People who claim drugs help you "open your 3rd eye..." nonsense.

Tool's music is so perfect in a sober frame of thought- why anyone would feel the need to alter something that's already as good as it gets... dumb.

If you "experience more" when you're on drugs listening to Tool... then you weren't actually "listening" in the first place.

In regard to analyzing songs....
There's a difference between analyzing...and looking up the history on ritual magick, Taoism, quantum physics and blah blah blah blah fuckin blah to incorporate it into an interpretation.

Back to drugs...

"The brain is a natural drug." (As one member of TDN stated.) Amen.

If you don't feel your brain is stimulating "you" enough, instead of doing drugs....try reading a book, try looking up at the stars and pondering our galaxy, try listening to nature on a summer night, try breathing- and not taking it for granted...

watch the weather change.

LyingRealist
12-17-2002, 04:04 AM
Thats a lovely way to put it i guess.

But from what you say I take it you've never tried drugs.
Now I'm not claiming that drugs give you special powers, but, it's true (sadly) that there are things our brains are capable of
but we just dont know how.

In my personal experience with drugs they sometimes remove barriers that prevent you from being able to say look at something from a different perspective. To think more
now you may be oen of the lucky ones who are able to analyze everything from different points of view at will, but for me (who can't always) its lovely to be able to think more laterally than i do in a normal state of mind.

And having noticed something when under the influence of drugs I can look at it and think why didnt I look at it like that before? even in a normal state of mind I am able to look at it in the same way, the drugs just helped me to notice it first.

I'm not endorsing drugs or anything just trying to give you an insight into how I feel drugs can help me look at life better.
I mean I read alot, I especially love looking at the stars and pondering existence in general but I can still appreciate how drugs make me feel and think.
Its an experience that is there to be experienced, its a choice
not an order.

Well I think I've come across as a drug dealer trying to trick you into buying my wares but I'm just trying to give you something to think about.

~less judgement, more tolerance~

TheDisturbed1
12-19-2002, 05:54 AM
k lets put it this way..i divide music into two parts...the way i interpret and the way i think the writer had in mind!....while listening to the song i think that its about lack of unity among ppl and what i think the writer had in mind was division of church or the distortion of religious truth caused due to exchanging of believes...i dunt say three devation or woteva his name is wrong...but i want to tell u guyz to open up ur mind and not criticise nebody elses opinion...and thats another thing this song tells us about!...may God bless ya....

TheDisturbed1
12-20-2002, 01:55 AM
and i agree wid threedeviation's last post!...

The Emir
01-15-2003, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ThreeDeviations
[B]

Hi. I just signed up to this board, and I want to make one thing clear, that I do in fact believe in everyone having thier own opinion, etc. etc. And as an "NGT" who just got into TOOL recently, I'm not as educated about them as you might be, so please be patient (when you teach your kid to walk, to yell when he/she falls down?) With that said...

IMHO, which I have every right to, ThreeDeviations is speaking in cant. That is, for those who don't know hypocritical speech. You're sick of hearing about plants that we have been given to help us in our development. TS, I'm sick of hearing about aetheism and faith-bashing. So what?

You seem to imply that we're not smart, well, first of all, I read books all the time, in fact I'm WRITING a book, nearly 100 pages into it. Second, Herbs heal, and we can not move on until mankind accepts that. Grow up.

Peace out.

The Emir
01-15-2003, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Emir
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by ThreeDeviations
[B]

What I meant was, TOOL promotes openmindedness in their songs, and to dislike somebody just because they use some herb or mushroom or cactus or whatever, who cares? Most can be used responsibly, but it's stupid to argue, because we all know that prohibition is unjust, etc.

As for Schism, the part about the temple tumbling over may very well have been about the Tower of Bable, and Babel sounds like the Hebrew word for "confused..." I interpret it (and much of Tool's stuff) as having a quite a spiritual theme.

-- Peace, salaam

The Emir
01-15-2003, 08:03 PM
Not to right a "me too" post, but you hit the nail on the head. But IMHO, the pieces are coming back together...

ThreeDeviations
01-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Emir.

This was your quote...
"You're sick of hearing about plants that we have been given to help us in our development."

So now marijuana and "Herbs" are a necessity for our "development" as humans? Haha, now that's funny.

a FEW short-term effects of marijuana include:

problems with memory and learning
distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
trouble with thinking and problem-solving
loss of coordination; and
increased heart rate, anxiety.

Those are only a few symptoms...
Apparently your idea of "development" is different than mine.

Plants provide the base ingredients for cocaine and heroin, too... I'm sure those are good for you, too.
"Hey, it's natural.. so it must be good and must be intended for me!!!"
Not every thing on Earth is for humans to manipulate. (Let alone to argue that it's essential in our development)

Hey, the venom in snakes is natural... so go suck on some of their venom. (It's essential in your development)
25 foot waves are natural... go try surfing em. That, of course... is essential, too.

Yes, I did say I don't care much for people who do drugs... that's true. However, the point of my post was explaining that you don't need drugs in order to understand or appreciate Tool's music.

We cannot "move on" until we accept that "herbs heal?" Ha

You're writing a book? Good for you. When you're done, send it to me... I'll edit the book for you.

As for implying that "we are not smart?" Are you referring to those people who do drugs?

I'm not saying people who do drugs are automatically less "intelligent" than someone who doesn't use.
I AM saying that I think it's ignorant to be a chronic drug user... whether it's cocaine, heroin, marijuana or alcohol.
Add cigarettes to that list, too...

BTW do you HORT and FOTRY and occasionally MOHR to the GCOQ by the 4th CILFTU?

I guess I need to "GROW UP" and "DEVELOP" in order to understand all the great things like tar, cancer, memory loss, anxiety and the munchies. Hopefully... it will happen soon.

but in the meantime...

"Peace Out!"

The Emir
01-17-2003, 12:41 PM
I wish we didn't have to argue about this here, as it's not really relevant to Schism, but you said some false things, so I shall correct you.

Ironic that you call it marijuana- Mexican slang term used by
legendary paranoid, Mexican-hating, jazz-hating greed-stricken hypocrite, William Randolph Hearst in his tabloids, claiming that this herb lead to the corruption of white women into liking jazz music, 'marijuana-crazed negroes' raping white women, and etc etc, all because industrial hemp- which no one knew was the same plant as marijuana, which they had been brainwashed into hating- posed a threat to his timber business... Pancho Villa took his timberland in Mexico and gave it back to the Mexican people, which fueled Hearts' lies, which is the source of your beliefs.

"Marijuana",... Maria+Juan, as in Mary and John (?)

First, about cancer... tobacco and marijuana affect two different parts of the lung. Tobacco causes severe irritation to the small airways, while cannabis only causes mild irritation to the much stronger large airways. After neary 5,000 years of use, not *one* case of cancer had been linked to pot alone (that is, excluding the combo of pot & tobacco). There is almost no tar in grass at all, completely the opposite of tobacco. And unlike tobacco, which constricts the bronchial tubes, causing asthma, cannabis dialates them (allowing the brain to recieve more oxygen than usual), and one hit can stop an asthma attack.

The munchies is medicinal, ibna kabaal! The appetite stimulation is used in treating anorexia, bullima (sp?), wasting syndrome (side effect of chemo), etc. It has, in fact, been used as medicine for*ever*, the first known medical reccommendation of it's use coming from Chinese emperor Shen Nung at around 27,00 BC.

THC has its own receptors in the brain, so don't tell me that weren't meant to use it. And it has everything to do with development of humans. Every civilization used it and had epiphanies on it, Buddha used it, Moses used it, Jesus used it, etc.

If you ever get herpes, soak the buds in a solvent (ie rubbing alcohol) and apply the ointment to the inflamed area, and within days the herpes die. This may have been how lepers were healed etc.

And what about trees? If we don't stop cutting them down, we won't be around much longer. One acre of hemp makes as much paper as 4.1 acres of trees. And unlike cotton, which uses 50% of pesticides, hemp uses none. Hemp seed contains so much protein and essential fatty acids that Buddha survived one seed a day. Birds love the seeds, in fact sterilized seeds are put in birdfeed to this day, and some birds even pick out the hemp seeds and eat them first.

If you think that it causes cancer, I assume that you believe Ronny Reagan when he claimed it causes brain damage, and had Dr. Heath kill a bunch of monkeys just to "prove it"... that's right, he strapped those gas masks on so tight that they got no oxygen, and lost brain cells from lack of oxygen. Today, no one uses his studies because thye have no value.

Sorry, but you're wrong.
- Salaam

The Emir
01-19-2003, 04:16 PM
And another thing, as for your claim that Maynard would never write about "organized religion" unless to "bash it". Really? Where was this written in stone? How do you know that Maynard isn't religious? Do you know him. And don't try to say that religious people are ignorant, because I think it's pretty stupid and futile to continue living whilst believing that there is no deeper meaning in life. And herbs haven't helped us develop, huh? Hmmm, that's funny, especially since primitive man developed the ability to speech through the use of psychoactives. And the herb has overthrown countless oppressive regimes (including that of Satan...), but, as Harry Anslinger said, "marijuana makes negroes think they're as good as white men", and I wouldn't put it past an intolerant, faithless, unappreciative person such as yourself to agree with him. I see that you haven't responded to my post, meaning that you gave up. Thank you for that, now to talk about Schism...

This song can both be about 'communication in general' and be about the church at the same time. Much of TOOL's songs have more than meaning, I think. As I said, Babil sounds like the Hebrew word for confused, so the religious connotation may actually be an illusion to some other kind of schism.

N O M O R E B L O O D F O R O I L
-- salaam

ThreeDeviations
01-21-2003, 01:31 PM
As for your marijuana justification.... good for you. I don't care to continue using logic with you. It doesn't penetrate your smoke filled melon.
Your "negro" and "ancient civilizations" blah blah blah crap is rather entertaining and a decent workout for my abs... but not worth my time.

As for your other amusing remarks...
I said "I doubt" Maynard would write about "organized" religion unless to bash it... of course it's not in "stone." This is an OPINION page.
(Try reading the lyrics to the song "Opiate" to get an understanding... people who 'represent' organized religion.)

I definitely feel Maynard is spiritual, and has a belief in some higher existence. (The fact that he wrote the lyrics to Lateralus is way more than enough if you hadn't already understood this) If you ever read my posts thoroughly, you'd understand that I've felt this way. (Maybe you did read them... but just couldn't remember.)
There is a difference between being "religious" and believing in God. Maybe you should smoke a fatty and ponder that.
That's actually a very blatant message that you should've picked up on years ago, Mr.NGT.

So I am "intolerant, faithless and unappreciative??" You must be high and drunk. Yes, I don't have much tolerance for people like you... so you did get that one right. I am not "faithless," and I am certainly not unappreciative. You have no idea how wrong you are... ignorance is bliss. You must be a very happy person.

Happy smoking.

nameless
01-21-2003, 02:00 PM
allthough i just posted a new topic with the same thought as the one that this one startd off with (sorry i posted my new thread first and then read this one) i must say im intrigued by ShackledEidolon's views on this, i hadnt thought of it that way and i most certainly will try that point of view the next time i hear it and meditate about/on it.
then: about drugs.
some people have the inate ability to switch their states of mind very easily, and some dont even notice, others cant really at all by themselves and need some other form of stimulation.
i personally can, but the states i can choose from/change into are almost always states already familiar to me and the only time a new state comes to me is when a totally new impulse/situation occurs.
now ive smoked quite some pot and it has shown me unique new ways to think/feel/meditate about things but now that i know those ways i no longer need pot to get there, but other people do.
its just about expanding your mind to me...
as for the physical effects etc, the target of weed is the mind so i dont see the physical aspect as a very interesting/important thing when discussing drugs and such.

Defgarden
01-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Hello, new member here.

I just wanted to post my thoughts on the song and this drug issue if I may.

Drugs: I've done my share of drugs in the past. It was fun, and to a point rather enlightening, though runs with the law and such have hampered my desire to continue really. But anyway, I will agree with ThreeD to a point that drugs are not neccessary at all for spritual enlightenment or are really a neccessary part of our developement. Though I feel in some instances, some drugs can be used as sort of a primer. Weed can help you connect with music, shrooms can alter your way of thinking to open up new ideas and view points that you previously hadn't realized, and I used to use them for psuedo-spiritual purposes. Though, ultimately, nothing can really compare to complete sober development I feel. But anyways, I don't wanna get in this debate really, so I'll just say a few things about the song.

Schism is a very powerful song for me. It's superficial meanings of a once healthy relationship between both lovers (an ex-lover of mine) and brothers (my circle of friends) became very clear and apparent. I shared a love with this girl, but eventually we became distant and cold. We also shared the same cricle of friends, and so our biterness carried onto the rest of the group. The "cold silence" to me symbolized the inability to share our true thoughts and feelings to each other. It also represented the far distance we had put between ourselves. In our "silence" we became distant and "cold."

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any compassion between supposed lovers/brothers.

It summed up my situation. Though this is a rather simple interpretation it was quite powerful and profound to me. We eventually had to learn to communicate better with each other in order to begin to once again have the compassion needed to remain friends.

But also, about the lovers/brothers thing.
I don't know if anyone else posted this already...
I was reading today some bits about the Tarot, specifically, the Book of Thoth. I came to a description of the card "The Lovers" and found that one of it's other names is "The Brothers." Perhaps this song included a reference to this?
The Twins depicted on the card are said to represent the Zodiacal sign Gemini. I'll quote the book now.

"The Hebrew Letter corresponding is Zain, which means a Sword...The Sword is primarily an engine of division. In its original form (the card) it was the story of Creation."

Now, this makes a little sense, seeming that Schism means to divide or split. Some people envision the process of creation as a cycle of splitting and re-union. Just some thoughts.